College student writers unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a college student and attempting to write my first novel. First day of school is tomorrow, and I was wondering if they were any other college students here on the forums. Do you write during the semester? If so, how do you manage time to write while still having time for classes, homework, work, social life etc?

Good luck to anyone starting classes soon. :)

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. My classes start in about a month.
As much as I tried to avoid it, I ended up writing during the school year anyway. I managed my time by doing a lot of studying with friends while on campus, doing homework while on campus, reading between classes, and finishing up anything I didn't get done before getting down to the business of writing. Oh, and I have an infant to take care of during the day, so that takes up the time before and after class.
I end up writing/ story researching/ editing from midnight to 4 a.m.
Social life for me is texting and going out with friends twice a month.
I try to make use of every moment I can, so if I'm out with the baby, we interact with cashiers, people-watch to get inspiration, etc. When he's watching cartoons, I'll sit there with him and think about plot, revise things in my head, or go over the last lecture from school.
I have some kind of weird head thing where I constantly need to be thinking about something or I get mad for no reason....

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am starting the sixth semester in October and doing internship at the faculty. I simply cannot write during the semesters, I feel my energy is redirected to just the college.

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, JSDR! That must be difficult to write, go to school and take care of a baby.

I know what you mean maxmordon. I just finished my classes for today and I'm not sure how I'll find time to write, but I'm going to try!

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have some time between classes and so far my classes seem fairly easy to handle so I can write during the day. Right now I'm attempting to scrape together enough cash for all the damn over expensive textbooks I'll need before next week.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Darkshore, have you checked if the texts are available on Amazon or other book sites?

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah lol. The campus bookstore would have cost me upwards of 400 dollars. I still need two since they changed the editions (had two books used in two different courses) and those are looking to be around 100 each so not too bad, but still ridiculously overpriced.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a college student and attempting to write my first novel. First day of school is tomorrow, and I was wondering if they were any other college students here on the forums. Do you write during the semester? If so, how do you manage time to write while still having time for classes, homework, work, social life etc?

Good luck to anyone starting classes soon. :)

I'm studying at the moment, plus I also work full time during the day, and I have kids and a small farm to run. I still manage to get about 1000 words a day done in my tea breaks.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Right now I am meant to write ideas they asked me for my internship and... I am writing a damn WIP chapter! I cannot control myself.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
School started for me today. I find it very hard to creatively write when I'm studying. I tend to be too scholarly and formal and suddenly all my characters take on a philosophical tone.

It's dismal at best when I'm in study mode. However! There was one semester, the fall of 2009 when I participated in NaNoWrImO and finished the project in time for the deadline and did my homework, so it an be done.

Linds

Can't Touch This, Stop, Query Time!
Registered
Reaction score
I only ended up writing during the summers, but I'm looking to head back to grad school and I can only hope I can squeeze in time to write. I find, however, that after dealing with work for school my brain has none of it and only wants to read silly novels or watch tv.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I started on Monday and I always manage to make time to write. For me writing is actually a requirement as much as college is. If I'm looking to write for a living, I figure I need to start being professional about it now.

redsoxboy123

Training in a Taekwondo studio
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am on my 2nd year of college, but I'm trying to write my first novel in between classes and studying...I have a lot of classes.
But when I'm not in class, I have all my character and plot outlines and a short story I'm writing. After I'm finished with those, I have to continue working on my manuscript...so you see, I have a lot of work to do!

PS: Hello Shaldna

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Back to school for the first time in 10 years. This is the first week and so far I haven't had any time to write. It might change as the semester progresses and I get my bigger projects out of the way, but I don't know.

alegory

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to go into my second year and really hope I'll be able to get a good balance between writing and working. Last year, I did most of my writing in the early hours of the morning and not on a regular basis because I'm quite slow when it comes to writing essays and they tend to eat up my time like it's going out of fashion. This year, though, I'm hoping to be more organised and allocate myself some writing time each day and I'm also now writing with the hope of publishing rather than just for fun so I'm much more motivated and hopefully that'll encourage me to find the time.

oasis

Registered
Reaction score
I have some kind of weird head thing where I constantly need to be thinking about something or I get mad for no reason....

Exactly! I have the exact same thing!

Anyway, between my night-school and side projects, I write my novel with whatever time I have, and don't have a social life. I'm trying to go to the gym to remain healthy and whatever happens happens.

cheers

Last edited:

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I graduated with a bachelor's degree last may, and am starting classes next week to get my teaching license. This is on top of my full-time job. Sigh. Guess it's back to hand-writing scenes in the back of my notebook during class.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back at university this year (starting October).

It's going to be tough, but I'm still going to try to write, even if I have to remove other things. Like sleep, or TV, or food.

I have a full-time job as well, but I've been working hard these last few months to make myself redundant. I should be down to one day a week from next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.