I just mailed work to a magazine for the first time!

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on this site for over two years. I've read and read and read and I finally got the cajones to mail something off. I sent three kiddie poems to a huge magazine, so I expect to get a rejection, but I don't care! I actually sent it. Even a rejection will make me feel like I did something.

It feels like buying a lottery ticket. Ya know when you're waiting for the drawing, you pretend you've won, and you think of how you'll change the world with all that money? While I'm waiting for a response I can pretend they'll publish it. If they do, I'll frame it and put it on my bookshelf. I'm just too excited over this. Clearly, it doesn't take much.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good for you and big congratulations. It takes a lot to submit and a lot to deal with a rejection - if you get one. You may; you may not. The important thing either way is to keep writing and keep subbing.

:snoopy:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first time is the scariest. We wish you luck, but even if luck does not find you, the next time will be a little easier. Guaranteed.

Maryn, proud of you

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

The first one's the scariest. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you realize that you aren't obsessively checking the mailbox/e-mail account even though you have a handful of submissions out. :)

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish this mag accepted e-mail submissions. They only take snail mail, and they ask for 6 months to respond, so the plan is to forget about it for awhile. Do you guys sub to multiple mags at the same time? Their guidelines didn't say anything about it, but I didn't think I should.

Chicago Expat

Distracted
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats.

And I love your post. I think embracing all that happy excitement and enthusiasm not only feels great, but it's also very important. Finishing a writing project and then sending it out is a big deal and you deserve all the giddiness you receive from it.

Cheers.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Good for you!

About multiple submissions, the etiquette is to inform the publisher/editor that you are doing so. Usually it's the last sentence: "This is a simultaneous submission."

You could do that going forward. Six months seems like a hella long time to wait to find out whether you can try somewhere else with it.

I hope you have another plan besides waiting -- namely, to keep writing and submitting other work?

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Fingers crossed for you.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, and Miss Plum...damn! I wish I would have put that in the last line of the cover letter. Oh well. Like you said, I'll keep writing and try to get some more things sent out.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my genres, the two big markets each take about six months to respond, although sometimes rejections come more quickly. The longer you don't hear, the more likely it is that more than one person is reading it. And they don't want simultaneous submissions.

But if they don't say either way, I think you could still sub this same work elsewhere, even without that sim-sub sentence in the cover letter. If this is clearly the very best market for it, of course, you'd want to wait until they accept or reject, but if a small number of magazines would be equally good, I think you could submit it to several.

And while you wait, you write the next one, of course.

Maryn, cheering you on

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif