overdose of pills

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Calling all nurses and Doctors.

I have a teen gal in a WIP that wants to end it all. While she visits her grandma she finds a bottle of prescription Vicodin pills. My question is how many would it take for her to die from ingesting? Right now there are about 15 pills in bottle. How long after taking them do the paramedics have to save her life? I assume her stomach would be pumped.

I checked google and they say about a ton of side effects and mention that death from an overdose can happen but they do not go into the rest of it.

Thanks for the insight.

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
Valiium or another from the benzo family would do the trick. I've never heard of a fatal vicodin overdose. I'm sure it has happened, but not often. If Grandma had a stash of sleeping pills it would be more realistic, if that doesn't retract too much from the plot. 40 milligrams or four ten milligram tablets could be enough for the big sleep. Perhaps she could mistake Vallium for Vicodin. Take too many...

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's right.

I think you can take a whole bottle of valium without dying, even if you are not tolerant.

Death from a Benzo OD is pretty rare.

Are you thinking of Barbiturates? They can be deadly with really quite low doses, I believe.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
anything that surpresses respiration can kill you. The effects of any medication will vary widely depending on weight, and familiarity to the drug being used.

If you take Valium everyday then you would be very tolerant of it and it would take a lot to kill you- however if you never took any kind of resp. depressant before be it a benzo or narcotic or anything else , it will hit you hard. Again it depends on how the person reacts to the drug ingested. Some can take Benzos until the cows come home and never even yawn- others will take half the prescription does and sleep for 12 hours.

To answer the OP- If you teen is say 100 lbs or under then a entire bottle of vicodan would definitely get her some attention.

Last edited:

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I can't take vicodin at all because it makes me so sick. I either vomit it up within an hour (or so), or I pass out FOREVER! Then, when I wake up, I'm super sick. I definitely think if I took it, I could die from a handful of pills, but I'm no doctor, so I really don't know. And in case it matters, I weigh about 120. Lots of drugs hit me hard like this. Maybe I'm just abnormal.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Valiium or another from the benzo family would do the trick. I've never heard of a fatal vicodin overdose. I'm sure it has happened, but not often. If Grandma had a stash of sleeping pills it would be more realistic, if that doesn't retract too much from the plot. 40 milligrams or four ten milligram tablets could be enough for the big sleep. Perhaps she could mistake Vallium for Vicodin. Take too many...

Is it possible that you got benzodiazepins confused with barbiturates? In the 60'ies sleeping pills was a common way to commit suicide. Since then we've mostly switched from barbiturate to benzodiazepins, ie Valium, which is almost impossible to die from. But this death-by-sleeping-pill trope is hard to kill and I'm sure we'll hear about it in books and films for a long time still.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing a book for YA--please don't include the specific amount of a specific drug that's deadly. You don't want to give anyone instructions. Better yet, make up a drug name, then you don't want to worry. I'm quite serious about this. Adolescents are often drawn to books with characters who have similar problems. Anorexic girls get ideas on starving themselves from YA fiction. Same with self-injury and other mental illnesses prominent among teens.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the insight. I may have to rethink this. I didn't know that about the sleeping pills. (Makes note.....don't ever used that trick.)

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Calling all nurses and Doctors.

I have a teen gal in a WIP that wants to end it all. While she visits her grandma she finds a bottle of prescription Vicodin pills. My question is how many would it take for her to die from ingesting? Right now there are about 15 pills in bottle. e insight.

180mg of hydrocodone is usually a fatal dose, depending on your tolerance.

The thing that will really screw you over is the acetomenophin in the Vicodin. If you take more than 4g of that, it's ridiculously hard on your liver and you risk liver failure.

You also tend to throw up and lose some of the opiates.

So if she takes all 15 of the pills (assuming the usual 15mg opiate dose/pill) she's going to be in overdose territory and sick as a dog.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Death seeks us all.

Wait they wanted a way to evade it?

Drugs seek us all.

No that's not it

Oh, you're talking about the liver metabolism and how the relative doses affect others by age?

(hint: old people are closer to death so most of the, "blah bbla,"n stuff doesn't work