HC Steals a Book Cover... And has been Resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
This below link was posted on the Authors blog today, saying the matter has been resloved.
http://www.lkrigel.com/2011/08/alex-flinn-has-class/

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.lkrigel.com/2011/08/should-i-be-upset/

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure this is just plain wrong. A selfpublished book cover was so good that Harper Collins decided to copy it.

Now, I'm sure like Titles and what not, you maybe can't copyright a cover (or can you?) but really, HC and all there money and staff and cover artist's couldn't come up with their own original idea?

Okay, and steal might be a little bit too strong a word (according to the great and powerful Mac) it's really just copying... but still.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was prepared to say a bunch of things, but then I looked at the images. Um...pretty darn close. And I must say that she has some gorgeous self-pub covers.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
In the comments it says HC approached the artist and tried to buy the original art. When the artist refused, the second cover... appeared.

Seems like a cut-and-dry case of theft, although I'm not sure what legally can be done about it (in terms of sueing HC etc). Don't know enough about law to comment.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Wowly shit! That's JUST WRONG!

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
In the comments, the author says:

"This is terrible. I just heard from Nathalia. Not only did she NOT sell them the art, but they approached her and tried to buy it, and she refused!"

That's scummy. We can't buy it, so we'll copy it!

ETA: wow I'm slow. It's been mentioned already.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, to add, the artist of the cover does have a blog post on her blog (will find the link) that confirms as much, she said no (stating the artwork was already sold for another BOOK COVER), so they stole the idea. IMO the original is way, way better than what HC did... but that's not really the point.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Naw. Sorry guys, I know this isn't going to be popular but HC didn't steal anything. They liked the concept and the art, contacted the artist who said no, so they commissioned a different artist to interpret the concept. She's got no case. You can't copyright an idea -- it's a classic set of visual motifs, it's VERY clearly a different artist and a different painting picture.

She doesn't have to like it, but it's not theft.

The laws determining what's plagiarism or theft in visual arts or in the garment industry are a fair bit different than those around written work, too. For example, you can take an off-the-shelf jacket, take it apart, redesign the pattern, and as long as you change 10% of the pattern elements it's perfectly legal to make your own knock-off products.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Email the hell out of Harper Collins. If I'd known about this last month, I could have asked Jennifer Brehl about it at the Discworld convention. Makes me not want to sell anything to HC. The rot starts with Murdoch and percolates downward!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Naw. Sorry guys, I know this isn't going to be popular. She's got no case. You can't copyright an idea -- it's a classic set of visual motifs, it's VERY clearly a different artist and a different painting.

She doesn't have to like it, but it's not theft.

The laws determining what's plagiarism or theft in visual arts or in the garment industry are a fair bit different than those around written work, too. For example, you can take an off-the-shelf jacket, take it apart, redesign the pattern, and as long as you change 10% of the pattern elements it's perfectly legal to make your own knock-off products.

Yeah. It sucks huge. But scums are allowed to be scums sometimes. I mean, come on...it's a classic motif, sure...but find more than 2 that are 'like' those covers. The google you pointed to show nothing like them. This isn't really a case of a classic motif. It's more a case of legal theft. She has no case. But the second artist has no moral fibre. That's worse than not having a case. LEGAL THEFT.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There will be no case. It isn't theft. I do hope it's great pub for the author and the artist. That will be their "win."

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yeah. It sucks huge. But scums are allowed to be scums sometimes. I mean, come on...it's a classic motif, sure...but find more than 2 that are 'like' those covers. The google you pointed to show nothing like them. This isn't really a case of a classic motif. It's more a case of legal theft. She has no case. But the second artist has no moral fibre. That's worse than not having a case. LEGAL THEFT.

Well, how about these http://vi.sualize.us/view/8106e64c8eea51f739168bbb4c6dd0c3/ images, then? Or there's these, too.

Woman. Black dress. House (or ruins) on the hill. Black birds.
This stuff goes wayyy back.

I'm not saying it's pleasant or pure -- and yup, it's a little obvious -- but there's nothing inherently dishonest or morally sleazy about a commercial artist doing the job s/he's been commissioned to do. And it's often how covers are done.

Did you look at the video Medievalist linked to? There are a ton of covers there, even more closely copied. But covers are to convey information to the reader - "See this cover that looks just like the cover for Kushiel's Dart? If you liked that, this book is like that book!"

