PDA

View Full Version : All the places we like to read

Susan Littlefield
08-26-2011, 06:47 PM
In his book On Writing, Stephen King talks about the important of reading in order to write well, and how you can read just about anywhere and anytime. He gives a multitude of places you can read from the grocery line to bathroom.

I usually read in bed before sleep, on my lunch break, sitting on the sofa, or sometimes in the loo. If I remember to bring a book, I'll read while waiting for the doctor or dentist.

I've never read in a grocery line before or at the gym (I thought of this thread because a gym member had a Clive Cussler book with him while he was working out).

Where do you like to read?

seun
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
In the bath with a beer.

Kitty Pryde
08-26-2011, 07:10 PM
In bed, on the couch, on the bus, at the dinner table (I used to do it all the time as a kid, but as a grownup it's only allowed if my partner is watching boring sports on tv). And any time I have to wait around for more than two minutes.

And outside or in my tent when I go camping. My friend almost had a heart attack and died of horror when she found out that I cut my paperbacks in half to read when I go backpacking (so they aren't so heavy!). Once you tape them back together they're just as good...

JinxVelox
08-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh, I like to read just about anywhere. I keep books on my bedside table and in the bathroom. I make sure to drag one with me everywhere I go (as well as a notebook and pen, naturally). Out in nearby Mildenhall Forest is probably my favorite place to read - it's so peaceful. :)

Soccer Mom
08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I've probably read anywhere and everywhere. I have a kindle app on my phone so my book is always with me. Right now I'm reading every night at football practice. That's two hours of bonus reading time. If only it wasn't 106 degrees outside it would be bliss.

Bookewyrme
08-27-2011, 01:56 AM
I always feel a bit undressed if I leave the house without a book, even if I don't have time to read it while I'm out. So I have read while walking (carefully, and only on a non-busy sidewalk, I promise), the beach/poolside, waiting in any number of waiting rooms, the grocery-store line (though not often), the car (frequently!) or public transportation, waiting in lines, and always on any breaks from work I might have.

Gretad08
08-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Oxygen and light. The only requirements for a reading location. I have my Nook in my purse at all times. I read if I'm at the drive thru pharmacy, restaurant, or bank, taking a walk with my kids, at the park with my kids, in any type of line. I <3 books :)

scarletpeaches
08-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Everywhere. I carry a book absolutely everywhere. If not a paperback, then my ereader. Shop queues, on the bus, walking along the road. Hell, when I'm taking books back to the library I even take something with me there to keep me going.

The one place I don't read is in the bath. If I have a bath, I'm there to get clean, get out, get dry, get dressed. I don't want to drop a book in there and I'm certainly not chancing it with my ereader.

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2011, 03:09 AM
I read everywhere, too. And I enjoy reading in the bath, all covered in bubbles, with a brandy and a cigar.

I don't read in bed though. That's for sleeping.

Mr Flibble
08-27-2011, 03:17 AM
I used to often have three books on the go, one in the front room, one out the back (where I smoke- no smoking in the house with kiddies) and one in the bathroom. I don't get the time to read so much now, but I love to read in the bath.

In fact, that's one of my tests of a great book - If I don't notice the water has gone cold because I 'just have to read the next bit'. Or if my Old Man comes along and asks through the door, 'Have you drowned or something?'

I once was late to work because I was busy reading a book and missed my stop on the train :D But I don't commute now, so no train reading for me.

AlishaS
08-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Let's see... I take a book with on my step and read while I smoke. I read at the park when my little man is playing, I take my Kindle just about everywhere.
And yes, I've been known to read in the bath.

The only place I don't read... in the car. I find that both reading whilst driving is a bad distraction and reading whilst being a passanger just makes me car sick.

dreamcatcher
08-27-2011, 05:30 AM
I read when I travel to and from work on the train, which is a couple of hours per day, five days of the week. I was really apprehensive about commuting so far, but perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. I never find the time to read during the working week otherwise.

Susan Littlefield
08-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Wow! What great responses!

