Just got a question

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm new to this here shindig. Wait, is it improper to use my western voice while writing this thread? Better holster that sidearm. I've never got to read too many westerns throughout my life, but I thoroughly enjoy when I make the time. Thankfully, my old man has been reading these for the majority of his life, so I find myself running into his computer room every two minutes asking him, "Does this make sense in a western?" Alas, he couldn't answer my last question, which inevitably led me here. So I ask you this: Is a flashback appropriate in the first page of a western short story. Is there a better way to tell backstory. You may be wondering why I'm even asking about this. When I write, I'm kind of a flashback nut. I have to control it because otherwise, my writing would look a little odd. Any thoughts you have on this or just writing westerns in general would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I was asking the old man about naming a saloon. He says you don't really need a catchy name, could just call it the saloon. Then he said, "Call it Dead Horse Holler" and I liked it. It was funny to me because that is the name of a former booming town near where I live. Could also say something about the whiskey they serve there. I don't know, so your thoughts are welcome here too.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Anything can work -- flashbacks too. I wouldn't have a problem reading it. I'd hope it told me something about the MC, or described a pivotal event that affects the MC. Don't worry about writing it, just do it -- you can always decide later whether it does something for the story or not.

The saloon name made me smile. Why not?

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are few absolute rights or wrongs.

That said, it might be better to at least introduce the character to give the reader a mental picture of who he (or she) is and give them a chance to feel like they might like spending some time with him before getting to the flashback. It doesn't have to be much. Louis L'Amour sometimes used flashbacks; at least I remember it in one of his short stories. Sometimes, rather than using a flashback, you can use straight time-line narrative, then make a jump in time in the next chapter.

Dead Horse Holler sounds like the name of a town or area to me. Maybe Dead Horse Saloon. But, yeah, just about any name will do. Real saloons back in the old back often didn't have catchy names. If you look at photographs of old western towns the sign over the saloon is often just SALOON in big letters. They might have had a name, but the word SALOON was the main thing.

By the way, a few miles west of where I live is a town named Bucksnort.

Last edited:

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Anything can work -- flashbacks too. I wouldn't have a problem reading it. I'd hope it told me something about the MC, or described a pivotal event that affects the MC. Don't worry about writing it, just do it -- you can always decide later whether it does something for the story or not.

The saloon name made me smile. Why not?

-Derek
The story begins with the MC returning home after being away for a while. I wrote that it was a bittersweet homecoming and I wanted to explain why he felt he had to leave in the first place.
BTW already wrote it and I like it for the most part still needs tweaking as with anything