Last edited:

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Well put MacAllister. I was a bit pissed off for the artist, but now it seems like it's just the law of the land when it comes to cover art. Still seems douchey though.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really expect that there'd be any legal basis for prosecution. But what's telling is that HC first approached the artist and tried to buy the cover. When she wouldn't sell it, they basically just said "Okay, fine, we'll just blatantly rip off your idea!" ...which is what they then did.

I'm sure there's no legal leg to stand on here, but it's still a crummy thing to do, and it's obvious they stole the idea from here because they tried to buy the idea first. When they couldn't get it directly by paying for it, the got it indirectly by stealing it.

Deleted member 42

The entire point of commercial covers is to make it easy, from several feet away, to identify the basic motifs and the genre of the book.

That's the whole point; they need to be predictable, they need to use a series of recognized visual motifs, better known to artists as iconography.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm not trying to belabor the point -- but it's pretty harsh to start throwing words like "rip-off" or "steal" or "scum" when it's just kinda how the industry works. Harper Collins should actually get some credit for contacting the original artist, instead of going straight to one of their people first, without even bothering.
banks.jpg

carey.jpg

case_cast.jpg

mead.jpg

wilkes.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan David Jahn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ryandavidjahn.com
1841137189.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Shawn.png

Rules+of+Civility.jpg

fitzgats.jpg

love-without-stories-jerry-stahl-paperback-cover-art.jpg

0802133487.jpg

Sometimes an image is re-licensed, sometimes it's imitated, but this kind of thing is done all the time. Which is to say, whatever you think of the practice, Harper Collins isn't uniquely scummy among publishers.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm not trying to belabor the point -- but it's pretty harsh to start throwing words like "rip-off" or "steal" or "scum" when it's just kinda how the industry works.
I don't think those words are too strong at all. This is not using iconography. It's taking an artist's specific image, deliberately copying it in terms of images, composition, even the almost exact same bird, and altering it just enough to (presumably) avoid a lawsuit.

They tried to buy the art, were rebuffed, and designed an almost identical cover. it's a rip-off, pure and simple.

I don't know the laws concerning visual art, but I do know how hard it is for a musician to successfully sue when somebody steals their melody and riffs, changes a few notes, and claims it's a different song. It's also a rip-off.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Granted, this has been going on for at least 30 years (Dragon and Rocket Ship, anyone?)

But many of the new urban fantasy and paranormal romance covers are so alike they actually repel me. I know I've passed up great reads, but when I browse bookstore shelves I catch myself thinking: 'Half-naked dude with tattoos, front view, seen from the chin-down. Camisole-wearing chick with tattoos, back view, seen from the chin-down. Angel of either gender. Bonus points if seen from chin-down, double bonus if there are also tattoos. Were-whatever of either gender, with no apparent shaving issues. Oh, look, an artifact or weapon that may or may not have anything to do with the plot. Gee, if all the covers are this similar, maybe the stories are too.'

I actually miss those horrible garish old Darrel K. Sweet covers from the 80's, because they made a vague attempt to illustrate something from the book, even if it was six degrees different and followed an art director's summary. I miss covers that showed views of sweeping sf&f landscapes, a la Mike Whelan. I even miss the bizarre abstracted covers of the old Ace books from the Sixties.

I have nightmares about my mms getting a standard modern UF genre cover, but I made sure it can't happen. It's epic fantasy, so they'll have to slap a dragon on it. And my protagonist has fur, so there's no place for tattoos.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
The book covers are similar because the elements used in the art are widely used. I think the cover art that Mac and Ryan provided (posts 18 & 19) show how cover art is duplicated every all the time. Even in shopping for books, I have seen similar book coves.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the publisher approached the artist then I would say this cover is similar because it is an imitation, not by coincidence. That doesn't make it illegal. But I reserve the right to consider it rather tawdry conduct.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any theft at all, nor anything scummy at all. There is no lifting of anything here.

That being said, I don't buy Harper Collins books until the company changes ownership.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, so I must admit, I never really looked hard enough at bookcovers, and yes now with the visuals provided it's obvious this is something that happens all too often and as mentioned not really anything illegal and what not.
But I kind of agree with Veinglory, it's a crappy thing to do, and as an Author I'd really be dissapointed and upset if A. My book cover was used for another book (like the one in the OP that are so, so similar) and B. I'd never want to have a book cover that similar to anyone elses.

Status
Not open for further replies.