To those who enjoy reading in the bath- me too! I forgot about that. It's mostly during the winter when it's colder and I can lounge in hot water and bubbled.

The one place I don't read is in the bath. If I have a bath, I'm there to get clean, get out, get dry, get dressed.

Yep, the bath really is for getting clean, but reading in there is fun. I've not ever dropped a book in the bath in all the years I've been reading in the tub, but I also would not want to bring an e-reader in there.

I am trying to remember to take my book with me wherever I go. However, as another person here mentioned, I can't read while a passenger because it makes me nauseated. Ick!

I suspect taking an e-reader is easier than taking a book, and certainly much lighter.

Karen Junker
08-27-2011, 05:37 AM
I read at my computer -- mostly manuscripts by AWers. The fun part is I get to tell the writer what I think, in comments, as I read.

Susan Littlefield
08-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Karen,

I have downloaded the Kindle app for my computer, but I have not yet gotten used to reading from it. It came with four classics, which I just might try out. While I do read and write at a computer all day long for work, then do my writing and editing at night, I don't know if I could actually read from a Kindle (or Kindle app) for pleasure.

Maybe I will try soon. :D

Bookewyrme
08-27-2011, 06:36 AM
The only place I don't read... in the car. I find that both reading whilst driving is a bad distraction and reading whilst being a passanger just makes me car sick.

However, as another person here mentioned, I can't read while a passenger because it makes me nauseated. Ick!

I've always felt so sorry for people who get car-sick from reading while riding in a car (much like I do for people who are allergic to chocolate... :tongue). I mean, sure sometimes I want to watch the scenery, or talk to the other passengers/driver. But nothing beats reading for helping pass the time on a long car-trip. Of course, if you can't physically read a book, you can always listen to an audio-book, which can become a group-activity, so it's not all bad I guess. :)

Susan Littlefield
08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
But nothing beats reading for helping pass the time on a long car-trip. Of course, if you can't physically read a book, you can always listen to an audio-book, which can become a group-activity, so it's not all bad I guess. :)

I have never listened to an audio book before, but I might sometime just for the experience.

seun
08-27-2011, 02:49 PM
The one place I don't read is in the bath. If I have a bath, I'm there to get clean, get out, get dry, get dressed. I don't want to drop a book in there and I'm certainly not chancing it with my ereader.

No reading in the bath? Pfft. You haven't lived, woman.

jeffo20
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't read in the car just because I'm usually the one doing the driving, and I take showers, not baths, so that's right out.

Favorite places to read are my comfy chair (recliner, ftw!) and on the couch. I also read when I cook, standing in the kitchen.

JinxVelox
08-27-2011, 03:58 PM
It is honestly very refreshing to see so many people who read in the bathroom. My husband will come in to ask me what's taking so long, and then ask the inevitable, "Are you taking a crap?" question. Lovely, eh?

But then he will realize that I simply decided to stay and finish reading a chapter, and that nothing more nefarious than that is happening. Heh.

Kitty Pryde
08-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I've always felt so sorry for people who get car-sick from reading while riding in a car (much like I do for people who are allergic to chocolate... :tongue). I mean, sure sometimes I want to watch the scenery, or talk to the other passengers/driver. But nothing beats reading for helping pass the time on a long car-trip.

When I was little, my parents would take me on long, looooong, road trips all the time, and all I would do is read, to the sound of "And these are the [insert interesting natural feature]...Sarah? Sarah! Put the book down for two seconds and look out the window!"

Carrie in PA
08-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, another bathroom reader here. It's the only place I can get that much peace. My favorite place to read is sitting out in the back yard. The only downside is that I will be off in my own little world and the dog will suddenly drop a mud and slobber soaked toy right onto my kindle.

My son races go-kart, so I read for about 4 hours last night, only stopping to watch when he was out on the track.

