• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

My personal remedy for writer's block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse2011

Registered
Reaction score
In the very rare instance I get writer's block, I have a simple yet effective remedy for it. It's called not writing at all.

I used to suffer writer's block on a regular basis. As an unwilling writer, writer's block is about as pleasurable as being mauled by a pack of rabid dogs.

But once I tested my remedy, writer's block was no longer an issue for me. the periods between when I write can vary from a few hours to a couple of months, but when I do write, it comes as though I'm on autopilot.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I think some part of us is choosing not to write when we're blocked, so rather than fighting that, letting it have its way for awhile may well give it the satisfaction it needs.

StephenD

"progress"
Registered
Reaction score
it's more than not writing- it's not writing and experiencing something, observing.

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
The problem is that 'a week off' becomes 'three months of zero progress' and you lose even more motivation. Time away from a project can help, but it can also hinder.

I agree completely. I took some time out, never finished one and there it still sits.

With the one that is about ready to roll, I forced myself to do some at times. Later I went back and improved on it. Getting something on paper is the way. You can't edit a blank page. You can edit a badly written page.

Power on through is my method. Even if its only 30 mins a day.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
The problem is that 'a week off' becomes 'three months of zero progress' and you lose even more motivation. Time away from a project can help, but it can also hinder.

I disagree. I took off for several years. Just lost the spark. But when I finally came back, I wrote a 195,000 word fantasy novel, an 80,000 word Urban fantasy, and several short stories.

No hindrance at all. In fact, I felt renewed and invigorated.

But everything always comes down to what works for you.

kguiver

I'm unique, just like everyone else
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.. tried this method last year and didn't end up writing till this year. Maybe this isn't the method for me..

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
It tends to work, especially if you use the time to experience life. Unfortunately, if you're a writer with a strict deadline for your next novel or screenplay, not writing might not be a viable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.