Improving my grammar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyfan

Banned
Reaction score
Me personally, I feel that my grammar is excellent, and I know when something is grammaticality wrong when I see it.

I would like to be able to discuss the technicalities of grammar, though. There are so many things I don't fully understand: like filtering, comma splices, compound tenses, participle clauses, infinite and non-finite verbs, independent clauses, etc. etc. etc..

I mean, one has to study stuff like this to learn it all, right? You can't just "read" and "write" to learn these things, can you? Does a novelist who wants to make a living out of writing have to know all about the technicalities of grammar? Or is it just good enough to understand grammar by using it well and understanding it properly?

Are there any good grammar books out there that would teach me these things? Quite frankly, I feel rather stupid when people exploit all the grammar jargon and nomenclatures and when I don't understand them.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a lot out of "Understanding English Grammar." (The link goes to Amazon.) This is a textbook, so finding an outdated edition will save you a lot of money without cheating you in the quality department.

This book helps with both learning the parts of speech and diagramming sentences. If you're looking for something in depth but not overly confusing, this is probably a good pick. I kept my copy from 2009 and still go to it from time to time.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, that book is expensive. But, as someone once said in a thread I can't remember the name of, One of the best things you can invest in is your craft.

I'm a student and unemployed, so I have to rely on booksales at the local library (Can't beat $1 per non-fiction book). Might not be the most recent edition or funnest copy to read, but that's an option.

To answer "Does a novelist who wants to make a living out of writing have to know all about the technicalities of grammar? Or is it just good enough to understand grammar by using it well and understanding it properly?":

I'd compare it to having a samurai sword. You can cut up a watermelon just fine if you never get any instruction. But you'd be much more lethal if you actually knew how to use it.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you will be writing a sentence and not know what is grammatically correct. Something sounds wrong, and you don't know why. If you don't know what the technicalities are, you won't be able to figure it out. Of course, you could always rewrite the sentence, but that isn't going to keep you from worrying.

Incidentally, a lot of the punctuation questions people have arise because they don't know the technicalities and are trying to punctuate using the UH method — ie, if you would pause when speaking, put in a comma.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm away from home and can't check the edition, but I like The St. Martin's Handbook by Lunsford. Current edition = pricey, but older editions are correspondingly cheap and will serve you just fine.

It helps to know the terms of writing mechanics in order to teach someone in, for instance, a critique, or answering a question on this board. If you know a restrictive appositive from a gerund from a comma splice, you can teach it to somebody who's screwing up, and they can use the term to seek more information and examples online.

Maryn, who didn't learn a lot of the proper terms until late in the game

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd compare it to having a samurai sword. You can cut up a watermelon just fine if you never get any instruction. But you'd be much more lethal if you actually knew how to use it.

Excellent analogy.

Putting a comma where you'd pause during speech is only a ragged temporary bandage for whatever part you cut off mishandling your sword. It only works until it doesn't.

I learned passable grammar by reading and paying attention to how it was written long before going to college and grad school to learn more about it. I still need my old copy of Hodge's Harbrace Handbook right beside my computer.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The best grammar book I've found is whatever grammar book your local seventh grade school uses.

Too many grammar books are dense, complicated, and muddy the waters with incomprehensible layout and examples. A seventh grade grammar book contains all the grammar the average writer will ever need, and then some. It covers every area you mention, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.