Author whiteknighting for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invincibility

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the right forum for this? If not, sorry. Clearly I need to get out of the QUILTBAG more often ^^;

Dennis R. Upkins is the author of a YA novel called Hollowstone and noted Livejournal misogynist -- for more details, see this Tumblr post. Because of his woman-hating, threatening-to-strangle-lesbians-with-piano-wire ways, Hollowstone has gotten some bad reviews on Amazon. And, to be fair, the book is pretty awful.

But it's also getting some positive reviews! Such as this one (review removed, post edited to change the link), from... Dennis Upkins, who apparently submitted his credit card information to Amazon so that their "Real Name" verification would make his bisexual female sockpuppet look more legitimate, but didn't realize that it would also make his actual name show up.

(Caps in case it gets deleted: here and here.)

I'm not published yet, but thanks to seeing all these published authors reacting so poorly to online criticism, I've learned some valuable lessons for the future. Like, look up how Amazon.com works before I try to whiteknight myself. :D

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's hilarious!

I didn't know Amazon did that. :ROFL:

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
He just about killed his sales right there.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen many cases of #authorfail in the attempt to review one's own books, but this is a new low. Plus really funny.

:ROFL:

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like the review was deleted off amazon (or at least your link does not work). That is so mortifying, though. I could almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel sorry for him. This guy is a known misogynistic jerk in the online community, as noted by the OP.

Deleted member 42

What is it with men pretending to be queer women? Seriously, what is it? Is it that male entitlement thing in yet another form?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
What is it with men pretending to be queer women? Seriously, what is it? Is it that male entitlement thing in yet another form?

I think they pretend to be chicks to get gender legitimacy, but they can't bring themselves to pretend to be chicks who get boinked by guys.

Mysty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
artisticlicensebook.wordpress.com
I think they pretend to be chicks to get gender legitimacy, but they can't bring themselves to pretend to be chicks who get boinked by guys.

Ah, but this particular one was pretending to be a BISEXUAL woman. Of course the fact that the sockpuppet was bi didn't really matter. From what I know of him, it was probably just him yelling "LOOKIT ME I'M NOT HOMOPHOBIC, LGBT PEOPLE LOVE MY WORK!"

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
This one just keeps getting better. The author is claiming he's the victim of "cyberstalking."

Someone else created a sock puppet account to give his book a good review, then made sure to give his credit card info so the sock puppet account would get Amazon's "real name" badge with the author's name?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Ah, but this particular one was pretending to be a BISEXUAL woman. Of course the fact that the sockpuppet was bi didn't really matter. From what I know of him, it was probably just him yelling "LOOKIT ME I'M NOT HOMOPHOBIC, LGBT PEOPLE LOVE MY WORK!"

From what I understand, he identifies as gay himself. But his vitriol is pure misogyny for any woman of any sexual identity.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Great find, Invincibility :)

This is going around on Twitter. He's definitely getting some great publicity here.

Ashleigh Nicole

But you can call me Paige.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ashleighcalhoun.blogspot.com
This is embarassing for him on so many levels. Not only does he look dumb for posting an obvious sockpuppet review for his own book, but people outside the usual LJ circles know about him and his online persona now and get to see all the misogynistic things he's said. It's such a shame I can't feel sorry for him.

I love when things like this happen. I get entertained for an afternoon and get educated on yet another thing not to do if I'm ever published, whether professional or not.

Mysty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
artisticlicensebook.wordpress.com
From what I understand, he identifies as gay himself. But his vitriol is pure misogyny for any woman of any sexual identity.

The sad thing is, this wouldn't be the first time I've seen an author identify as gay and have an incredible hatred for people of their own sexuality. The only thing that would make it better would be if the author were actually a woman- and by better I of course mean more hilarious in a train wreck sort of way.

Deleted member 42

He does; but he's claiming to be a queer woman, and he isn't.

He's putting rampant misogyny (including totally heteronormative attitudes about lesbian, bisexual and transwomen) into the mouth of a fake queer woman.

And not for the first time.

It's a double-helping of fucked-uppedness on top of his misogyny.

Status
Not open for further replies.