Selling To Large Book Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch-Phase

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering since my first book will be published by a smaller company that leaves me more responsibility with limited funds for promotion..

Is it alright to go to your town's large book stores (Chapters etc) to personally convinse them to order and sell your book? Or is that not allowed?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to do your homework. Like, what is the discount for the book store? What is the return policy? Things like that.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
JMHO as a bookseller...

If you show up to try to get them to carry your book, and it turns out you have a book published by a commercial publisher that has standard discounts and a standard return policy, they will probably love you. Almost all the authors who show up asking for the manager have self- or vanity-pubbed books with nonexistent or extremely limited discount/return options. What that means in practical terms is the bookstore would almost certainly lose money on those books, so the bookstore has to say no.

I know when I worked at a bookstore, if a local author came in asking us to order in their commercially published book, produced to a professional standard, priced competitively, with industry-norm discount/return terms, we would have jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, no one ever did.

So, check with your publisher to see what the terms to bookstores are. Discount should be around 40% and returns should be accepted for at least 90 days, though longer is better. The longer the return time, the longer the store can keep your book on the shelf even if sales are slow. This is good because many times it takes a while for sales to build.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Sure it's allowed. As noted above, a concern of theirs will be your publisher's return policy. If you can't work that out, then find out whether they'll sell on consignment. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.