• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Sub Genre Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

adtabb

Quiet Normally, Loud when Provoked
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilbrownwrite.wordpress.com
Genre is complex. I have read several sites that over lap on their ideas of genre, yet some are very different.

The novel I am working on my husband calls an adventure novel for adults and young adults.

I can see that. Yet, adventure is rarely in a drop down menu for fiction when looking to submit. (One agent I am reviewing recently moved from query letters to submission box and does not include adventure as an option).

One website listed "thriller" as an alternative to adventure. Not sure about that.

The above mentioned agent represents an author who wrote a series with some similarities to my current novel. Of course, I refer to her said novel as a pre-history romance adventure.

Mine is post apocalyptic with no romance. It is a travel through, and connection with other groups of people.

So what to fill in the little boxes?

(If I fit in, I wouldn't be a writer).

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
One website listed "thriller" as an alternative to adventure. Not sure about that.

As a genre, 'thriller' is more of a technical designation which covers a lot of ground, but generally involves suspense and a 'will the hero survive?' question calculated to grip the reader until the grand climax.

It's like 'horror' writers, whose novels rarely involve real horror, just vampires or zombies doing their undead thing, sometimes in elegant and bloodless ways.

Without knowing more, I'd call your novel 'mainstream' or 'literary', which, besides being a refuge for academics writing incomprehensible prose, is a place for novels that don't fit easily into one of the standard genres.

Others may suggest pushing the YA angle, since that seems to be very in style these days.

Rachael7

Registered
Reaction score
Genres can be really tricky sometimes, especially if yours crosses many. It sounds like maybe you've written a science fiction or fantasy? At any rate, from what I've read (on Query Shark and the like) you only get to pick two descriptions. E.g. paranormal romance, epic fantasy. Wikipedia helped me categorize my genre, I would suggest really searching through the categories to try to pinpoint yours.

And I would also suggest picking either YA or Adult. It might appeal to both (hey, I love YA), but I think you need to pick one.

I hope this helps.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Here's the quick and dirty answer for bookstore shelving:

If there's no romance, it's not romance.

If it's for adults (with an adult protagonist) it's not YA

If it's for YA (with a YA protagonist) then it's not adult

If it has time travel it IS Science Fiction/Fantasy

With time travel, it's not a contemporary thriller (Michael Crichton notwithstanding)

It's either YA (which allows for SF/F) or it's SF/F that will appeal to YA. Depending on the age of your protagonist, you have your answer. :D Good luck!

adtabb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry to confuse, it's not time travel, though that occurs in another story. This one is a travel through the environment they know, and part of an an environment they don't know. Their mythology helps them make decisions. It is set about 200 years from now. Of course, the main characters are a coming of age teen and her Mom, both of whom are POV characters.

Why isn't there an adult adventure section?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Sorry to confuse, it's not time travel, though that occurs in another story. This one is a travel through the environment they know, and part of an an environment they don't know. Their mythology helps them make decisions. It is set about 200 years from now. Of course, the main characters are a coming of age teen and her Mom, both of whom are POV characters.

Why isn't there an adult adventure section?

This (the part I bolded) makes is SF (speculative fiction).

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Stories set in a postapocalyptic future generally qualify as science fiction, from what I've seen.

If the coming-of-age is an important part of the book, then it could be Young Adult. If the age of that main character isn't critical, then I'd say stick with "sci-fi adventure."

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
This (the part I bolded) makes is SF (speculative fiction).

This. Or SF (science fiction). Either way, that element moves it toward the SF/F shelves.

EXCEPT!

With a teen protagonist, it becomes a YA, which trumps the lesser classification. How? Well, let's go through that for a moment. Unless it's a large footprint store (square footage often dictates how many shelving classifications exist) there are the following bookstore sections, in fiction:

General Fiction, which is a dumping ground of novels that have contemporary, dramatic, crisis, suspense or humor elements, sorted alphabetically. You can find literally anything and everything in this section but there's no set group of elements in the plot that would make you automatically go to that shelf to find another like it---like a humorous mystery, or a warm romantic story.

Young Adult/Teen. This includes any books, of any genre, that are identified by the publisher as being FOR YA/teens.

