Oh, deer/nature trail updates

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
A few months ago I had to stop taking the part of my walking trail that winds through a wooded area. Why? Because a doe with twin fawns took up residence there (!) and I didn't want to disturb them. I also didn't want Mama going into protect-mode and attacking me. I felt honored that they'd bed down so close to our house.

The little spotted babies were adorable. Since the doe was so familiar with us, she would take the fawns out into the fields in the front and side of the house to let them romp and play. I didn't manage to get any pictures of them because by the time I saw them and ran for the camera, they'd vanished into the woods. I did, however, get some beautiful shots of another doe grazing around in our yard, just feet from the back door! :)

Haven't seen the bobcat any more, but our rabbit population is waaaay down. I don't know if there's any connection there, but it's possible. I found a lovely Eastern box turtle recently and wish I had taken pictures of it. Gonna have to tie that camera to my arm, I guess. Our winter birds are slowly starting to arrive so I'm looking forward to feeding them on the front porch and in the back yard again.

Anybody else have any animal/nature stories to share? Dave's doing a great job with his pond thread. :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, sure hope you get to walk again on 'our' path, but that is such a sweet thing about the deer and how you feel about them. You are a wonderful writer and really bring the story to life! Maybe you can sell it to an anthology. :Hug2: The deers must be beautiful!

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thank you, Susie. :)

One of the larger does has been here for years. She's easy to identify; one of her ears is very ragged looking. Apparently she feels safe in our yard, though, because she visits regularly.

live4today

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Anne! I'm perfectly envious of your deer and fawns. Hopefully they all make it thru hunting season (at least, here in ND opening day for whitetail and mulies is almost a holiday, the last season for rifle hunting is this coming weekend). There are not many sensations like that of being so close to something so beautiful and wild.

Up here, the last of the geese are slowly heading south, their flocks not as large as they were a few weeks ago. This past weekend, when walking out in the pasture, a large jack rabbit, almost white for winter, leapt up not 3' from where I was walking and tore across the pasture.

Nature is wonderful, isn't it?

Denise

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi Denise!

I hope you saw my previous reply to you. It vanished in the move. :)

I do love 'our' deer and they seem to like us, too. A few weeks ago I got some great photos of a doe in the back yard, just a few feet from the steps! She was grazing around like she owned the place. lol

I've never seen a white jackrabbit. But we don't get much snow here in Alabama, so ours don't turn white--I'm guessing that's the reason for the white coat? And, yes, Nature is wonderful. I'm so grateful to be able to experience as much as I have. :)