• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

aargh. the invasion of talking heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of chapters ago my heroine was leaping out of cupboards and karate chopping the baddies. Now that she's holed up with my hero, and trying to decipher clues found in old letters, she seems to have lost her body entirely. They both have. And the scenery has faded to white. I have nothing but talking heads.

I've read elsewhere that I should avoid continuous action because after a while readers get tired but this "dial down the action" portion is nothing more than dialogue.

Advice please?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when they think they can't find the answer they're looking for, they hear a strange noise and assume they've been discovered. They prepare for battle. They might die!

It turns out to be someone or something that can help them decipher the clues.

Or. they fall in love and have sex. ;-) (just kidding)

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Well you can add things to their dialogue to bring the environment back to life if you feel like it's gone stale. Maybe they pace back and forth across the creaky wooden boards, pop open a bear from the fridge, etc.

Edit: Or the surprise attack/sex could work :p

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
There could be clowns under the floorboards, or drug dealers outside the window, or an argument happening upstairs. Maybe there's a moth banging into the lampshade, or a strange smell coming from the basement. Any kind of sensory information will help keep the scene alive.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of an interruption that will help or hinder. The introduction of the other senses, like a bad smell also gives me something to think about. But sex? It's a thriller. Have you ever read a decent sex scene in a thriller? Just doesn't work.

Bears could work. hmm..

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seemed to work in Eye of the Needle and The Fourth Protocol (with a little surprise at the end of the scene), but I really was just kidding.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clowns having sex with bears?

Now that would be a twist!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Clowns having sex with bears?

Now that would be a twist!

Hmm, might be a tricky sell. Don't a lot of pubs have a 'no bestiality' thing? Now, if it were a shapeshifting bear, you might get away with it. Unless it shapeshifts to a giraffe. Or, wait, wait! The clown shapeshifts into a mime!

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for internal monologue and uhh...

Wait, vampire bears? What about vampire clowns? Hmm...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zombie clowns!

"Just when you thought it was safe to go to the circus . . . "

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Wow....I really started something here with that typo haha.

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
Irony of reading this thread backwards: I never noticed you made a typo :O

Just curious where you read this, and what it actually said.

I'd second this.

Sounds like explosive action vs. action confusion.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Now that she's holed up with my hero, and trying to decipher clues found in old letters, she seems to have lost her body entirely.
How would Indiana Jones handle this kind of scene? With interesting visuals -- maybe B/W photos, or maps, or envelopes with faded address clues, to accompany the old letters? Framed pictures on the walls. A breath of cold air through an unseen slit in the wall that makes a candle flicker. Less talk, more visuals!

-Derek

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
A couple of chapters ago my heroine was leaping out of cupboards and karate chopping the baddies. Now that she's holed up with my hero, and trying to decipher clues found in old letters, she seems to have lost her body entirely. They both have. And the scenery has faded to white. I have nothing but talking heads.

I've read elsewhere that I should avoid continuous action because after a while readers get tired but this "dial down the action" portion is nothing more than dialogue.

Advice please?

You can get away with a pretty big percentage of the scene being dialog as long as they're talking about something interesting rather than covertly dumping a bunch of backstory or something on the reader.

But if your manuscript page (a chunk of about 250 words) is 100% dialog you're probably going a bit far. Try to bring that down to about 75% or so.

You have lots of choices about how to spice it up in just a few lines.

Add a line of description about the environment. (a chill seeped into the room as the sun vanished on the horizon)

Add a bit of description about the activity. (The letter was hand-written in a nearly illegible scrawl.)

Some commentary on the narrator's state. (Mary's worked a kink from her neck, stiff from hunching over examining documents for so long.)

Throw in a stock habit. (Bob checked his watch for the 30th time.)

Have the narrator comment internally on the conversation. (Bob seemed agitated. Was he telling everything he knew about these documents?)

Have the narrator think about how this conversation changes her understanding of past events. (So if Anne mailed this package on December 5, then she clearly did not die in a hiking accident on December 3.) Sometimes it's as simple as having a character think a piece of dialog rather than say it.

Mix it up, and choose elements that build suspence (given your genre) where you can.

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
I have this same problem and my current method is to have some additional conflict which means they have to solve the clues against the clock with bad guys shooting at them through the windows etc. It keeps things exciting at least!

Btw, bears are an awesome addition to any scene. It is my greatest writing regret that novel number 3 will never be published and the world will never get to appreciate its hoardes of man-eating half-clockwork bears. They were awesome.

urbanmum

Village Vagabond
Registered
Reaction score
My characters like to eat between action. Except Joe, he enjoys living his life as a stereotype, so it's all black coffee and whisky straight when he's around.

Status
Not open for further replies.