Susan Littlefield
08-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Where I work, there is a "square" with several benches. Love to sit out the during lunch on the warmer days, but on cold days (late fall, winter, early spring) I sit in a stuffy conference room in the office and read. Suppose I could go somewhere outside of the office and read on the cold rainy days. Library is good too.

scarletpeaches
08-27-2011, 09:58 PM
I can't be the only one who wants to deep six people who interrupt with "What are you reading?" or "Is that a good book?" can I?

Xelebes
08-27-2011, 11:07 PM
On a moving vehicle. I can't seem to read anywhere else and I can't seem to do anything with concentration other than reading while on a moving vehicle.

Susan Littlefield
08-28-2011, 02:04 AM
I can't be the only one who wants to deep six people who interrupt with "What are you reading?" or "Is that a good book?" can I?

The first question is common among people who read. I don't mind being asked, nor do I mind asking the question to my reader friends.

However, I don't like it when someone asks if it's a good book, because "good" is open to interpretation. What is good to me may not be good to other people.

Susan Littlefield
08-28-2011, 02:07 AM
On a moving vehicle. I can't seem to read anywhere else and I can't seem to do anything with concentration other than reading while on a moving vehicle.

Xelebes,

Gulp....please tell me you don't read while on a moving vehicle. It would probably be okay if someone was driving slow, but going fast....well, the pages would not stay in one place and you might fall off. :roll::ROFL:

scarletpeaches
08-28-2011, 02:18 AM
The reason I don't like the "is it good," question is because I don't know unless you give me peace to finish it.

*grr*

Yeah, I'm angry when it comes to my reading time being disturbed. :D

Duncable
08-28-2011, 02:27 AM
My favorite places are the bathtub or a comfy couch on a rainy day.

I read pretty much everywhere if I think I'll have to wait for more than a few minutes, though. I read during my lunch break, too, but I found I have to go outside otherwise I get the inevitable:

"What are you reading?" or "Is that a good book?"

Grrr...

Susan Littlefield
08-28-2011, 04:38 AM
The reason I don't like the "is it good," question is because I don't know unless you give me peace to finish it.

*grr*

Yeah, I'm angry when it comes to my reading time being disturbed. :D

I can certainly understand being protective of your reading time.

Susan Littlefield
08-28-2011, 04:40 AM
My favorite places are the bathtub or a comfy couch on a rainy day.

I read pretty much everywhere if I think I'll have to wait for more than a few minutes, though. I read during my lunch break, too, but I found I have to go outside otherwise I get the inevitable:

Originally Posted by scarletpeaches http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6486573#post6486573)
"What are you reading?" or "Is that a good book?"

Grrr...

Actually, people generally leave me alone when I'm outside reading. However, since a few of us at work enjoy reading, we will have conversations about books we do like or don't like. But, someone has to be a reader for me to have a deep conversation about books with them.

scarletpeaches
08-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I was on the bus this morning and someone I knew got on, sat beside me and proceeded to ruin the journey by talking at me, even delaying getting off the bus so he could disembark at the same stop as me.

Here's a tip: if I'm reading? LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE.

Thank you and goodnight.

Duncable
08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Actually, people generally leave me alone when I'm outside reading. However, since a few of us at work enjoy reading, we will have conversations about books we do like or don't like. But, someone has to be a reader for me to have a deep conversation about books with them.

Unfortunately, I don't work with many readers. I did once, and some of the greatest conversations I've had were with those people. Some of the greatetst books I've ever read were recommended by them, too. I miss those guys!

I now work with people who talk about boys, and clothes, and makeup, and boys, and... I got a new job recently, so I'm crossing my fingers for like-minded people! :)

Susan Littlefield
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I was on the bus this morning and someone I knew got on, sat beside me and proceeded to ruin the journey by talking at me, even delaying getting off the bus so he could disembark at the same stop as me.

Thank you and goodnight.

I can see this. If I'm reading, I don't want someone to interrupt me by trying to start a conversation. But, if it's someone I know, I don't have any problem talking a few moments to say hi, and then say something like, "I've really got to get back to my book."

