PDA

View Full Version : How much American money would fit into a backpack?

Celesta
08-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Are $500 the largest bills? How much would fit in a backpack? I really need to know for my story! Even some educated guesses would really be appreciated!

Celesta
08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
ok, just read that $100 is the largest American bill, is that true?

Celesta
08-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Hehe. Never mind, I think I found the answer. Wow. Some people have too much time on their hands.

http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/million/million.html

alleycat
08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes, these days the largest is the $100 bill. Even earlier the larger bills were not common.

Each wrapper of $100 bills is $10,000. So, roughly, for an average size backpack you could probably fit somewhere between half a million and one million. It might take some stuffing to get one million in there.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see your last post until after I hit Post Reply.

So, what was the answer you came up with?

Celesta
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I think he'll have 1 million in his large backpack.

WriteKnight
08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Great link, thanks! Yeah, looks like a cool million would fit in your average backpack.

amyashley
08-16-2011, 10:41 PM
It might take some stuffing to get one million in there.

I bet you can buy some "As seen on TV" Shrink wrapper vacuum seal dealy-whopper things you put food in for freezing at WAL-MART for about $19.99 that would make this job a snap.

Becky Black
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Check this page out. It shows what one million, one billion etc dollars in $100 dollar bills looks like. Very handy!

http://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html

Celesta
08-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I bet you can buy some "As seen on TV" Shrink wrapper vacuum seal dealy-whopper things you put food in for freezing at WAL-MART for about $19.99 that would make this job a snap.

Check this page out. It shows what one million, one billion etc dollars in $100 dollar bills looks like. Very handy!

http://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html

While the page is interesting and does help to put those amounts into perspective, I think they underestimated the size of 1 million. It would not fit in a regular grocery bag.

http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/million/million.html

alleycat
08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I think one million in a large backpack would work.

I know if someone gave me a millions dollar and told me to put it in a backpack I would make it fit. ;-)

moth
08-17-2011, 06:19 PM
If they were brand new crisp bills wrapped in packs (the $10,000 ones alleycat mentioned) they wouldn't shrink much, if at all. Those are dense but thin bricks, and hard to count by hand without sortkwik stuff. In my years as a teller and teller supervisor they wouldn't let us use cash counters for 50s and 100s, we had to verify those by hand before putting them in the vault or our teller drawers after we bought from the vault. Some of my co-workers didn't count them by hand though, just used the cash counter. (Sometimes it would show 99 or 98 because two or more new crisp bills went through together and the machine counted them as one.)

Unrelated side note: Cash packs, even from the Federal Reserve, can have misplaced bills. I was anal, I counted all cash for my teller drawer -- and vault and ATM when they were under my watch -- by hand, and I often found a 5 in a pack of 50s or a 10 in 20s, etc. Human error probably, but still had to be accounted for/rectified.

But if the bills were handled to the degree of wrinkly-ness that smaller bills get to, and if your character has the time/materials/etc., then a vacuum sealer is a brilliant idea. Space saver and makes it easier to move into or out of the backpack (no worries of loose bills flitting off).

amyashley
08-17-2011, 06:26 PM
But if the bills were handled to the degree of wrinkly-ness that smaller bills get to, and if your character has the time/materials/etc., then a vacuum sealer is a brilliant idea. Space saver and makes it easier to move into or out of the backpack (no worries of loose bills flitting off).

I'd vacuum seal them because I'm paranoid and because they'd be easy to transfer from one container to another. Also, waterproof and a little more secure. I think if I was carrying all that cash I'd want it nice and neat.

I didn't even think of them coming from a teller, but you're right.

And I'm also brilliant. besides, what a great story to tell.

"Did I tell you about the day I shrink-wrapped a million dollars?"

moth
08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Ooh, waterproof. Didn't think of that. Good point.

"Did I tell you about the day I shrink-wrapped a million dollars?"
:D

Becky Black
08-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I think one million in a large backpack would work.

I know if someone gave me a millions dollar and told me to put it in a backpack I would make it fit. ;-)

Yes, I think if they said, if you can carry it you have have it, I'd find a way to carry it all. :D