Your last book order...

Feral_Sophisticate

Warming maid's buttocks since 1989.
Registered
Reaction score
Meadowvale, Ontario, Canada, Earth, The Sol System
Website
fetlife.com
My Chapters/Indigo order arrived on Thursday, and I wanted to share with the pervies. Why don't we use this forum to share some of our recent purchases (ideally, we'd share the list of books in any one given purchase, without censoring what we put on it, but if some choose to do so, then so be it)?

Here's mine (links are live):

The Bald-Headed Hermit & The Artichoke: An Erotic Thesaurus
Killing Johnny Fry: A Sexistential Novel
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Players Guide
Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew
1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism or Asperger's, Revised and Expanded (2nd Edition)

No e-lit this time, pervies... - though Killing Johnny Fry has some very steamy scenes in it - I'll probably be buying other books by Walter Mosley. His work is pretty damn good.

The Thesaurus? The cover alone made me:ROFL:

pandora

Watching the movie inside my head.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting! I love Walter Mosely myself, and have looked at the Erotic Thesaurus to add to my collection. Enjoy!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm away from home, but I scooped up a bunch of stuff at Border's going-out-of-business sale before we left. Alas, they carried no erotic fiction, and a glance at the sexuality section left me yawning.

Some of what I got were AW titles, not genres I ordinarily read but people I enjoy, so I have hope I'll enjoy their work, too. I got the complete Otherland series, a couple of Neal Stephenson titles (since I loved Cryptonomicon), a Harlan Coben, the complete DVD series Deadwood (which was still expensive even with the discount, so it's going to be somebody's Christmas present), and of course a bat puppet by Folkmanis.

I haven't bought new erotica in a while, so I'm eager to see titles others have bought, especially those which are not romance. Just not my thing, and no offense to those who write it. I'm not big on westerns, either.

Maryn, thinking this is a good thread

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
Paper Planes by M Jules Aedin, from LI, but I have a tone of books preordered or on my wish list. This is proving to be quite an expensive addiction. LOL

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I’m cutting and pasting from my receipts, so I’m missing some authors. With one exception, no romances here (I probably own fewer than half a dozen). These are from the last several purchases, probably back to July. In two cases, I bought something because of where I'm considering submitting a manuscript.

Bottoms Up: Spanking Good Stories Rachel Kramer Bussel

Best Sex Writing 2008, 2009 and 2010 (3 books) R.K.B
(essays/articles, not erotica)

Bent Objects: the Secret Life of Everyday Things
(and second copy as gift. This guy is amazing - I posted one pic in the Bordello, I think)

Blood and Silver: Erotic Stories
, by Pat Califia (a mistake because I have both books this "best of" collection is based on. It will be added to the gift pile)

Homosex: Sixty Years of Gay Erotica
Edited By Simon Sheppard (gift – I already have, and it’s one of the best collections ever)

Mammoth Book of New Gay Erotica
Ed. Lawrence Schimel (gift – I already have, and it’s a great collection.)

'...and Then I Became Gay': Young Men's Stories
(research, not fiction)

Bi Now, Gay Later, by Kim Dare. The only romance on my list, and I bought it to see how she handled the BDSM. I'd rather not say in public what I think of it.

Last edited:

Feral_Sophisticate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com
Interesting! I love Walter Mosely myself, and have looked at the Erotic Thesaurus to add to my collection. Enjoy!

So I finally finished "Killing Johnny Fry" on the weekend. It was the first book (in a very long time) that I've had a hard time putting down. I even short-slept one day before work because of this damn book... :tongue

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Walter Mosely's going to be getting more of my money, once I decide what to buy next. I won't spoil "Killing Johnny Fry", but it's well worth the buy. Completely blew my socks off. I'd explain further, but that would force a spoiler.

Paper Planes by M Jules Aedin, from LI, but I have a tone of books preordered or on my wish list. This is proving to be quite an expensive addiction. LOL

No kidding. My wish list on Chapters/Indigo is longer than I'd like. When I make my first million, I'll buy a house with a large (ish) den for use as a library. Then I'll buy the slew of books I want to get. :D

Bottoms Up: Spanking Good Stories Rachel Kramer Bussel

Best Sex Writing 2008, 2009 and 2010 (3 books) R.K.B
(essays/articles, not erotica)

Bi Now, Gay Later, by Kim Dare. The only romance on my list, and I bought it to see how she handled the BDSM. I'd rather not say in public what I think of it.

The first one is on my short-list of erotica that I'm planning on buying in the next little while. I love to administer a good spanking - so a book like that seems right down my alley. :evil

The 3 book series sounds interesting, and will bear further investigation on my part. As for Kim Dare's work... Well, I don't know their work at all, but it sounds like you didn't like it much.

I'm not one for erotic romance (or any other kind of romance) books, either. I don't mind characters falling in love, but every time I hear the words "romance novel", I throw up a bit in my mouth... Mainly because the prose just doesn't do it for me.

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought and read Hiding Hounds 1 &2, Midnight Matings 1-6, Demon Warriors 1, Brac Pack 18 & 19, and the series by Gabrielle Evans. I am working on Demon Warriors 2 "Avanti."