Susan Littlefield
08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately, I don't work with many readers. I did once, and some of the greatest conversations I've had were with those people. Some of the greatetst books I've ever read were recommended by them, too. I miss those guys!

I now work with people who talk about boys, and clothes, and makeup, and boys, and... I got a new job recently, so I'm crossing my fingers for like-minded people! :)

It is nice working with people who like to read. My beau loves to read as well, but we read different things (he's a lot of non-fiction, me fiction), so we have a lot to talk about.

scarletpeaches
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I can see this. If I'm reading, I don't want someone to interrupt me by trying to start a conversation. But, if it's someone I know, I don't have any problem talking a few moments to say hi, and then say something like, "I've really got to get back to my book."When I try this, I'm the rude one. Some bullshit belief about people taking precedence over books or something. Can you imagine?! :eek:

I think where I come from, people refuse to believe that you can prefer to read, than have a conversation with a real person. Reading isn't cool.

Me? I look at it as having a conversation with the author. They give me a story, they shut up, they leave me to it. Perfect! :)

Belle_91
08-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I know this is cliche, but on the beach. There is nothing better then feeling the warm sand on your feet, the breeze going through your hair, hearing the pounding of the ocean's surf, and being lost in a good book.

I also like reading in the bath, and just outside in general if it's a nice day.

scarletpeaches
08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Conclusion: if anyone sees me reading, just throw an Ishiguro novel at me, shout "James Purefoy!" and stay well back. :D

BenPanced
08-28-2011, 10:11 PM
When I try this, I'm the rude one. Some bullshit belief about people taking precedence over books or something. Can you imagine?! :eek:

I think where I come from, people refuse to believe that you can prefer to read, than have a conversation with a real person. Reading isn't cool.

Me? I look at it as having a conversation with the author. They give me a story, they shut up, they leave me to it. Perfect! :)

Which is why I picture you reading atop a pile of the bleached bones of your enemies.

scarletpeaches
08-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Which is why I picture you reading atop a pile of the bleached bones of your enemies.You've been peeking into my office again, haven't you?

I said office, not orifice.

BenPanced
08-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Why, no, I've never envisioned you as a soulless banshee.

bearilou
08-29-2011, 02:39 AM

No. No you're not.

I like to read right before bed. I also have the Kindle for the PC loaded on my desktop and all my laptops. I don't read in the bathroom because I'm never in there long enough or in a position to read.

If I'm not driving I'll read if I can get away with it but many times the driver decides then is the time to get chatty. And the moment I put the book away, they get quiet.

HarryHoskins
08-29-2011, 03:33 AM
I read alone. Usually in my living room where I can control anything that would break my concentration.

But, saying that, sometimes I do read for the kids in the local primary school - but that's erotica, so I'm not sure it counts as reading. :)

serabeara
08-29-2011, 03:49 AM
If I am in the middle of a good book I wont put it down for anything. I will read while I am cooking, read while I am eating, read while I picking up toys, loading the dishwasher, vacuuming. Then of course I've got the more regular reading spots, I love to read in bed, or lounging on the couch, or on my lunch break at work. I absolutely love reading in the tub, I'll stay in there till the water's cold.

Susan Littlefield
08-29-2011, 05:12 AM
I read alone. Usually in my living room where I can control anything that would break my concentration.

But, saying that, sometimes I do read for the kids in the local primary school - but that's erotica, so I'm not sure it counts as reading. :)

I'm sure I read that wrong. You read erotica to the kids at the local primary school?

Susan Littlefield
08-29-2011, 05:14 AM
If I am in the middle of a good book I wont put it down for anything. I will read while I am cooking, read while I am eating, read while I picking up toys, loading the dishwasher, vacuuming. Then of course I've got the more regular reading spots, I love to read in bed, or lounging on the couch, or on my lunch break at work. I absolutely love reading in the tub, I'll stay in there till the water's cold.

Those great books can have me reading anywhere as well.....the edge-of-my-seat-thrillers.

