Eery or eerie?

annsquared

Hi.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I tried google and the AW search function, but couldn't find an answer to my silly little question.

I was always taught to spell eery 'eery', however, I've now had two betas correct it to 'eerie' (two others left it as-is).

Multiple searches are telling me they're both correct and mean the same thing. Is there a standard? Do I have to give up my eery spelling?

Thanks!

Bracken

Registered
Reaction score
It's eerie.

edit: I was wondering why you couldn't find such a simple piece of information on Google, so I tried googling it myself.
To my surprise, I found dictionary definitions for "eery", as well.
I'm a voracious reader, and I've never in my life encountered that particular spelling, but apparently it is a legitimate- if not particularly common- variation.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've always seen it Eerie.

In fact, back in the 70s, Warren put out a black and white horror magazine called Eerie.

eerie002.jpg

Last edited:

annsquared

Hi.
Registered
Reaction score
It's eerie.

edit: I was wondering why you couldn't find such a simple piece of information on Google, so I tried googling it myself.
I'm a voracious reader, and I've never in my life encountered that particular spelling, but apparently it is a legitimate- if not particularly common- variation.

:) See? I'm not crazy!! I was really surprised to find Google had failed me too! I spent my formative years at a small private school, and while the education was wonderful, every once in awhile I find little anomalies like this whole eerie vs. eery business.

Ah well. Off to hold a little burial for my eery spelling.

Thanks so much everyone!

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It's "eerie", unless you mean "aerie". I never saw "eery" until now.

VeryVerity

I like bewbs.
Registered
Reaction score
It's eerie.

This.

I would go with eerie.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Eerie's definitely more accepted, but I do like eery. I have a feeling it is Jack Vance's preferred spelling? Anyway, it's a slightly archaic spelling these days, which I think is why I like it - eery things are often a bit antique.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Webster's collegiate and Mirriam-Webster dictionaries show both spellings. Eerie is listed first, which used to mean the "preferred" spelling, but such is no longer true.

I would have bet that eery was a misspelling rather than an alternate, but there you go. I learn so much interesting stuff here.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
(Ah, yes, in the Lyonesse trilogy Vance teases us with the story of "the eery knight Sir Sacrontine who could not sleep of nights until he had killed a Christian.")