A Big Howdy ---

Western Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Just signed up to this site and immediately jumped aboard the Western forum since that is the genre I'm currently engaged in, having published three "oaters" and working on Number 4. Been reading many of the comments posted here and this looks like a great place to make some like-minded friends and share some ideas. Westerns are an ebb and flow genre which every so often erupts back into popularity. To my way of thing, Westerns are the most satisfying to read, watch and write. A return to simpler times where readers and/or viewers can completely escape today's pressures and concerns. So I hope that Westerns can regain their popularity and that people can once again appreciate them with the same satisfaction they did in the prime days of Louis L'Amour, "Gunsmoke", "Bonanza", etc.

Kinda sad to think that the only major offering we fans have as of late is "Aliens & Cowboys". Actually not a bad Western flick . . . till the spaceships arrive. Call me a traditionalist - likewise with trying to visualize Arnold Schwarzenegger as a small-town Western lawman.

Look forward to hearing from y'all.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Western Writer. Glad to have you join us. Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the outfit! :hi:

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, western writer from a fellow newbie. As soon as you hit that 50 post mark, I'll be glad to take a look at some of your work. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. With this, I am foregoing my traditional "welcome" post in new members. I hate redundancy. Not to physically abuse an expired equine, but welcome! I'm always too wordy...

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Definitely a big welcome! We need all the western lovers we can add to the group.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Ahnie as a small-town Sheriff? Not likely. He's more the blacksmith type - though that wouldn't have been cool enough for his level of ego.

Hard as it is to accept by our modern standards, racism, while still not as prevalent in the West as in many other areas, was still around. I just can't decide whether a poorly-speaking Austrian with a Schwarzenegger build would be more popular than a well-known local black cowboy or an Indian.

My money'd be on the cowboy, but I could be wrong.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Arnold's new role is set in modern day New Mexico with him battling drug lords from across the border. Hardly qualifies as a "western" in my opinion. It might be more interesting if it was set in the old west, though.

Western Writer

Registered
Reaction score
A modern-day story makes much more sense for Arnold, though from stuff I've read the movie is being referred to as a Western.

In any event, my mind still boggles at the thought of Arnie playing a small town lawman. And I have to wonder if the screenwriter(s) will attempt to dream up another ingenious catchphrase for him to spout.