Twiddling my thumbs . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorin

Rollin' up my sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this. Feel free to smack me upside the head with a wet noodle if it isn't. So right now I'm in waiting limbo (I checked out the "no news is no news thread." That's me!) And my question is, what do you work on while you are waiting? I have another novel that I started (I've got about 9K words), but I put it aside to write the one that I'm now shopping around. The genres are worlds apart--finished one is a dark UF, unfinished is a sweet coming-of-age contemporary novel. Logically, I now should go back and finish my other novel, but the problem is that I'm *obsessed* with my UF characters. I have the second novel for that series plotted out (and no, I didn't mention in my query that it is part of a series!) Obviously, however, I don't want to start working on that one just yet. Instead, I decided to try to quell my obsession by working on a short story based on my characters, but this route has been slow going for some reason.

So, what do you do while you are waiting to hear back? Work on similar projects, or jump ship and work on something else?

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
I have only written two full manuscripts to date because I have what my friends refer to as "writer's ADD". I have a notebook with approximately 30 ideas I'd like to write in the future and have started probably around 10 of those. My lastest finished is also a series (I have a total of 8 books planned). I did mention series in my queries, even though it's a big no-no because my storyline simply doesn't work as a single title.

Now that I've been long winded... I'll answer the question lol. When I finish one, I pick a new idea, start profiling my characters and outlining it. This helps me put my other characters to sleep so to speak. I do a lot of character profiling though because one of my weak points is character development.

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to work on whatever I'm really inspired to do, figuring if I have that strong an urge, I should follow it while it lasts. Then if I get stuck, I can always move on to something that might be more marketable/practical/whatever.

I can see two ways of thinking with your situation.

1) The UF is getting interest from agents. You feel like you're on the right track, this is the area for you. So you want to have something similar or related in the works so that if you land that lovely 2-book deal, you're got a head start.

2) The UF takes forever to get interest, because UF is a hot area and therefore a crowded field. In that case, it might be good to be working on something completely different, so you aren't throwing away your hard work.

I also find that sometimes I need a break between long projects. There's that urge to dive right in, but you end up just doing more of the same instead of letting yourself explore new ideas. Give yourself permission to fiddle around with things for a little while. Then my experience has been that I'll suddenly know exactly what I want to work on next, and it takes over my life...

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It's a good question. Part of me says to outline a sequel to my current, finished project in case the best happens and a publisher says they love my book so much they want a trilogy. Then the part of me that lives on planet Earth says that writing a sequel to an unsold property is not the best use of my time, and I should get on with one of my other ideas.

Sorin

Rollin' up my sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'm in good company!

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your journeys/struggles. I think that I'm going to stick with my current obsession until it peters out because if I turn to working on my second novel without the fire in my belly for it, the results will be disastrous. I was surfing on Doutroupe and was surprised to find a lot of markets for short paranormal fiction. I think I'll feed that beast while I continue to query for the novel.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never wait. Writers do not wait, they write. Just pick the next story you want to write, and sit your butt down and write it. What's already written is out of your control. What is already submitted is out of your controil.

What remains to be written is full within your control, so write it.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
I agree that you need to want to write whatever you're currently working on, or it won't go well. I'm in a similar situation, and I've found a compromise by moving to related interests while I wait: I'm making a sculpture of a character in the book I'm shopping around. It's time-consuming and interesting.

And I've decided that if the book doesn't go anywhere by November, I'll throw myself into the other book for NaNoWriMo, since that's always helped my focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.