Your Million Dollar Advance

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, you'll probably be getting an advance on your great novel soon. Probably, oh I dunno, a million dollars. $1,000,000. (Right?)

Just wondering what you're going to buy.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I might have to adjust my advance to $100,000. I couldn't figure out what to do with a million, it was just... beyond me. LOL. Uh, about that hundred grand, still thinking.

Gee, I hope I don't have to adjust it downward again to be able to comprehend it...

A WordBat, not a NumberBat

Huscurian

Impericrat since '99
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pay off all my debts, buy a Dodge Challenger SRT8, new wardrobe cause Papa needs a brand new bag, and definitely will find a way to build a nice business from the ground up to make profits.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably get really drunk then lose it all on the walk home.

Or maybe...

My dream house (about $400,000 to build, including land).
A nice car ($35,000 maybe?)
A driver because I can't drive. Or a wife who can drive and who also works from home (artistic) so that we can go shopping and stuff. So basically, a courtship and wedding ($60,000 - I do it in style ;))

How much is that? $495,000... Better up it to $500,000 because I like to spend.

And the other $500,000 would go towards living expenses, shopping, buying musical instruments, paying off student debts, taking more classes (hey, where else am I going to meet an artistic wife?) and generally having backup money for emergencies.

Yeah.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pay off house

Remodel house

Build moat around house

Buy car that doesn't smell like kid sweat

Stare at blinking cursor until I figure out how to write volume II

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get a lift and a couple of tucks for my 38 longs.

Can you believe that's all I need?

And then I'm there.

It would feel good to arrive.

I can say,

I have arrived!

Where's my check?

Will there be cake?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
A small house somewhere nice, some nice furniture to go in it, a sensible car, aaaaaaaaand... that's it. We'll live off the rest. :)

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
First, I'd pay off all my debts, especially my student loans (about $37,000) and be sure to set aside enough for the rest of the classes I want to take. (about $82,000 if I make it into the graduate school I want - ouch!)

I have no idea what the taxes would be on that kind of money, so I'll just say a quarter of it goes to Uncle Sam.

I'd blow though...let's say $150,000 traveling the world, and my parents want to go to France so maybe $30,000 there so they can go in style. And $15,000 to my brother who would love to go to Switzerland (and Monte Carlo, especially with that much cash)

Then I'd send $100,000 to my favorite charity, Women for Women International, and save the rest so I wouldn't have to worry so much anymore. Good Lord, that's a lot of money!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll live in hotels, tear out the walls. I'll have accountants pay for it all...

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Pay off all debts, sell this place, get the devil out of here with my kitties, and start anew.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Buy a house in the Bay Area -- best place ever! :Thumbs:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Pay off house, pay off credit cards, then enjoy the lifestyles of those who usually have million-dollar advances dropped in their laps:

Drug addiction followed by detox at the Betty Ford Clinic, then a week of crying on Oprah.

Tax evasion and embezzlement for which I will be exonerated thanks to generous contributions to the proper politicians' political campaigns followed by another week of crying on Oprah.

Weigh all the million-dollar advance offers resulting from saying "But I really believe I'm the one who can write a children's book with a message that kids need to hear."

Hire unscrupulous ghost writer who incorporates entire plagiarized chapters into "my" children's book, followed by a week of crying on Dr. Phil (variety, you know).

Oh, and buy that extremely rare mint-in-box first generation Corning Ware Blue Cornflower 3-quart covered casserole (with the white Pyroceram lid, not Pyrex).

Last edited:

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I would use my $1 million dollar advance and purchase 1 million puddin' cups...because I love me some puddin'

Seriously, I guess I'd pay off all of my debt, buy a new car and maybe a house. The rest would go into savings or a retirement fund (or I'd buy me some puddin' cups).

Reaction score
I don't have any debt to pay off.

I'd buy a place in Edinburgh. Something small, a two-bed flat. The rest I'd live off while I wrote my next book, taking occasional holidays around the world to visit friends.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make sure my parents are comfortable, then buy a new computer and I'd send half of what's left to MacAllister since it's obvious it was AW that made me the writer I am today.

*and I'll need some kind of facial cleanser to get this funny brown discoloration off my nose. :D

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'd put 50K into a "fun" account from which I would spend money on travel, clothes, etc. I haven't really got much debt so thats not a problem. I might pay off my second car...
Otherwise, I'd deposit the other 950K into savings (gold), keep my day job, and keep writing.