US military and that airline safety speech

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
in my WIP, my civilian MC's get transported by plane by a fictitious arm of the US military in a small aircraft during a peacetime situation. with of the two military piloting the craft, would the other do that airline safety speech? ("in the event of a crash", etc.) in this case, the aircraft flies over land, making death almost inevitable anyway.

Last edited:

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
No. Not unless they had a really sick sense of humor.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
"In case of crash landing, please place the emergency mask on like so." soldier demonstrates. "In order to protect our nation's secrets, in event of crash landings, our masks are equipped with secret killer gas X. Thank you for flying with Top Gun Air. Sorry you have to DIE."

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
clarifying a bit, this doesn't take place against a peacetime background. but do you know for sure that they wouldn't get that speech? (it suits my WIP better if you don't, by the way.)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
They wouldn't give the speech under any normal circumstances. The soldier being transported is expected to either know what to do or ask the right questions. Aside from which I doubt there are any soldiers who haven't had that speech on civilian air transport at least a few times between transport to boot camp and flights home for Christmas.

c.tyler

What was i saying? OH, yeah....
Registered
Reaction score
Everytime I've been in a military aircraft safety procedures were covered before entering the plane. However all those were for jumps not for transportation.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
They wouldn't give the speech under any normal circumstances. The soldier being transported is expected to either know what to do or ask the right questions.
in this instance the aircraft has civilians onboard.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
in this instance the aircraft has civilians onboard.
Unless it's a flight that's regularly used to haul civilians around, why would they bother having a special procedure?
The crew may not know or care who they're carrying, their job is to go from Point A to Point B.
Could be troops, could be civilians, could be a K-9 unit. Could be really delicate equipment that can't be risked in a cargo hold. I'll bet for aircrew the difference is that passengers may complain, but cargo doesn't.

Unless one of the crew does it as a joke, sort of a really exaggerated parody of a safely announcement? See Amyashley for inspiration.
'Cause, really, which one of two military pilots is going to volunteer to be 'the stewardess'?

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I really try not to make assumptions about aspects of life I know nothing about, like what goes on in the US military.

in reference to your post, yes, they know the identity of the people who they have gotten assigned to transport.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
The speech is required by FAA regulation on commercial flights that carry passengers. It is not required on military flights.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Back in the sixties and early seventies I had the chance to fly on exactly six military transport flights. (All Air Force) Some were on cargo transports like the c-130 Hercules or C-119 'flying boxcar' and some were on 'airline' style flights with regular cabins and seats. (Like a military Gulfstream)

In all cases - either the 'stew' or the 'cargo master' went over instructions in case of emergencies. Not a 'formalized' speech - but yes we were informed of what to do and how to handle inflight decompressions, fires and emergency exits.

I have not flown in military transport since then.

That was my experience. I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol - a civilian auxiliary of the Air Force.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day, I was in an aviation based National Guard unit, one of the "perks" was that we got to go up with the chopper pilots. It was a very long time ago, but since I worked up in the avionics department, I had access to a radio headset, and as I recall the pilots told me that if I happened to spot any aircraft that they didn't see, I should mention it. I don't remember if there was any other "briefing" - if there was, it was pretty informal.

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
Is your small aircraft a military transport or civilian vehicle? If it's the former, it's more likely to have parachutes, and one of your military personnel may have the authority or even duty to instruct the civilians on donning and deploying one. This, and also whether he has the time or inclination to do so, is up to you =)

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is your small aircraft a military transport or civilian vehicle? If it's the former, it's more likely to have parachutes, and one of your military personnel may have the authority or even duty to instruct the civilians on donning and deploying one. This, and also whether he has the time or inclination to do so, is up to you =)
the former. so I guess it would have the parachutes. short flight though, I estimate about an hour, all over land. (I have decided to use a fictional aircraft much like the Osprey, but at least half as small as the actual craft.)

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
yeah. al though I don't know if a scaled-down version of an Osprey could physically fly. (I know nothing whatsoever about aerodynamics, etc.)

Last edited:

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
It depends. If the person is flying Space A, possibly. If they are flying for a mission (i.e. being transported in conjunction with a TDY or for a deployment), no.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It depends. If the person is flying Space A, possibly.
could you explain what you mean by "Space A"? obviously short for Space Available, but you could explain?

(I thought "Space Available" would mean flying on a civilian flight, in which case they'd do the safety lecture as a matter of course, obviously.)
If they are flying for a mission (i.e. being transported in conjunction with a TDY or for a deployment), no.
well, in this instance I have civilians (see explanation below) getting transported by the military from Place A to Place B in order to get briefed and carry out an assignment.

by civilians, I mean my MC's, a superhero team. in this world, one superhero team has an affiliation with the US military, though my MC's don't.

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
yeah. al though I don't know if a scaled-down version of an Osprey could physically fly. (I know nothing whatsoever about aerodynamics, etc.)
Certainly; there's the XV-15, the V-22's predecessor, which is about two-thirds the size of the Osprey.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Space Available is just that, if there is space available on a flight, eligible personal can catch a ride. There is a priority list of who gets those spots.
Active duty with orders top the list, then active duty on leave, then retirees. Obviously any type of VIPs would likely be above active duty on leave.

I don't remember getting any kind of briefing when we flew space A. Though we were just on cargo planes, never the smaller passenger planes with seats like a commercial plane. That could make a difference.

After taking a C-17 to Germany, and spreading a blanket and pillows out on the floor for a nap, I never, ever, want to fly commercial again.

The C-130 crew let my two youngest come up front for take off, and the load master gallantly handed me an airsick bag when I started to turn that special shade of green. As big as those planes are, they rattle and shake quite a bit.

I remember seeing parachutes, but no one instructed anyone on their use.

Because the C-17 was carrying several families with small children (on their way to Ramstein to see injured active duty family members, as I recall), the pilot turned the heat on. Normally you would freeze your butt off.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
Precisely what Wicked said. :) My ex is an Aerial Porter, so he knows how the entire Space A system works (just flew in a KC-130 from here to the U.S. last week to go visit his family). I never flew Space A, so I'm not sure if they bother with a briefing. That's why I said "maybe". Perhaps they do on some flights, perhaps not on others.

My husband, who is Ammo, said that every time he's ever flown with the AF, they don't bother with any sort of safety briefing. However, he has always flown in conjunction with specific troop movement (going to or coming from a TDY/deployment).

Love the icon, Wicked - plenty of those gorgeous spiders in South Korea!

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Space Available is just that, if there is space available on a flight, eligible personal can catch a ride.
oh, I know. I thought that only applied to flights on commercial plane trips. not the situation in my WIP, though.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Certainly; there's the XV-15, the V-22's predecessor, which is about two-thirds the size of the Osprey.
thankee! I did research VTOL aircraft (in a very cursory way) and asked questions about it here on AW, but I didn't remember that one. again, thank you.

I think I had envisioned this aircraft as an imaginary one. (my WIP takes place in an alternative history. which it would have to do as it has superheroes active in the 20th century and early 21st.)