HarryHoskins
08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm sure I read that wrong. You read erotica to the kids at the local primary school?

Nope, you read it right - but you didn't laugh.

I'll get me coat. :)

TudorRose
08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Mainly commuting on the tube or lying in bed. My bath is too shallow. I always have chilly nipples and kneecaps :cry:

I also love to go for long walks with an audiobook, completely immersed in another world. Anyone who's walked around Hampstead Heath will know that it's not a particularly rugged or remote landscape, but it takes on a whole new eerie atmosphere if there are Muttations* or Unconsecrated* chasing the characters through the forest in your head...

*rep points for anyone who can name the references ;)

Susan Littlefield
08-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Nope, you read it right - but you didn't laugh.

I'll get me coat. :)

:roll::poke:

Susan Littlefield
08-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Mainly commuting on the tube or lying in bed. My bath is too shallow. I always have chilly nipples and kneecaps :cry:

I also love to go for long walks with an audiobook, completely immersed in another world. Anyone who's walked around Hampstead Heath will know that it's not a particularly rugged or remote landscape, but it takes on a whole new eerie atmosphere if there are Muttations* or Unconsecrated* chasing the characters through the forest in your head...

*rep points for anyone who can name the references ;)

Walking around listening to an audiobook is a great idea.

flarue
09-07-2011, 01:13 AM
I have to be comfortable, with little to no distractions, to really be able to absorb a book. A quiet place like a comfy couch or the bathroom works for me.

Susan Littlefield
09-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Flarue,

For fun, I have been keeping track of the man places I've been reading. The last several days, I have read in the loo, in bed numerous times, and outside on the park bench. Seems my favorite is under the covers. :)

The Kidd
09-07-2011, 07:29 AM
In the big red chair in my office, with the door closed and all the blinds up. At the Whistle Stop coffee shop. In bed. On the porch in the swing. In the break room at work. I have many favorite places.

Pauline Nolet
09-07-2011, 10:03 PM

I don't mind being interrupted if I'm reading for entertainment but do mind when I'm working. Then, instead of "what are you reading?" my BF would ask "Are you working?" <sigh>

Fortunately, I accidentally solved the problem when I started using my PDA for books I'm reading for work. Now he can just look to see which e-reader I'm using and know whether it's okay to interrupt.

I read pretty much anywhere...PDA for work, a non-backlit LCD for out and about where I might want to read in sunlight, and a backlit LCD for bedtime.

Chris P
09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I usually go out to eat by myself, so I read a lot there. I also like to read in the evenings before bed.

Crayonz
09-08-2011, 02:00 AM

Thank you and goodnight.

Amen. Even if I know and like you, bother me while I'm reading and (chances are) I won't like you for much longer. :/

My favorite, though, is when people do this: "Oh, you're reading that book? I love that book!" I don't care what you think of it. Shaddup and let me form my own opinion. xD We can talk once I've finished.

To stay on topic though, baths and bed are my favorite places. Sometimes on my porch while I keep my furry friends company.

Susan Littlefield
09-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Amen. Even if I know and like you, bother me while I'm reading and (chances are) I won't like you for much longer. :/

My favorite, though, is when people do this: "Oh, you're reading that book? I love that book!" I don't care what you think of it. Shaddup and let me form my own opinion. xD We can talk once I've finished.

To stay on topic though, baths and bed are my favorite places. Sometimes on my porch while I keep my furry friends company.

Today while on my lunch break in the Square, I was reading a book my Lillian Braun, one of the first by her, and some parts were sending me in giggling fits. A woman walked past, commented on my book, and said, "Boy, it always feels good to laugh."

Didn't bother me a bit. If someone makes a comment about liking a book I'm reading, that is fine by me too.

It's when people want to engage in entire conversations while I'm ready. That's when I politely go on reading.

Manuel Royal
09-08-2011, 05:59 AM
If I don't have anyone buggin' me, I can read about anywhere. When I was laid up for a week with an injured knee, I sat out by the apartment pool and read the Flashman novels.