The main differences of US vs UK queries.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back again.

I figured I'm not the only one who could use a bit more advice on how to query UK vs. US agents. I've got my US query nice and sorted (thank you squirrels of Query Letter Hell), but I'm not sure how brief UK covering letters should be. I've got a draft that's 130 words, which seems ridiculously short. I've had a poke about the internet, but then here on AW I've seen that some people are having luck with more "American" style queries.

So, from what I understand, a cover letter is very short, more factual and usually less punchy, but with more emphasis on drawing comparisons to other works (which is really hard. Right now I'm tentatively calling mine a steampunk take on Middlesex and Water for Elephants).

Any other tips for formatting and what to include, points to relevant URLs, your experiences querying agents in both countries, and anything else is appreciated.

Why do you think UK agents and US agents have different philosophies on queries?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience UK covering letters don't need to do much more than give the word count, genre and contact details. Some agents do like to see a couple of comparisons but I wouldn't sweat it if you find that hard. The sample pages should be telling them they want to read more not the covering letter.
With most agenices you can phone them and ask, but be prepared to pitch the novel as you may speak directly to the agent.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Like what he said :D

The comparisons are to show you know your market. Some agents are hotter on them than others. If they say to include them, then do.

I always struggle with this part too. But
Right now I'm tentatively calling mine a steampunk take on Middlesex and Water for Elephants)
Sounds fairly okay to me. However, if it's steampunk, you might be better picking books in the fantasy genre. It's that 'know your market' thing again.

PM me a blurb if you want to brainstorm. I find it;s lots easier with other people's!

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Each agent will have their own submission guidelines, but from what I've seen the standard seems to be the first three chapters plus a 1-3 page synopsis--do you have one prepared?

If you've honed a "pitch paragraph" for your US queries I don't think it would hurt to include a shortened version in your cover letter. Agents will have to be able to summarise what your book is about when pitching it themselves, so if you're able to plant a succinct paragraph of a few lines in their minds they may already be thinking "I know which editor would be interested in this kind of thing" before they even try to get a handle on what your book is about from a multiple-page synopsis.

Right now I'm tentatively calling mine a steampunk take on Middlesex and Water for Elephants).

I'm no expert, but blending Fantasy, Literary and Mainstream Commercial in this way sounds alarm bells for me, to be honest, and I've seen agents warning against this in blogs. Awesome agent needs to clear about which shelf it fits on before he can start thinking about which imprints/editors to send it to. Sure, there are works that blur the boundaries between genres, but I think you need to be pitching it firmly at a concrete market initially and let others deliberate on the crossover appeal later--otherwise there may be a danger that you sound like you're not sure who your target audience is.

ETA: I am intrigued about your story though! :)

Last edited:

Gavin23

Dum Spiro, Spero.
Registered
Reaction score
Each agent will have their own submission guidelines, but from what I've seen the standard seems to be the first three chapters plus a 1-3 page synopsis--do you have one prepared?

This is almost exactly what I was going to say! It is what I've mostly come across on most submission guidelines :)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
When I was querying UK agents, I did a bit of a hybrid cover letter/query, so it wasn't exactly that short really. I compared my books to similar ones on the market, and also had a brief paragraph that hinted at what the book was about.

Oh hang it all. Here it is (this is from 2006 so things might have changed . . .):

* Dear Agent,

I am seeking representation for my children’s adventure novel, Alex_and_The_Ironic_Gentleman, complete at 90,000 words, with plans for a sequel. It is aimed at the 8 to 12-year-old market, but, like the Lemony_Snicket novels, is also marketable to adults who enjoy children’s literature.

Grounded in a world not too unlike our own, this novel takes place is a universe where pirates rule the high seas, Extremely Ginormus Octopi quote Shakespeare, and art-deco party trains hold deep dark secrets. This is a world in which Alex_Morningside, our heroine and also a very nice kid of ten and a half, finds herself on a quest, not only to find the Infamous_Wigpowder’s treasure, but her kidnapped year six teacher Mr._Underwood. On the way she will face tasks she never thought she was strong enough to endure and overcome them with grace and ingenuity. But she must use her judgment carefully. Can she, for example, trust Lord_Poppinjay or Coriander_the_Conjuror? Will Captain_Magnanimous live up to his name or is it a clever misnomer? Will she ever elude the Daughters_of_the_Founding_Fathers’_Preservation_Society? And what, oh what will she do when she finally comes face to face with Pirate_Captain_Steele_the_Inevitable, captain of the most deadly pirate ship to sail the seven seas – The_Ironic_Gentleman?

While this is my first children’s novel I have had one of my plays performed at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe to excellent reviews and sold out houses.

Please find enclosed a one-page synopsis along with the first three chapters of my novel for your perusal. Thank you for your consideration of this proposal. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Toothpaste

There you go. Not sure if this is remotely useful. But it did land me an agent back in the day.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If the UK agencies you're submitting to don't specify what they want send them a brief covering letter, a synopsis of two pages or so, and the first three chapters (or 50 pages if you have very long or short chapters) of your book.

For the covering letter, I wouldn't be as pitchy as Toothpaste was (but hers worked, so can't be all wrong). I'd just write something like this (only less hurried and far more polished):

Dear Agent,

I read in The Bookseller that you're on the lookout for new writers of contemporary romance. My novel Jane Knows Everything is a contemporary romance with a twist, and I enclose its first three chapters and a synopsis for your consideration. I hope you like it.

I've not had a novel published yet but my articles have appeared in The Sunday Times, The Guardian, and Self Build And Design; and I've had several short stories published in literary magazines like Panurge, Staple and The New Welsh Review.

I enclose an SAE for the return of my work but if you'd like to read more, you can reach me by phone or by email (my contact details are provided below).

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely

Clever Jane

That's a very rough letter. I'd refine it hugely before sending it: but it gives you an idea of how the covering letters required in the UK differ from the query letters which are required in the US. They're not pitches. They're covering letters.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I think I might do a blend of the two--come across as factual and professional, but still include my 4 sentence summary. We'll see how it goes.

I came up with some fantasy and science fiction-only titles. I threw in Middlesex because my character is intersex and Water for Elephants because he joins the circus.

Thanks all. Brilliant advice as usual.