Things You Hate About August...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, ok, I know I'm late with this, but I was kinda caught up with Mr. Hunny's birthday, and I forgot about it.
icon11.gif

(I got him a Kindle and he absolutely lurves it.)

I hate the awful, awful humidity and the brown, crunchy grass that's what's left of our so-called lawn. :flag:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christmas decor is being placed on the shelves in a couple of my favorite stores.

I am soooooo not kidding. :flag:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Beginning the second week of August to the second week of September there are no less than six birthdays in my family... so it's not exactly this month I hate, as much as it is swearing to be abstinent throughout December... ;)

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
The only problem I have with August is the monsoons in Arizona are almost over. However, in this particular August I have a real gripe 'cause the politicians have come out from under their rocks and we have to listen to their childish bantering for another year.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
This year, as last year, I am indignant about the lack of proper summer weather. It was only hot for a few days! Where's the swimming weather, I ask you? Mutter grumble mutter. Not ready for fall.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!

Maybe if you invite all of AW to an all-night party, turning 30 won't seem so bad.

Can your house accommodate 30,000 people? (Or however many members we have here...)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Happy Birthday!
Thanks - not until the 27th though..

Maybe if you invite all of AW to an all-night party, turning 30 won't seem so bad.

Can your house accommodate 30,000 people? (Or however many members we have here...)
I live in a one bed flat. Perhaps I'll have to choose my favourite 10,000 AWers....

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I hate that school starts Monday. :( I'm not ready!

Christmas decor is being placed on the shelves in a couple of my favorite stores.

I am soooooo not kidding. :flag:

Our Michael's started in July. No joke. It wasn't even one of those self-conscious "Christmas in July!" things. Just... Christmas, early. :Wha:

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
I have learned that yellowjackets are cranky at the end of summer because they are dying off in an unpleasant fashion -- they lose the enzymes that let them digest food. So no matter how much they eat, they still starve to death. Sucks for them.

Someday I will work this idea into a disturbing fantasy story. In the meantime, I recommend the best weapon against the frenzied yellowjacket: a Tupperware lid. It's light enough to swat one out of the air with, and sturdy enough to actually stun them. *thumbs up*

dazzlejazz

Registered
Reaction score
Last month of winter - yippeeee!!!
(In my part of the world anyway)
Bring on the sun.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's hot. It's really, really hot. It's hotter than fire and hell and lava. Hottah than a mutha fucka.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The students / pupils here. Droves of them: gossips, rude, and intolerable. (No, I don't like the secondary school pupils here; their over-arching attitude is, "I'm entitled; so gimme!".)

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of those months that you are not supposed to eat raw oysters. Maybe time to take a vaction way south of the equator, but that sure raises the ante for a plate of them.

urbanmum

Village Vagabond
Registered
Reaction score
I have learned that yellowjackets are cranky at the end of summer because they are dying off in an unpleasant fashion -- they lose the enzymes that let them digest food. So no matter how much they eat, they still starve to death. Sucks for them.

Someday I will work this idea into a disturbing fantasy story. In the meantime, I recommend the best weapon against the frenzied yellowjacket: a Tupperware lid. It's light enough to swat one out of the air with, and sturdy enough to actually stun them. *thumbs up*

I might use my flip flop or my electric racket, but usually I just run like hell. They're just too damn fast and too damn many.

I've read they come out in swarms now because the Queen is dead/dying and no longer having babies which means their work collecting protein rich food is done. Now they're able to go on a free for all for the sweets for themselves.

Either way, I look forward to that first frost :evil