Smashwords smashed my book

macdonald79

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it. I followed Smashwords's style guidelines to the letter and was able to produce a word doc that created flawless conversions with every converter app I've tried. But when I ran it through Smashwords's very own meatgrinder, it mangled my book—what should be the top of my page (usually the chapter title) is now the bottom of the preceding page.

I'm not really all that angry about it because I see ebooks like this all of the time, so at least I'm not the only one. I just don't understand how is it that their style guidelines work perfectly for every converter except their own.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
There is probably a reason they call it the "Meatgrinder" and not the "Flawless E-book Converter." I do not hear a lot of positive comments about Smashwords' output from my professional e-book formatting friends.

--Ken

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
But when I ran it through Smashwords's very own meatgrinder, it mangled my book—what should be the top of my page (usually the chapter title) is now the bottom of the preceding page.

In which of the many formats that they convert into does this show? With which reader(s)?