Old Guys Rule--But Can They Get An Agent?

Jed Power

Registered
Reaction score
What are the chances of an older writer getting an agent?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
the same as any one else- if you have a great book with great writing- who cares how old you are? besides, unless you annouce it, how's an agent going to know how old you are?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
They can even be a really big old guy...

and it's still a matter of skill. :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
In the same way that youth can be an asset if the writer is unusually young when they first publish, a writer whose first book comes out when they're of noteworthy age can help sell it to the public. (But the book still has to be great.)

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
Great thread. It's good to know that age doesn't matter.

But what about bald? Do bald guys ever get published? That's something that's been on my mind lately as I go into querying mode (for reasons I'd rather not disclose here).

Deleted member 42

As long as you are a legal adult, compos mentis, and able to sign a contract, age doesn't matter. Only the quality of the book matters.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread. It's good to know that age doesn't matter.

But what about bald? Do bald guys ever get published? That's something that's been on my mind lately as I go into querying mode (for reasons I'd rather not disclose here).

My agent is bald. I'm relatively certain this is fine for authors.

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
I wouldn't mention bald in your query. Not that there's anything wrong with being bald, but it has it's place. Tell 'em about your great book and they could not care less about your hair situation, or lack of. Good luck!!

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
Now that I think about it, didn't Arthur C. Clarke publish a few works after he was dead? If he can do that, I think you can get published while you still live and breathe. (Provided, as others have pointed out, your work is publishable.)

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
she was 80?

Grass is such a cool book. She wrote like someone in their prime.

A genre writer named Sherri S. Tepper didn't start publishing until after she retired in the early eighties, and has since written a lot of great books.

It's skill, not age.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Writers do not get agents. Good, publishable, marketable books get agents.

Pretty much. I've heard tales of a few agents who are only interested in young, good-looking writers who are highly marketable in their own right, but they are in a tiny minority.

Honestly - unless you're terminally ill and in danger of dying before the agent can even find you a book deal, you're good to go.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
My vague phrasing, sorry. I believe Tepper was probably in her mid to late fifties when she started publishing. I don't know if KING'S BLOOD FOUR was her first in the early 1980's, but it was the first of hers I'd read. It started an ambitious series with a lot of different characters, and some savagely wise observations about humanity. She hasn't backed off, either.

Age and experience can bring a depth to writing that late teen and early twenty-something writers might not have. ERAGON and TWILIGHT each succeeded for different reasons, not just the relative youth and inexperience of their writers. Age was a marketing factor, I believe. But Paolini had his parents backing his indy publishing run. They knew what they were doing. Meyers had the luck to hit the sexy-vampire field while YA readers were looking for something like Anne Rice and Charlaine Harris, but less threateningly explicit. She found a good agent who saw possibilities. To give Meyers credit, she had to learn how to write on the job, with her later novels -- something she still hasn't perfected.

Most agents aren't going to care about the age of the writer approaching them, just the quality of the writing. Age confers a responsibility, certainly. If you don't have dewy youth on your side, you'd better have a knockout story. A seventy-year-old would be expected to have something better than ERAGON or TWILIGHT.