British Party?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I need a British or Canadian word for a party. Some kind of slang, preferably. My research only turned up "do" and it doesn't fit well in my sentence. Originally I was going with "shindig" but decided that might be too American. If it matters, it's a semi-formal party, black tie (not white), to honor some secret agents who saved the world. The one speaking is Canadian, but has lived in England for several years.

Here's the sentence. The bold word is the one I'm looking to replace.

"Besides, it's a party! Granted, these kinds of parties aren't always as fun as they ought to be. But it's an excuse to dress up, drink champagne, do some dancing."

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Bash? A bash is any kind of big party.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
A get together? That's common in England. :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Here is how a well educated Brit might say it, "Besides, it's a party! Granted, this sort of affair isn't always as fun as it ought to be. But it's an excuse to dress up, drink champagne, do some dancing."

For something fancy, British often use 'affair'. It's not a very Canadian expression but certainly all Canadians would be familiar with the word in that context.

Last edited:

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
For semi-formal, "party" would probably be fine.

Also maybe: "gathering".

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Shindig is fine, knees-up, soiree if you're being posh, Ceilidh in Scotland (expect lots of heart-straining traditional Scottish dancing).

-Derek

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was concerned with using "do" because it's plural, and "dos" looks like something computer-related instead of a party. :)

I like the suggestion of "an affair". I'll probably use that, thanks.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was concerned with using "do" because it's plural, and "dos" looks like something computer-related instead of a party. :)

I like the suggestion of "an affair". I'll probably use that, thanks.

Would just point out that 'an affair' is quite posh; in speech it might sound a little affected.

MisterFrancis

Registered
Reaction score
Affair works well in your sentence. But it only makes sense in the context of your sentence. I can't think of any other construction where affair would be used, though, so watch out if you want to transplant it to a different sentence.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Affair works well in your sentence. But it only makes sense in the context of your sentence. I can't think of any other construction where affair would be used, though, so watch out if you want to transplant it to a different sentence.
True. As someone else pointed out, it's kind of a posh word, so I'd only use it when describing a super-fancy party. Both of the parties in my novel are formal affairs, one is black-tie, the other is white-tie, so I think the word would work for either of them. But a regular shindig? Not so much. :)

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
I'd combine Drachen Jager's suggestion with Torgo's: "this sort of do". "Affair" is a bit too formal, but "sort" instead of "kind" is spot-on.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Like other posters have said, it depends how formal you want to be Do, thing, shindig, knees-up, piss-up, jolly, bash, work do, etc. Those are the ones that really spring to mind.
Those are so colorful! I love them. If my original "shindig" is British enough, then I think I'll change it back, since that's recognizable to American readers and it fits very well with the character's personality.

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
As well as formality, I'd consider what region your character grew up in / retains the speech patterns of / otherwise identifies with. A Londoner may look forward to a knees-up, a Mancunian not so much =)

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I'd call a party thrown in someone else's honour a "do".

The others are all perfectly good words for parties, but don't have the same implication. To me, a "do" would almost always be for something.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

Maybe:

"Besides, it's a party! Granted, this kind of do isn't always as fun as it ought to be. But it's an excuse to dress up, drink champagne, do some dancing."

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
As well as formality, I'd consider what region your character grew up in / retains the speech patterns of / otherwise identifies with. A Londoner may look forward to a knees-up, a Mancunian not so much =)
Ah, that makes sense. Well, the guy talking is from Canada of the 29th century, so there's no telling what kind of slang he'd be accustomed to, LOL!

"Besides, it's a party! Granted, this kind of do isn't always as fun as it ought to be. But it's an excuse to dress up, drink champagne, do some dancing."
That's a great fix, thank you. Would "do" work equally as well for a party held in honor of First Contact with aliens? Because the way it stands now, I use "shindig" for the first party (in honor of the agents who saved the world) and I use "do" for the second party (anniversary of First Contact). Does that sound like it works?

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought, but people tend to be less precise in their speech. I'd be tempted to put "...these kinds of things aren't always...", especially since you already named the 'thing' in the previous sentence.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go for piss up.

But only if there's wall to wall vomiting and broken furniture.
Sorry, not that kind of party! The Prime Minister is in attendance, along with alien ambassadors of all sorts. Although, I could see the male MC actually trying to "liven things up a bit" by bribing the orchestra to play something modern and teaching the aliens the Chicken Dance. LOL!

Hmm. Now I really wish I could change one of the party scenes to include that. . . . it would be perfect. :D