Barnes and Noble, Here's what they told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok folks, sorry to start another SOS thread, but wanted you all to see this. I am sitting in Barnes and Noble now and I just spoke with the Community Relations Manager and handed her a press release and business card. I told her the posters, flyers and other goods would be ready soon. She knows me and sees me here often, so she was quick to help.

Here's the deal. When she pulled up the ISBN on our book, there's no info other than the title. She says that's not good. I told her the book was recently released and that Ingram just got a hold of it, so perhaps they are still updating their database. She hopes that's the case.

She explained in detail the importance of an author listing, the type of book and how to categorize it, and whether it's a non-returnable. These issues are pertinent to Barnes and Noble. Now the other thing she mentioned which blew me away, because I too was concerned is that because this book is time sensitive. (Katrina related) that I should find out when Ingram will update so that they can order the book.

I told her that I would be doing some promotions with the media, and her thing is that's fine, but if people come in asking for the book, mainly by a title, then she's afraid that her "newly" staff won't be able to figure out what book to order. And if they come in and ask for it by my name, they still won't be able to pull it up. She says that most customers won't be back a second time for it. She showed me on her computer how all the relevant info was missing in comparison to the other books. It didn't even come up under Jenna's name.

She wants to help out. She did tell me too that she is booked up through the holidays with signings. But promoting this book with posters, flyers etc is possible.

She gave me a Barnes and Noble Acceptance Criteria Sheet, and told me where to send a copy of the book and a press kit to The Small Press Department of Barnes and Noble. It's free and they determine what books to place in their stores nationwide. She says that it usually takes them 6 weeks to respond, but to mention once again the time sensitve matter, and make sure Ingram is updated. This is only an option. Locally, she wants to help.

When I mentioned Jenna, her face lit up. She then began to read the Press Release thoroughly. That felt good, knowing I'm somewhat connected to Jenna. Anyway, she gave me a business card and told me to email her as soon as I knew when Ingram would update. She told me to stress the Katrina time sensitive issue with them, that this might expedite things.

So Jenna, Chunky, others, what do you think?

Last edited:

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Vanessa said:
Here's the deal. When she pulled up the ISBN on our book, there's no info other than the title. She says that's not good. I told her the book was recently released and that Ingram just got a hold of it, so perhaps they are still updating their database. She hopes that's the case.

So Jenna, Chunky, HELP!

Hey Vanessa!

I know I'm not Jenna or Chunky though I wouldn't mind for a day :) . But, after I read this, I did some searching for the ISBN. Found some interesting stuff. First, I found the book listed through BookFinder4U.com. Here's the link directly to the search results: http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSearch.aspx?isbn=1411655036&mode=direct

I did a regular ISBN Search for it on that website. It does mention Barnes & Noble.com amoung others. Here's that link to Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&isbn=1411655036

Weird thing though. If I do anything other than an ISBN search through Barnes & Noble, it doesn't come up anywhere. Also there's nothing listed on ISBNdb.com. Maybe it's still being updated like the lady said.

Hopefully, Jenna or Charlie can shed some light.

-Adam

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I was wondering about that. There's a little something mentioned a while back about that kind of info. It's the stuff you see on the first page in a book, where the publisher, ISBN, which printing it is, etc. shows up. This is 'catalog' data. Jenna is the publisher of record, so I'll email her.

Cross-post! There you are, Jenna. :)

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Vanessa said:
When I mentioned Jenna, her face lit up.

She seems to have that affect on a lot of people, doesn't she? :)

Thanks for getting all this info to us Vanessa. I was about to go to a Barnes and Noble tomorrow (Fresno - about 45 miles away) We don't have one in Visalia.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
JAlpha said:
Searched Barnes & Noble.com today for "Stories of Strength, sorted by publication date. SOS popped right up in the 13th slot, but there is no cover image yet.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?SAT=11&userid=cS1r8kgB0f&WRD=stories+of+strength&SRT=P

Well hello J, How have you been?

Stories of Strength does show up in their database, but there's no other info. There's nothing to show them authorship (she prefers an author listing) and nothing which defines how to categorize the book. I got my books in today, so on the book it clearly shows the shelf category of Inspiration/Self Help. And lastly her issue was the database needs to show whether the book is a non-returnable item for them.

I'm going by there today and show her the book. I;ll let her know I spoke with Jenna about everything and waiting for a reply. I think the book will indicate to her that, it's no amateurish project. (Ugh I hope I spelled that right...too lazy to check, plus in a hurry) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.