PDA

View Full Version : Author whiteknighting for himself

Invincibility
08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Is this the right forum for this? If not, sorry. Clearly I need to get out of the QUILTBAG more often ^^;

Dennis R. Upkins is the author of a YA novel called Hollowstone (http://www.amazon.com/Hollowstone-Dennis-R-Upkins-Jr/dp/1463504373/ref=cm_rdp_product) and noted Livejournal misogynist -- for more details, see this Tumblr post (http://alphamaleneo.tumblr.com/post/9010862834/professional-author-dennis-r-upkins-is-a-giant). Because of his woman-hating, threatening-to-strangle-lesbians-with-piano-wire ways, Hollowstone has gotten some bad reviews on Amazon. And, to be fair, the book is pretty awful.

But it's also getting some positive reviews! Such as this one (http://sf-drama.livejournal.com/3274823.html) (review removed, post edited to change the link), from... Dennis Upkins, who apparently submitted his credit card information to Amazon so that their "Real Name" verification would make his bisexual female sockpuppet look more legitimate, but didn't realize that it would also make his actual name show up.

(Caps in case it gets deleted: here (http://i55.tinypic.com/2n81p3n.png) and here (http://i55.tinypic.com/168z8k0.png).)

I'm not published yet, but thanks to seeing all these published authors reacting so poorly to online criticism, I've learned some valuable lessons for the future. Like, look up how Amazon.com works before I try to whiteknight myself. :D

blacbird
08-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Yet another thing I can cross off my list of matters to worry about, ever.

caw

Filigree
08-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Oh, that was painful to watch.

backslashbaby
08-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh, that's hilarious!

I didn't know Amazon did that. :ROFL:

SBibb
08-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Wow, ouch.

AlwaysJuly
08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Oops! That seems like pretty much the worst possible tact to take in response to those reviews and blog posts...

RedRajah
08-30-2011, 09:25 PM
That guy is vile. I'm glad this got posted to AW.

Darkshore
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
He just about killed his sales right there.

bearilou
08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
:ROFL:

Soccer Mom
08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I've seen many cases of #authorfail in the attempt to review one's own books, but this is a new low. Plus really funny.

:ROFL:

Marcus Avenier
08-31-2011, 12:20 AM
oooooooo em geeeeeeee

the laughter. it does not stop. even through the cringing.

G. Applejack
08-31-2011, 12:32 AM
It looks like the review was deleted off amazon (or at least your link does not work). That is so mortifying, though. I could almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

Alessandra Kelley
08-31-2011, 12:40 AM
It's not showing up on your Amazon link, but I had a look at your screen shots.

Too funny.

absitinvidia
08-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Don't feel sorry for him. This guy is a known misogynistic jerk in the online community, as noted by the OP.

Medievalist
08-31-2011, 12:56 AM
What is it with men pretending to be queer women? Seriously, what is it? Is it that male entitlement thing in yet another form?

Alessandra Kelley
08-31-2011, 12:58 AM
What is it with men pretending to be queer women? Seriously, what is it? Is it that male entitlement thing in yet another form?

I think they pretend to be chicks to get gender legitimacy, but they can't bring themselves to pretend to be chicks who get boinked by guys.

rosiroo
08-31-2011, 01:06 AM
heh. saw this over on livejournal, glad to see it here too!

Mysty
08-31-2011, 01:23 AM
I think they pretend to be chicks to get gender legitimacy, but they can't bring themselves to pretend to be chicks who get boinked by guys.

Ah, but this particular one was pretending to be a BISEXUAL woman. Of course the fact that the sockpuppet was bi didn't really matter. From what I know of him, it was probably just him yelling "LOOKIT ME I'M NOT HOMOPHOBIC, LGBT PEOPLE LOVE MY WORK!"

MacAllister
08-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Heh. According to him, he wasn't sock-puppeting - it was racist impersonator trolls (http://neo-prodigy.livejournal.com/997864.html?format=light)!

Never mind that's just not how Amazon's "Real Person" system works.

absitinvidia
08-31-2011, 01:30 AM
This one just keeps getting better. The author is claiming he's the victim of "cyberstalking."

