Beating a high-tech spy/thief with low-tech

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who breaks into a police station/municipal building to steal evidence that would exonerate a good guy and hides her tracks. She is smart and sophisticated and good at what she does, and very, very condescending.

There is much panic over this good guy not getting his name cleared.

I have another character who is a curmudgeonly old b***ard who I want to be able to thwart her fancy schmancy techniques by going old-school and paranoid on her.

So that when everyone thinks all is lost, Curmudgeon breaks out with, "Did you think I'm stupid", reveals his possession of back-up evidence as well as a security system that couldn't be hacked by her modern techniques.

I was thinking maybe something like an old fashioned game camera (motion-triggered used by hunters).

It's a small part of the story, and I need just enough hand-wavium to make it plausible, if anyone has any tips or ideas.

Thanks!

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
How about a very thin trip wire setting off your camera, which could be a nanny cam, concealed in a teddy bear - even less high tech.

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I like! Especially the potential for later mockery.

Now, I would worry about making her seem too stupid to not notice a trip wire, and whether a trip wire would be necessary if the nanny cam was constantly recording or motion-activated.

Maybe if the security system that she overrides is wireless (I know nothing about wireless, this is wild speculation), and either the nanny cam is on a different wireless frequency, and she's targeting specifically, so she doesn't disable the secondary security, or the nannycam has a memory card/usb port that can download the information.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
Low-tech would be a cardboard box with a camcorder peeking through a hole. Or good old fashioned forensics, like she wears an extremely expensive perfume (http://luxatic.com/the-8-most-expensive-perfumes-in-the-world/) and they match the scent to her... or she leaves a hair (falls from under her cap or something)...

If going higher tech in security systems but not going all-out, Costco has some inexpensive starter security systems with cameras (link)

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe low-tech is the wrong phrasing.

The end result would be that she's so smart and technologically sophisticated that she gets tripped up by out-of-date methods. Almost but not quite a genius with no common sense, a victim of the modern age where people forget how to tell time on an analog clock, schools don't teach kids to write in cursive, what's-a-phone-book? way.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Add a brace of extremely well trained attack dogs, a handful of disguised webcams with dvr/live capabilities, and an old fashioned dye pack (bank robbery bait)... stir well and let simmer in your imagination...

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Just a note where the evidence should have been. "Smart ass"

A real mouse. Or a tarentula. Sends her screaming, triggering the alarm.

If the information is digital, you can always take away computer parts, or disconnect cables. All the guy has to do is get to the office early and put things back. The power cable or the keyboard (especially if it's an old one with the DIN connector) would do fine. And of course, leaving a note behind. "Ha! Try getting at the file now, bitch."

-cb

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the potential for so much crack!

The item being stolen is physical, and she actually does get it. It's proving who stole it (and therefore getting it back) that's the issue.

Maybe low-tech isn't the answer. Maybe he's a curmudgeon who's a tech genius, and there's a tracking device --ooh! He's so paranoid that he handed over a fake of the real item, and the fake has a tracking device in it. She's destroyed the fake by now, but the gps tracking was already logged. Too outlandish? It's kind of a noir story with supernatural elements . . . hmm, maybe the curmudgeon has a gift . . .

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Apply zinc sulfide powder on the object. The object and anything that came in contact with it will glow under a black light. Any other compound that can easily be uniquely identified on a mass spectrometry analyzer could also do. Alternatively, a compound that provoques a skin rash could also do.

-cb

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I was trying to think of a way to apply the bank note tampering dye. But what if the zinc sulfide was released at foot level in a subtle manner? If she was wearing gloves it wouldn't matter. And it would coat her shoes and she wouldn't be paying attention to what's going on silently down below. She'd leave tracks, shoe size, sex, weight, etc. as well as, if they guess that it was her, evidence to be found in her apartment.

TheBladeRoden

Can finally change his title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebladeroden.com
Invisible ink, or a magnifying glass focusing the sun, or a dollar bill attached to a fishing line, now those are old school

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Have you checked the spy tech books available at the library? I did some research for a project, and most of the technology there is from the Cold War era. In fact, there was a case in the news a year or so ago about how some spies were using something from that era, which made it harder to spot. They still got caught.