PDA

View Full Version : EARTHQUAKE!!!!!

Lavern08
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Just occurred in the metro Richmond, VA area...

my desk at work started vibrating and my co-workers ran out of the building!!! :flag:

DANG!!!!

cray
08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
curiously enough, my house just shook for about 2 seconds.

i'm in PA in the suburbs of phila.

i've never felt that before.

Bubastes
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
We felt tremors in the Detroit area.

amlptj
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
curiously enough, my house just shook for about 2 seconds.

i'm in PA in the suburbs of phila.

i've never felt that before.

I'm in the same area. It really freaked me out!

Lavern08
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
My insides are still wobbly.

I haz a shakey. http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/thumb_small/89933/89933,1179193401,1/stock-photo-surprised-little-girl-isolate-on-white-3300218.jpg

backslashbaby
08-23-2011, 10:19 PM
My butt was shaking for a long time through the floor, lol! I thought it couldn't be an earthquake, then my brother in DC texted 'I think there was just an earthquake.'

defyalllogic
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Felt it in Boston. I thought I was rocking myself like a crazy person. was very concerned for a moment...

MrWrite
08-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I thought it was just my imagination at first. it felt like I was being gently rocked on my sofa and the doors to the entertainment center were moving. Then someone on facebook who also lives in NY posted that we'd had an earthquake. It was the strangest feeling.

Alessandra Kelley
08-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Good grief, for real?! I thought it was a ref to a game 'cause it was in office Party and i didn't check out the thread 'til just now.

Yikes! Hope everybody's OK!

Three Fish
08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
On the 8th floor of a very tall building in Boston here... That was an odd feeling!

L.J.
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow. 5.9 in Virginia and a 5.3 in Colorado.

So if one shakes me up here in Georgia, do I run out of my house to the dirt road and wait for the trees in the planted pine forest to fall on me? :)

Lavern08
08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
No, Lightnin'

You should stop, drop and roll :tongue

rhymegirl
08-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm told people felt it here in RI, but I didn't feel a thing.

I guess I always feel a little shaky. :)

Lavern08
08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
* Cranks up the karaoke machine *

I feel the earth move under my feet...

amlptj
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
my grandmom in NJ thought some animal had got caught under her bed and freaked out, then found out it was the earthquake.

kayleamay
08-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Not one of you climbed under your desk? Your kindergarten teachers would be very disappointed.

backslashbaby
08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
We'll never be able to keep all those instructions straight! Already, during a bad tornado, folks around here were talking about waiting for the eye to come through :ROFL:

Tornadoes, hurricanes, now earthquakes, and a huge coyote ran around the neighborhood in broad daylight yesterday. Things is weird around here lately!

Maybe the coyote knew about the earthquake? I haven't a clue.

sheadakota
08-23-2011, 11:48 PM
I felt it in NE Pa. first thought it was my washing machine- that shakes the whole house- but my horses were freaking out man-

ChaosTitan
08-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and I felt it. It freaked me right out. Something actually fell off one of my bookshelves. I thought it was something wrong with my building, until I got an email from a friend in DC who asked if I'd felt it, too.

kayleamay
08-23-2011, 11:53 PM
That's why I like the PacNW. We occasionally have an earthquake but none of the scary weather stuff. Of course, we're going to fall into the ocean when the San Andreas fault finally gives, but that will effect the rest of you guys too because the ash plumes from the Ring of Fire eruptions will smother the planet.

There's always something to look forward to.

Alessandra Kelley
08-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh, coyotes we've got in Chicago (even if we couldn't feel the quake -- well, I couldn't anyway). A coyote got stuck under a taxi in front of the Art Institute, right on Michigan Avenue, a few years back. Another wandered into a convenience store in the Loop and took up a perch on the cooler. One lived for months in a park just north of Navy Pier, dodging the animal control people.

These were broad daylight incidents, too. Heaven knows what they get up to after dark.

tjwriter
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I felt some light vibrations in Indiana. Of course the New Madrid fault is going to get us all one day anyway.

MrWrite
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
This is part one of what's going to be an interesting week. After the earthquake, we have a possible hurricane or tropical storm riding up the eastern seaboard this weekend.

kayleamay
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
I felt some light vibrations in Indiana. Of course the New Madrid fault is going to get us all one day anyway.

*shares a doomsday handshake with tj*

backslashbaby
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Oh, coyotes we've got in Chicago (even if we couldn't feel the quake -- well, I couldn't anyway). A coyote got stuck under a taxi in front of the Art Institute, right on Michigan Avenue, a few years back. Another wandered into a convenience store in the Loop and took up a perch on the cooler. One lived for months in a park just north of Navy Pier, dodging the animal control people.