Someone else created a sock puppet account to give his book a good review, then made sure to give his credit card info so the sock puppet account would get Amazon's "real name" badge with the author's name?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

RedRajah
08-31-2011, 01:30 AM
Ah, but this particular one was pretending to be a BISEXUAL woman. Of course the fact that the sockpuppet was bi didn't really matter. From what I know of him, it was probably just him yelling "LOOKIT ME I'M NOT HOMOPHOBIC, LGBT PEOPLE LOVE MY WORK!"

From what I understand, he identifies as gay himself. But his vitriol is pure misogyny for any woman of any sexual identity.

Becca_H
08-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Great find, Invincibility :)

This is going around on Twitter. He's definitely getting some great publicity here.

Ashleigh Nicole
08-31-2011, 01:41 AM
This is embarassing for him on so many levels. Not only does he look dumb for posting an obvious sockpuppet review for his own book, but people outside the usual LJ circles know about him and his online persona now and get to see all the misogynistic things he's said. It's such a shame I can't feel sorry for him.

I love when things like this happen. I get entertained for an afternoon and get educated on yet another thing not to do if I'm ever published, whether professional or not.

Mysty
08-31-2011, 01:41 AM
From what I understand, he identifies as gay himself. But his vitriol is pure misogyny for any woman of any sexual identity.

The sad thing is, this wouldn't be the first time I've seen an author identify as gay and have an incredible hatred for people of their own sexuality. The only thing that would make it better would be if the author were actually a woman- and by better I of course mean more hilarious in a train wreck sort of way.

Medievalist
08-31-2011, 01:48 AM

He does; but he's claiming to be a queer woman, and he isn't.

He's putting rampant misogyny (including totally heteronormative attitudes about lesbian, bisexual and transwomen) into the mouth of a fake queer woman.

And not for the first time.

It's a double-helping of fucked-uppedness on top of his misogyny.

Jamesaritchie
08-31-2011, 02:10 AM
It's a createspace novel, so who cares? The odds of it selling ten copies, unless people go all over the Internet talking about this review stunt, are pretty much zero.

bearilou
08-31-2011, 02:13 AM
Heh. According to him, he wasn't sock-puppeting - it was racist impersonator trolls (http://neo-prodigy.livejournal.com/997864.html?format=light)!

Never mind that's just not how Amazon's "Real Person" system works.

...aaaand comments are disabled.

That was his first smart move so far.

jamiehall
08-31-2011, 02:20 AM
This is the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a long, long time.

It's exploding across multiple communities and websites. The author is never going to be able to live it down, I think.

Ari Meermans
08-31-2011, 02:27 AM
It's a double-helping of fucked-uppedness on top of his misogyny.

FTW!

Mysty
08-31-2011, 02:31 AM
It's a createspace novel, so who cares? The odds of it selling ten copies, unless people go all over the Internet talking about this review stunt, are pretty much zero.

Well no one normally, but this author seemed to have gotten a reputation before he put out his book. It already had quite a bit of negative reviews, and that sock puppet attempt was caught same-day according to the time stamps in the screencap. It's kind of like asking why people care about Charlie Sheen- there are plenty of messed up celebrities, so why's he special? Because he just is, I guess.

Polenth
08-31-2011, 02:36 AM
Yet another thing I can cross off my list of matters to worry about, ever.

Impersonating a bisexual woman was on your list in the first place? :Wha:

G. Applejack
08-31-2011, 03:00 AM

That is a good point. I wonder if this is some kind of publicity stunt to sell more copies? I've never heard of this guy before and suddenly I've seen him from several twitter friends along with a link that brought me back here. :/

BenPanced
08-31-2011, 03:08 AM
See? Some good has come from it: a new AW member!

:welcome:

veinglory
08-31-2011, 04:28 AM

Technically it is a "Parker Publishing" book.

Amadan
08-31-2011, 04:37 AM

But now he'll never live it down, even if he does find a real publisher (which he's now made even more unlikely).

