• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Mentioning Reality Television?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Is it infringing on trademarks to mention real reality shows but using fictional contestants?

In the book World War Z, the author mentions a lot of TV shows and reality TV but not by name. (A comedian pundant and a his nemesis a leathery blonde, a rich, tired looking bitch with a small dog who's only famous for being rich and tired looking, a heavy, black man who won a singing show...)

So, is it alright to mention American Idol, Big Brother and Fear Factor, or should it be I Can Be An Idol, Always Watching and Extreme Thrillfactor?

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
So, is it alright to mention American Idol, Big Brother and Fear Factor, or should it be I Can Be An Idol, Always Watching and Extreme Thrillfactor?

If the story is about the shows, then you should make up fictional names. On the copyright page, you also have to make a statement that no resemblance to real reality shows or their trademarks is intended. Your names are great (I Can Be An Idol), but it's obviously based on a real show, unless you make your depiction so different from the real thing that no resemblance can be inferred.

If your descriptions are negative, all the more important to distance your reality shows from the real ones.

If you're only mentioning the actual shows, feel free.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I used I Can Be An Idol for my sprite comic, which is a parody.

Negative things happen to these characters but they just happen to have been reality show characters in the past and now are just "Famous for being famous".

Now, in the case of the fake name of "Always Watching" it can be implied to be either Real World or Big Brother whereas I Can Be An Idol is clearly Idol.

Status
Not open for further replies.