Capitolization of Nicknames

Procrastinista

Registered
Reaction score
1. Suppose a character is talking to his younger brother:

"Hey Runt. Come here."

Should "Runt" have a leading cap? If it is a long-standing nickname, I'd say yes. But even if it is being used for the first time, I'd still say yes. "Runt" is being used as a replacement for the brother's name. (i.e. proper noun)

2. What about:

"Hey dude. Come here."

Should "dude" have a leading cap? I'd be inclined to say no if the character refers to all sorts of guys as dudes. (i.e. a generic label)

3. If I'm correct about (1) and (2), then where do you draw the line?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If a word is used as the name of a character, then it must be capitalized. If a character is called something as an insult or a general term, or something else, the it should not be capitalized. In your examples, "Runt" should have a capital, if that is what the character is called by the other one. "Dude" oribably should not be capitalized, because it is a general term for people.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Snick is correct.

If "runt" is just a shortened version of "you little runt," don't capitalize it.

"Hey, you little runt. Come here."

Also, don't forget the comma after "hey."

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I would decide based on how the character is thought about and spoken about by his brother. If he uses Runt as a name all the time, if he speaks of Runt to other family members and close friends, if he thinks of his brother as Runt-with-a-capital-R, then cap it.

If, on the other hand, he just calls him runt occasionally to bug him and doesn't really treat is as a proper name, then leave it lowercase. I would also leave it lowercase if he think of him as "the runt," because that implies to me that it's more a label than a name.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I'd go along with Rainsmom on this. Don't capitalize it unless it's going to be a name.

Sometimes it's just a matter of your own taste. "Wake up, sleepy!" "Wake up, Grouchy!" "Wake up, darling." "Wake up, O Bedheaded One."

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
"Hey, Runt! You know you're a runt, right?"