Marzipan
08-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Yikes. I read a few tidbits of the first chapter and I can see why some of the reviewers are ready to stone him. Change your name dude. Move to the other side of the earth. Maybe the world won't remember you in a few years if you're lucky.

KTC
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh God, how utterly pathetic. Put a fork in him...

Xelebes
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Is this the "Mmmm, she's like" book? Or is that something else?

Invincibility
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Is this the "Mmmm, she's like" book? Or is that something else?
lmao! No, this is different -- this one has the supposedly-likeable "music theory" teacher telling a female woodwind player she needs to learn how to blow for both her music career and her sex life. (Also, music theory involves playing instruments rather than learning about, um, theory.)

jamiehall
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
That is a good point. I wonder if this is some kind of publicity stunt to sell more copies? I've never heard of this guy before and suddenly I've seen him from several twitter friends along with a link that brought me back here. :/

No, he's been a livejournal celebrity of sorts, with all sorts of fans, even before this.

If it is a stunt to sell more copies, it's got to be the worst and most embarrassing stunt he could have pulled.

IsisAnalysis
08-31-2011, 07:12 PM
He doesn't seem to have thought it through at any point. His actions, and his reactions, are jaw-dropping.

quicklime
08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
so, i've read his review, his rebuttal, etc., and at several points he has very explicitly said he is NOT a mysogynist and neither is any of his work.

Are you sure you guys didn't read it wrong, and misunderstnad, you know, 'cause you're slow women?

*runs like hell

areteus
08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh no, he's not a misogynist. He just hates women. That's not misogyny, right? :)

This sounds like a possible test of the adage 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. Anyone monitored his sales since this kicked off?

shaldna
08-31-2011, 08:02 PM
i actually almost feel sorry for the guy.

Becca_H
08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
This sounds like a possible test of the adage 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. Anyone monitored his sales since this kicked off?

You can have all the money in the world, but if people don't like you...

Or something, anyway.

areteus
09-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Money can't buy you love, as they say...

So, how many other cliches can we throw into this? We are writers so we should know cliche... :)

Manuel Royal
09-01-2011, 02:43 AM
At first, reading the reviews, I thought possibly people were unfairly accusing him of misogyny, based on his writing a misogynist character. (Which definitely happens; some people assume that any words you put in a character's mouth must be your own real feelings.)

But ... no. That guy is a strange person.

Mr Flibble
09-01-2011, 04:26 AM
At first, reading the reviews, I thought possibly people were unfairly accusing him of misogyny, based on his writing a misogynist character. (Which definitely happens; some people assume that any words you put in a character's mouth must be your own real feelings.)

The way I see it..

A good writer can see from many views, including his own, and they may shade what he writes, but to extrapolate his feelings would be like peeling an onion. and an inexact science at best

A not so good writer - no layers. Or maybe one thin one, and then the core. Or a couple of flaky, hastily adapted ones.

'They' say you can't tall a writer's views from what he writes. With regard to those who know what they're about, this may be true. With a good writer, it;d take a lot of effort unravel all those layers, and then maybe, possibly you could extract something, and you might be wrong.

But there are still plenty of writers where it is painfully apparent what their views on some subjects are (sometimes not in the course of one book, but recurring themes/attitudes/the way things are dealt with etc. over the course of several books. Really evident writers show it all in one book.)

fireluxlou
09-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Hmm this guy, followed the tag on the livejournal post that was posted in the OP ... wow. One author to never read, ever. He really hates women and sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Marian Perera
09-03-2011, 04:53 AM
I'd like to see Dennis R. Upkins meet allecto (http://allecto.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/a-rapists-view-of-the-world-our-mrs-reynolds-part-one/). They would annihilate each other.

AlwaysJuly
09-04-2011, 06:09 AM
I'd like to see Dennis R. Upkins meet allecto (http://allecto.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/a-rapists-view-of-the-world-our-mrs-reynolds-part-one/). They would annihilate each other.
Wow, I wish I hadn't followed that link. Her writing genuinely makes me sick to my stomach -- and not because she's right about the world.

But you'd certainly have an interesting matchup between them.