These were broad daylight incidents, too. Heaven knows what they get up to after dark.

Oh, good! I was getting a little skeered there, with huge coyotes frolicking in the daytime, earthquakes, and an incoming hurricane. We had a tornado last week, too, no kidding :D It didn't touch down, though :) I spent all evening in the cellar. Good times ;)

ChaosTitan
This is part one of what's going to be an interesting week. After the earthquake, we have a possible hurricane or tropical storm riding up the eastern seaboard this weekend.

Yeah. I'm scheduled to get that Sunday morning. :(

bettielee
We'll never be able to keep all those instructions straight! Already, during a bad tornado, folks around here were talking about waiting for the eye to come through :ROFL:

Tornadoes, hurricanes, now earthquakes, and a huge coyote ran around the neighborhood in broad daylight yesterday. Things is weird around here lately!

Maybe the coyote knew about the earthquake? I haven't a clue.

*shares a doomsday handshake with tj*

It's the endtimes. *gets in on the handshake*

Stlight
08-24-2011, 02:05 AM
I was told/read that if you get a lot of fliers for lost cats and dogs it's 'cause an earthquakes coming and they want to get out of the area.

Huscurian
08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
So that means the Earth cannot live any longer. She's getting old and she's about to pop a fissure, start croaking and dying. Gee, we need to give that old lady a break!

And yeah, didn't you guys learn about avoiding earthquakes? Either you crawl under your desk, stand in midst of the door beams, or find cover that will protect you from ceilings that might fall... Hmm, it's funny how Western Seaboard are used to earthquakes, roll their eyes, while the ones on the Eastern Seaboard are freaking out. :P

Yes, times are beginning to blossom and I believe this old lady we call Earth is going to die, resuscitation or not.

DiloKeith
08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
...And yeah, didn't you guys learn about avoiding earthquakes? Either you crawl under your desk, stand in midst of the door beams, or find cover that will protect you from ceilings that might fall...

People I know in the disaster business told me that leaving is sometimes preferable if you can do it without risk of things falling on you. Buildings on the east coast are not designed for earthquakes. A multi-level office building (as well as other structures) could be at risk for collapse.

Interesting map - click on the zoom out map on the right to see the areas affected. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/se/082311a/us/index.html

Lavern08
08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
4.0 after-shock shook my bed around 1:00 AM.

Woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep - DANG! :rant:

writerterri
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I remember my first quake. :tongue

Sorry, I'm from So Cal.

Jill Karg
08-25-2011, 09:57 PM

Should have called me...I was just getting back to sleep after a tornado warning and huge thunderstorm kept me up until after 2:00 am. We were only a mile out of the warning zone. The lightening, wild winds, and heavy rain was extreme. Almost dragged my 4 year old down in basement but husband cooler head prevailed last night. :flag:
I live in ohio. Tornados are common but usually March-June and occassionally in October. Oh and yes we felt tremors in ne ohio.

Alpha Echo
08-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Yeah. It didn't wake me up, but my husband said he woke up and heard something rattling on my nightstand. I couldn't believe we'd get an aftershock a couple days after the original!

Jill Karg
08-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah. It didn't wake me up, but my husband said he woke up and heard something rattling on my nightstand. I couldn't believe we'd get an aftershock a couple days after the original!

Aftershocks can happen days sometimes weeks after quake. And can be the same magnatude as the orginial quake. Japan has 3 maybe 4 quakes after the recent quake in march.

Vito
08-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I remember my first quake. :tongue

Sorry, I'm from So Cal.

Yeah, me too! :ROFL:

The first big one that I clearly remember was the 1971 San Fernando Valley quake, when I was in 3rd grade. Everyone in my house was asleep except me. I woke up, walked down the hallway and into the living room to turn on the TV...and all of a sudden it felt like someone pulled the carpet from beneath me, and a rolling sensation rocked the entire house. Pretty spooky!

MrWrite
08-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Boy, what a week! After experiencing my first ever earthquake, I get to experience my first ever hurricane!

backslashbaby
08-25-2011, 11:18 PM
That's crazy, isn't it? Looks like I'm not too far inland to possibly have a tornado-earthquake-hurricane kind of month! Never thought I'd say that.

MrWrite
08-25-2011, 11:18 PM
The unholy trinity!

tjwriter
08-25-2011, 11:24 PM
The world is ending. Gaaaaaa-aaaaah!!!

*Blind Panic!1!*

Lavern08
08-26-2011, 12:15 AM
* Stockpiles Grits and Bacon *

MrWrite
08-26-2011, 12:20 AM