William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44176345/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/#.TkwRTV3F98E

NEW YORK — KingsIsle, the U.S. maker of the popular online game "Wizard 101," is coming to China through a partnership with TaoMee Holdings, a publicly traded Chinese company that runs websites for children.

Wizard 101, which lets players team in a Harry Potter-type world, had 20 million registered users last month in the United States, the company said. The game is free to download but the the Texas-based KingsIsle, relies on selling virtual items in the game and a $10 monthly subscription fee to make money.

KingsIsle, which is privately held, is the latest U.S. video game company to enter China. Last month, social games maker Zynga said it was launching its first title in mainland China in a tie-up with Tencent Holdings.

Competition in China has become fierce, with rivals such as Tencent and NetEase.com taking big slices of the online games market.

KingsIsle will tap into TaoMee's 30 million active accounts to find new users, said David Nichols, president and chief operating officer of KingsIsle, in an interview. In 2011, the Chinese games market is forecast to rise 21 percent to $5.8 billion, according to Niko Partners.

"Obviously China is a huge market with the largest population and largest number of Internet users in the world so we feel like it's got a lot of potential," he said.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Very cool. My daughters love this game.
The Boy too. Likes it better than Adventure Quest games even.

I hope they don't start charging for it, or make it free to play but structure the "extras" in such a way that there's no point in playing if you don't pay.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Tried Wizard 101 out once, it was interesting, but I didn't think it was worth the money to keep playing, especially when I already had another sub to WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.