They are all M/M and shifter books or paranormal. I like the Hiding Hounds a lot since they have puppies as shifters so that is different and cute lol. I like the Midnight Mating just because of the dynamics being all over the spectrum of the shifter world.
The G. Evans series is okay. Except if she says moaned like a twenty dollar whore again. UGH.
Ok, well there you have it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I see film or video of real whores, it's so different than TV and movie whores. They're never even remotely attractive, with missing teeth and all the loveliest traits of meth users, and their clothes are not sexy but slut-who-shops-at-Goodwill.

My area hosted a serial killer who targeted whores, and while this was a while ago, ten bucks was mentioned. Ten. Adjust extremely generously for inflation, and you're still talking no more than twenty. They had booking photos of many of the victims, and my first thought was, Who'd want them, even for ten bucks?

Maryn, saddened

Feral_Sophisticate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com
When I see film or video of real whores, it's so different than TV and movie whores. They're never even remotely attractive, with missing teeth and all the loveliest traits of meth users, and their clothes are not sexy but slut-who-shops-at-Goodwill.

My area hosted a serial killer who targeted whores, and while this was a while ago, ten bucks was mentioned. Ten. Adjust extremely generously for inflation, and you're still talking no more than twenty. They had booking photos of many of the victims, and my first thought was, Who'd want them, even for ten bucks?

Wow. For a second there, I thought the "ten" you were referring to was how many teeth said whore had in her mouth...

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
$20 whores? They have those? Man... clearly, I've been shopping the wrong street corner... :ROFL:

Feral I am glad that I can make you laugh :D

What saddens me Maryn, is I KNOW how hard I work on my similes and trying not to be trite, yet this author is published with multiple books and series. I know I don't want to compromise my writing but at the same time, man, I want a nice pay check!

UGHHHHH, that was my $20's worth moan.

Bereheath

Banned
Reaction score
A bit here, a bit there, though in Europe
Hi,

The Wire in the Blood
by Val McDermid (loving it, not finished yet, but a hell of a book!)
The Charioteer by Mary Renault (reading it and very, very impressed so far)
Beyond the Softness of his Fur by TammyJo Eckart (loved the concept and the furry 'morph character, but disliked the female lead who is awfully stereotypal/PC in some ways, and alleged to be British but stroking me as a total fake in that respect. She reads like a Mary Sue with an agenda.)

Reaction score
Of Human Bondage, by W. Somerset Maugham.

Not erotica, but hey, there's 'bondage' in the title! :D

Boston Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! That's actually on my "wish list" at my online retailer... How does it read so far, Steve?

Like a lot of Vampire fic it trends more toward the historical than my personal tastes run—mostly I read and write contemporary—but it's not bad, not bad at all.

A while ago I got this, which I highly recommend: Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica.

Feral_Sophisticate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com
Like a lot of Vampire fic it trends more toward the historical than my personal tastes run—mostly I read and write contemporary—but it's not bad, not bad at all.

A while ago I got this, which I highly recommend: Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica.

Funny, that one is on my wish list too... I have two other anthologies of hers already, and they're not half bad. Some of the stories squick my girl, but she's not into some of the more extreme stuff at all (neither am I, but I'm willing to read anything, once).

Boston Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, that one is on my wish list too... I have two other anthologies of hers already, and they're not half bad. Some of the stories squick my girl, but she's not into some of the more extreme stuff at all (neither am I, but I'm willing to read anything, once).

I have several anthologies of hers. Quite good, generally. I've also submitted to her a time or two, but not made a sale (yet).

Feral_Sophisticate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I'm boring-- my last five books have been about Marketing and PR. Think I might need to take a break and read something for fun one of these days! :)

greeneyes

Registered
Reaction score
I download a bunch of free erotica from Amazon almost every day but the last I purchased was Cut & Run by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban which isn't exactly erotica but is very suspenseful and has some great love scenes.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
My last three print book orders - all gay (male) unless indicated. Only #5, 9, 10, 11 & 12 were in the last order. I made this list for a Thursday Thirteen post, so I already had it.

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Secret Tunnel[/FONT][FONT=&quot] by James Lear[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A Sticky End: a Mitch Mitchell Mystery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] by James Lear[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Second and third in the series that starts with The Back Passage[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (from a few orders back)

Erotica anthologies:
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. Hot Daddies: Gay Erotic Fiction[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Richard Labonté (Editor)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Best Gay Bondage Erotica[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Richard Labonté (Editor)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Friction 7: Best Gay Erotic Fiction - [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Jesse Grant (Editor)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The following three are the only books I've ever bought in both print and ebook form:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Fun with Dick and Shane - Memoirs of a Houseboy by Gillibran Brown[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]More Fun With Dick And Shane by Gillibran Brown [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Achilles and the Houseboy by Gillibran Brown[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gay fiction, not erotica[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. Dancer from the Dance[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] by Andrew [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Holleran[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. The Coming Storm[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Paul Russell[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. The Beautiful Room Is Empty[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] by E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dmund White[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. The Faber Book of Gay Short Fiction[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] - E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dmund White (Editor)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heterosexual (mostly) – autobiography, essay, and information:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. Pervert: Notes from the Sexual Underground, by Nancy Ava Miller [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ms. Miller started some of the first heterosexual/pansexual BDSM support groups in the USA. I'm in this book, but not by name.[/FONT]

Last edited: