Rugby World Cup

Thesaintterrapin

Smoke me a Kipper!!!
Registered
Reaction score
With the Rugby world cup beginning next month, it would be interesting to hear the views of any Rugby fans on the site. Any predictions as to who's going to perform or even the eventual winners.

Thesaintterrapin

Smoke me a Kipper!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, a lot of pundits are saying Johnsons has no idea what his starting line up will be.
Although its evident the centre is wide open, for a year now he has been playing super Banahan in that role in an experimental basis.

Sort the centre out and they should regain that killer touch, which was so lacking in the last game against Wales.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Have faith, remember 2007, losing 38-0 to South Africa in the group match?

They spanked our butts! :D

As a Kiwi I am quietly confident...

Ah, now this was a topic for discussion last night in the (very rugby oriented pub I work in)

Playing the All Blacks is a nerve wracking experience. In tours and one offs they are frankly scary. But in tournaments they don't seem to live to the potential they should have. They get to the semis or quarters, but....

Although Martin Johnson has said the reason the English team were so motivated to win the semi (?) in 2003 was if they lost they'd have to play the All Blacks and you never do that willingly....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Having seen the last 4 performances of the Irish, they are going to get a total thumping.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Having seen the last 4 performances of the Irish, they are going to get a total thumping.

I don't know - I watched the match yesterday (while working, gods that has to be a good job, right? Didn't get to see much of the second half, but still)

I'm not entirely convinced we deserved to win. First ten minutes we were pretty good. The rest? ....not what you'd call a great performance by England. I don't think the score reflected how we played, you know? We made some pretty bad mistakes.

Tuilagi is a bloody handy player though.

Thesaintterrapin

Smoke me a Kipper!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Despite losing to Australia recently, New Zealand are goig to be a tough nut to crack on home soil.
I feel South Africa are the team to beat and must be favourites.

Against my better judgment i think the Scots are goig to have a good competition, and Ireland's bad form of late probably won't bare any resemblance.

England are unfathomable at the moment, since the end of the 6 nations they have played some awful stuff, with the centre still totally undecided, and with Moody still injured, who is fit to Captain, although Tindall came through quite well against Ireland.

Matt Stevens is a plus though

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well.... that was interesting!

I knew Argentina would be tough but flipping eck. Just a good job neither of the kickers could kick.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
New Zealand = flat track bullies. I see it all ending in a choke.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Gosh teh press are really helping, aren;t they?

Big front page splash of Mike Tindall with 'incriminating' photos! There is CCTV of him talking! With a woman! IN A BAR!!!! ZOMG SHE KISSED HIS BALD HEAD!!!

Then buried right at the bottom - Mike Tindall has known this woman since he was at uni. The CCTV video showing them, er, talking and mucking about, like you do with mates. I suppose 'Mike Tindall talks to old friend' doesn't make a good headline...

I loved one of the player's response to the 'Night out with dwarves debauchery' - we went to a bar that had a theme night. It's not like we took the dwarves in with us...

PS: gratz to Ireland!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The press are our secret weapon. Jonno's plan: the squad flies in as an utter shambles, spawn an undeserved victory against the Argies and go out on a memory-obliterating dwarf-speckled bender. Next morning, the Daily Fester publishes some grainy footage that for all the world looks like Phil Mitchell staring down Holly Valance's cleavage. The squad unites in their utter hatred of our tabloid scum and scrape grimly past multiple opponents en route to an unlikely final.

That's pretty much how we won Agincourt, as it happens.

Thesaintterrapin

Smoke me a Kipper!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok England fans, its Bum clench time.
After the stuttering victory over Argentina, nothing short of a bloody good convincing win will do over Georgia.
Flood in for Wilkinson, good move, should never have dropped him after the 6 nations.
Drop Ashton too, totally innefectual.

If we don't win convincingly, the Tindall, boozing, woman cuddling episode will blow up big time.

So alarm clocks set and come on England!!!

Well done to the Irish this afternoon, good win over the Aussies.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The press are our secret weapon. Jonno's plan: the squad flies in as an utter shambles, spawn an undeserved victory against the Argies and go out on a memory-obliterating dwarf-speckled bender. Next morning, the Daily Fester publishes some grainy footage that for all the world looks like Phil Mitchell staring down Holly Valance's cleavage. The squad unites in their utter hatred of our tabloid scum and scrape grimly past multiple opponents en route to an unlikely final.

That's pretty much how we won Agincourt, as it happens.

And how we won the World Cup against the Aussies.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The Irish did brilliantly. The pack were fantastic, all over the Aussies.

I was eating a crisp when Tommy Bowe ran down the wing. Really shouldn't scream with a mouthful of crisp...... came this close to choking.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I wasn't watching the Irish/Aussie game, although I was talking to my mother who was keeping me up to date...
But she didn't need to at the end. Outside my window it sounded like the whole city was cheering.

What's that saying? "I'm for New Zealand and anyone playing the Australians?" :D

(no offense intended!)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Tut!

And not one of you cheering the young Welsh team who were robbed twice by the referees, but have been playing brilliantly.

As for the final tomorrow. The French did not deserve to get through and they'll be into dirty tricks. My son's pals mutter darkly of instituting a special drugs test for the French and some way of stopping them deliberately maiming All Black players.

I wish I could believe it will be a good game but I know it will be a nasty foul and penalty type boring match.