round or around

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Please help me with the following sentence. Should I use round or around.

The sentence is:

For me it was the other way around: I knew things would get better.

OR

For me it was the other way round: I knew things would get better.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe there are some differences of usage in the US and the UK.

In the US, it would normally be "the other way around". (I think. It's 'round 4:30 am where I am).

Last edited:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
It's not just differences in country but in region... but that is only if you are using dialogue.

I personally think both are acceptable and have heard them used interchangeably by the same person... Technically, I suspect the root here is that 'round' could be a contraction of 'around' and so the correct usage might once have been:

For me it was the other way 'round: I knew things would get better

:)

In many grammar issues, the problem does not so much come in what usage you use but that you are consistant with it. There are many controversies in grammar (which is why it is such a confusing subject) as there are differences in usage in different regions, different styles, etc. It is therefore not a crime to use a perfectly acceptable usage consistantly throughout a piece. It is a crime to use first one usage and then another, even if both are valid.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks areteus and alleycat.
I'd like to point out that the use is not in dialog. This is a first person POV.

Bearing that in mind what would you say is the proper word: around or round. (No apostrophe used.)

pegasus

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks areteus and alleycat.
I'd like to point out that the use is not in dialog. This is a first person POV.

Bearing that in mind what would you say is the proper word: around or round. (No apostrophe used.)

Well, you'll have to leave it up to the narrator.:)

If s/he is an average American, I'd probably go with 'around'. But if Brit, then I think they often use 'round.'

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting.

For me - UK/Commonwealth - it should be round.

You go round a corner.
You move around the group of people blocking your way.
You make a circle round the object.
You circle around the suspicious object.

Quite specific uses!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
For me - UK/Commonwealth - it should be round.

You go round a corner.
You move around the group of people blocking your way.
You make a circle round the object.
You circle around the suspicious object.

Quite specific uses!

As far as I know, every one of those instances in American would be "around."

You make a round circle around the object.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
This has been one interesting thread. I thought I'd get a simple answer: right or wrong.
So it seems that both are correct. As to UK vs US useage, we still dont have a consensus.

When I asked the question I was thinking: round refers to the shape of an object.
Around refers to a difference, an opposite direction, a different view--sort of like an abstract description or concept.

If s/he is an average American, I'd probably go with 'around'. But if Brit, then I think they often use 'round.'

The narrator is neither American or Brit. However he tends to use US expressions.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Calliopenjo,

Thanks for the links. Yep, there is definitely some ambiguity as to use. In general it seems round is definite, around is vague. But also this depends on the context. There is a great example there of the book title: Around The World In Eighty Days.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score

I think a lot of that is dialect and accent. Consider the following:

'Hello, what are you doing around here?'

'Hey, what ye doing 'round here?'

The second round is a contraction of around due to the person saying it with an accent.

As for first person... I've always considered that you write first person in whatever dialogue style your character uses. Third person needs to be in the 'correct grammatical narrative prose' whereas first person is an attempt to gain empathy with the characther and therefore uses their speech patterns. So the rules for dialogue apply just as much here as they do in speech.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting link. Thanks.

pegasus

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of that is dialect and accent. Consider the following:

'Hello, what are you doing around here?'

'Hey, what ye doing 'round here?'

The second round is a contraction of around due to the person saying it with an accent.

Thanks. I don't get to listen to Britspeak much, but I interact a lot with Brits online, so I didn't think of it as a contraction.

As for first person... I've always considered that you write first person in whatever dialogue style your character uses.

Yes, that's why I suggested leaving the choice up to the narrator. But even in third-person limited, I tend to use language as my protagonist would use it and avoid stuff which is foreign to him.

Right: BubbaLee wanted to shoot the hell out of those deer.

Wrong: BubbaLee's desire was to eradicate the entire herd.

It's not a hard rule with me, but I tend to lean toward Bubba's thought and talk when writing 3rd-limited.

pegasus

Registered
Reaction score
I, in the US, would probably say "around," but I wouldn't pause a nanosecond if I read "round," in a book. Perfectly clear.

I once stumbled for a couple of yoctoseconds over an unfortunately-placed comma, but it didn't hurt at all.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It should be "around". Using "round" in this manner is a colloquialism, and never correct.