Experts On British Navy Circa 1800s

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm doing research for a short story I've been inspired to write that would take place on a British naval vessel in 1800. As I'm not British, in the navy, nor born in1800... I'm about the least qualified person in existence to write this story. Doesn't change the fact I want to.

I have a few specific questions and I was wondering if we have any historians with great knowledge of British seamanship back in the day amongst us.

Thank you all.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
If...

you scroll down to the Genres section, click on Historical, then look for the fifth sticky at the top of the Historical board you will find Resources by Era.

In there, if you scroll through slowly - and yes it is a huge resource now - you will find a section on ships and the navy. There are urls for the navy museums where helpful experts will answer your polite questions, there are urls for enthusiasts' sites and there are books. It's a good source of information which should give you a clear picture.

Just get it right. For historical readers are notoriously picky and will give you hell if you don't know the ropes, the winds and the commands!

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. I'm amazed at the resource library there - hopefully I can get some answers at the British naval museum.