Friends Responding To Amazon Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm reading a book that is similar to what I'm writing, I like to read the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads to see what others think, and pick up on what potential readers think is tired, cliched etc.

I have started reading a book by an author called Anthony Riches, and reading some of the reviews I clicked on the comments. I then noticed the person referring to the author as Tony berating the reviewer for being too picky. Odd, I thought, this commentor doesn't happen to be an acquaintance of Mr Riches would he?

I know we talk a lot about authors not responding to reviews [even editors!], but I found the fact that friends leaving comments berating a reader's [entitled] opinions with a very nasty taste in my mouth.

Thoughts?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bad idea, sending one's friends in to fight one's battles. The work has to stand on its own, and it makes the author seem like a petty amateur to have his pals defend him.

Maryn, thinking two cents doesn't get you a lot any more

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
To be fair, the author may not have asked his friend

I have a couple of well meaning friends who I have banned from commenting. Because they would do exactly that, berate a reviewer and while they don't, it;s not because they don't want to - they want to defend me to the hilt. I've tried to explain how detrimental this would look but.. it's best just to tell them I'll smack 'em one if they do :D

Friends sometimes do things for the right reasons, but with the wrong results.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what Idiots said. Sometimes really good and well-meaning but misguided friends take it upon themselves to defend authors, and don't actually mention to said authors that they're going to defend them, until they have actually done so.

These well-meaning friends further might not be well-versed in netiquette, and therefore unaware of the Golden Rule of "Never respond to reviews."

Sadly, the casual reader does not understand that the well-meaning friends acted without the author's knowledge, and therefore are not speaking on behalf of the author, and therefore are not in fact sock puppets, mean grrls, trolls, or any of the things the responders are invariably labeled. And no amount of protestation on the part of the author will sway the readers, because that's "interfering" or "responding to reviews."

When it's actually responding to responders who responded to responders of reviews, but who's keeping track?

Sigh.

(personal experience may or may not have anything to do with my response about responders responding to responders who have responded to a review)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Or how about the friends/fans who vote-bomb a review with unhelpful votes when they disagree with the reviewer's opinion, however well-stated? Gotta love that.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I can't hold that against the author. I know my friends would do the same whether I wanted them to or not.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Personally I can't hold that against the author. I know my friends would do the same whether I wanted them to or not.

Yes, this is one of my concerns, that when I get a bad review, a friend might respond inappropriately. They might even mention they're my friend, which would be even worse.

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
Slightly off topic, but I also check reviews on , well, basically everything.

Particularly on books, though. I first note the star/chili pepper/etc rating, and then scroll through some reviews.

I really, truly hate it when writers so obviously have their first 5-10 reviews all glowy and perfect 5 stars or whatever, and then the rest are along the lines of "What is this crap?" Obvious throwing of the average with Uncle Bob's and Grandma's reviewing their work.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I saw an author with 17 five star reviews go after a person who gave her 1 star , and someone else came in and commented that the book had spelling errors (yes, plural) on the first page. She stopped promoting after that

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Or how about the friends/fans who vote-bomb a review with unhelpful votes when they disagree with the reviewer's opinion, however well-stated? Gotta love that.

I see that sooo many times on Amazon. You also just know that they've also gone through all the 1*, 2* and 3* reviews and done the same. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

I don't hold it against the author, but as Maryn has said it makes the author look petty.

If the friend didn't like what that reviewer said about the book, he really isn't going to like my review. ;)

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It does reflect badly on the author, but sadly it's often out of their control.

Reaction score
I had a friend respond to a bad review once (not on Amazon) and I had to ask her to stop in case people thought I'd put her up to it.

As it happens, the reviewer was a fucking idiot and I wonder if he'd even read the book or comprehended what I was trying to do with the characters, but it still wouldn't have looked right if I'd allowed the back-and-forth to continue. Even though my friend was in the right, it couldn't have ended well.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
One of my friends has reviewed both my books on Amazon.uk. I didn't ask her to and she didn't tell me. She does clearly state she's a friend. Other than that I can't get family or friends to buy my books never-mind review. I'm not even sure any of my family have an amazon account. So I presume I won't have to worry about them sticking up for me if I ever get bad reviews.

However, if I thought it was a possibility I would absolutely encourage them not to.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If I would respond to a review whether I knew the author or not (usually because the reviewer makes factual errors), I'll respond re a friend's book. Always ending up, of course, with a "And you're a poopy-pants baby." Gotta be classy.

:D

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the book is really bad. I just burst out laughing.

Has to be a first though, a moustache-twirling Praetorian Guard. :ROFL:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG!

Just been back on Amazon and found this comment . . . from the author:

I see I'm in good company, since you've also stuffed a perfectly good Wilbur Smith up with a low star review not because his book was a poor read, but because it upsets your delicate sensibilities. Thanks for putting a dent in my overall score for the book for the sole reason that you don't like swearing.

And seriously, I know there are authors who don't use the bad language because they fear it scares off readers, but in reality soldiers swear. A lot. And that's the audience I write for. So please do me a favour and don't buy any more of my books ever again. Or, for that matter, review them.

Glad he doesn't need the reviewer buying his books, because I won't be buying any of his again either!

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score

Glad he doesn't need the reviewer buying his books, because I won't be buying any of his again either!

Classy.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I just had a quick peek at his other reviews and he seems to be in the habit of responding to anything negative said against him. Admittedly it's not all as hostile as the example above, but it's just not professional at all.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score

Ouch...apparently the author is one of "those" writers that make all of us look bad.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a quick peek at his other reviews and he seems to be in the habit of responding to anything negative said against him. Admittedly it's not all as hostile as the example above, but it's just not professional at all.

Just wait until he sees my review. :evil

Status
Not open for further replies.