Re-querying different agent at same agency after re-write

Jawahara

Registered
Reaction score
So, a year or more ago I queried an agent who requested the full ms and then passed. Since then I've made some significant changes in the ms and am now sending new queries out. That particular agent is no longer at the agency. So the question is this: is it okay to re-query the agency? What do you think?

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
It varies quite a bit. With some agencies, they pass things around so querying one is querying all, and a rejection is universal. With others, the agents act almost independently, and you can query more than one at the same agency. Usually (not always) you can gather what category the agency falls into by checking out the website or other information.

Seems to me that if the agent you originally queried is actually no longer there, you have little to lose by trying again unless you discover that this agency falls into the "query one, query all" category.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
That long with significant changes... I don't see a problem. I'd say go for it but find out as much as you can about how this particular agent works, like do they share queries and submissions? Do they mind if you resubmit the same work?
Is your title and query the same/similar?

You might want to let them know it is a re-submit if there is a chance they may remember your work.

I might be wrong but since it has been so long and there have been significant changes AND its not the same agent I think you'd be fine to send a query.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There's another default answer to this: err on the side of optimism (i.e., query). The worst they can ever do is say No.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
...But make sure, as always, to be polite and professional!