Hey from the Bay!

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm so happy I found this site! Now I've got to learn the ropes about forum posting. (I believe I'm the only technophobe living in Silicon Valley at this point, so this should be interesting.)
A bit about myself: my poetry has been published in college literary compilations, but I'm about to finish a major fantasy book. My poetry "mentor" at school dropped me after he found out I wanted to venture outside his genre. That was a major foundation-shaker. Also, my writing style isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea. I've grown to accept it; however, it's been difficult to find "beta readers" (aka friends that have enough spare time to actually sit down and read fiction) who can get past the first few chapters. Which brings me back to why I'm so happy I found this site!
Looking forward to being part of a writing community,
JSDR

Rachael7

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome JSDR! There are writers of all genres here, so it shouldn't be too hard to find others who share your passion :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, okay... I was never on a forum before March... so I know the 'confusing' part of it.

First welcome, welcome, again.

Second, if you want a Beta reader you need to get 50 posts on your post count to share anything on the 'Share Your Work' section or to ask for a Beta. People will be more likely to help and respond if you put in the work and post/help them/chat with them - first.

So, say hello to the other newbies, get into 'Share Your Work' and comment on people's posted story shorts and snips. And if all else fails, join the ongoing conversations and comment on whatever is said on thread(that's what I did cause I am yappy)...

The SciFi Cantina is where the Scfi Fantasy writers abound:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6459335&posted=1#post6459335

That might be a place to start chatting :D

Good luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes and pointers!
I've got an absurdly huge, crippling obstacle (chronic shyness) to overcome before venturing to ask for help - a feat I listed on a New Year's Resolution manifesto once.
I like the 50 post requirement for nubs. It's almost a promise saying "Come... we don't bite... unless you do first."

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My poetry "mentor" at school dropped me after he found out I wanted to venture outside his genre.

I hate teachers like that.

All writers should read and even write outside their genre. It helps them grow.

Glad you're here!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Welcome and feel free to post anywhere (except, as already mentioned, don't post your work until after 50 posts). Lots of people get a good start by greeting other newbies. There's plenty of support here.

Your poetry mentor sounds like a poor teacher, I'm afraid. The best teachers encourage their students to excel whatever their focus.

urbanmum

Village Vagabond
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
Although I've technically been around for a couple of years, it took me a while to feel more comfortable. I remember being so enamored with the wealth of information around this site that I'd get caught up reading thread after thread but never adding anything because I genuinely couldn't think of a single thing that hadn't already been said (and well said) so I often found myself on the fringes of conversations not wanting to crash the party. Eventually I learned to relax and browse and I realized that my opinions are welcome, most people here are amazingly welcoming, and that there are plenty of places to just jump in. I'm sure you'll find the same.

Welcome :cool:

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
Although I've technically been around for a couple of years, it took me a while to feel more comfortable. I remember being so enamored with the wealth of information around this site that I'd get caught up reading thread after thread but never adding anything because I genuinely couldn't think of a single thing that hadn't already been said (and well said) so I often found myself on the fringes of conversations not wanting to crash the party. Eventually I learned to relax and browse and I realized that my opinions are welcome, most people here are amazingly welcoming, and that there are plenty of places to just jump in. I'm sure you'll find the same.

Welcome :cool:

Thanks, urbanmum! I feel like you've described my usual mode of standing in the corner of the party, thinking of something clever to say, trying it out loud a few times to myself, then realizing that the conversation has moved on and I've missed my cue.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Nephthis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sugarbeats.net
Hello Bay Area buddy! That's horrible about your teacher/mentor, but I'm glad that you've been able to move past it. It's amazing what can fuel the literary fires, huh? The best of luck to you, and I'll see ya around!

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm intrigued about your writing style now... I have great perseverence and rarely give up on anything (I read all of The Tommyknockers by Stephen King, despite the fact that I hated it--kept hoping it would get better, then I was halfway through and felt it was a grudge match and I couldn't forfeit).