Childrens. This includes picture books, early chapter books and middle grade (unless the book has become a major bestseller, like Harry Potter, and is now in general fiction)

Mystery. The mystery shelves include cozies, procedural, true crime and a lot of thrillers and suspense. Now, some thrillers (especially the bestsellers) will make it to the general fiction shelves, but not generally at first unless the publisher thinks it will have wider appeal than genre readers.

Romance. This includes ALL the subcategories of romance, including: romantic suspense, contemporary, erotica, paranormal, time travel, science fiction, urban fantasy, category, etc.

SF/F (Science Fiction/Fantasy). SF/F is another dumping ground that often includes speculative fiction, time travel, futuristic, sword-n-sorcery fantasy, urban fantasy (yeah, I know--I put that in romance too. It depends on both the publisher and store where they put those. I'm in both places in most stores), dark fantasy and some horror.

Horror. Fewer and fewer stores have an actual "horror" section. Often it's lumped in with the SF/F offerings because the lines have become so blurred. And sometimes what's spine classified as SF/F are shelved in horror because that's where that store's readers look. It's very subjective.

Literary/Classics. Literary fiction plus a lot of formerly genre books that have stood the test of time can be found here. For example, Isaac Asimov was a SF/F genre writer (among many other things.) But you can often find some of his classics in the literary section. Same with Margaret Mitchell (Gone with the Wind) which was general fiction at the time, etc. Another dumping ground.

Western. Again, a lot of stores on the east and western coasts don't even have a western section. They're lumped in with general fiction. But in the midwest and south, it's a very large section of the store with a lot of deceased writers (Kelton, Grey, etc.)

Now, certain classifications "trump" other classifications. Children's trumps pretty much anything else. Make the child the star, or include talking animals (notwithstanding "Animal Farm") and you'll probably find it in children's, regardless of the plot. You can have a thriller plotline or adventure, or SF/F or western and it's still Children's. Same with YA. It trumps the plot elements. SF/F often trumps lesser genres, unless it's romance, when the romance aspect trumps everything else.

When you mix genres, you start both the publisher and the bookstore asking, "Where are the MOST readers to be found for this book? Where's the big money?" Thrillers are big money. No question. But Thrillers often involve military, spies, chemical or death threats. "Adventure" isn't really in there without risk of total loss.

SF/F novels are big money because of the current paranormal craze. You can find Jim Butcher, Frank Herbert, Mercedes Lackey and Isaac Asimov here.

But in your case, you want to embrace calling your book YA because of the protagonist's age. This genre is the darling of the moment (which moment comes and goes over the years.) Publishers love a good YA and despite the market being glutted, the readers keep on buying. The classification doesn't preclude adults from buying the novels, and many adults do, in fact, haunt the bookstores for new YA and Middle Grade (in the children's section.)

You'll do well to call it YA until a publisher tells you different. That does happen. Our first paranormal romance was written as SF/F. The publisher thought otherwise. Same book. Different shelf. And the readers responded. We earned a Career Achievement Award from a major romance magazine for what we thought was SF/F.

We're having the same issue with our new series (the fourth cover is pictured below. We consider it adult urban fantasy and that's how it's selling in the U.S. But it turns out teens are loving the series and now international publishers are picking up the series for translation rights in their YA lines. :Shrug:So hey, what do we know? Any of us? :ROFL:

Does this help any? :)

Last edited:

adtabb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone.

These genres are tough. I was reading one story I thought was a decent example of adult adventure, and found it was classified a western. I wouldn't call it a western, nothing old west about it. Maybe the time period was right, yet the story was just an adventure.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Thanks everyone.

These genres are tough. I was reading one story I thought was a decent example of adult adventure, and found it was classified a western. I wouldn't call it a western, nothing old west about it. Maybe the time period was right, yet the story was just an adventure.

Adventure is something many books contain, but it's not a shelf in the bookstore. You need to focus less on whether a book contains adventure elements, and more on the elements the bookstores do use to classify books.

In your case, it's set in a post-apocalyptic future, which is the element the bookstores care about. Science fiction or post-apocalyptic are both fine as descriptions in queries. It'll be shelved in the science fiction and fantasy section (unless it's young adult). This would be true regardless of whether your book had adventure or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.