Is it too late to work with an agent?

BobbyKing

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bobbykingforever.blogspot.com
Hi

I have self-published two novels (eBook) and they are selling fine. (Through smashwords.com and extend to iBookstore (apple), Kindle, Barnes and noble etc).

If I wish to work with an agent today (and assuming they like my book and agree to represent me), do I need to withdraw myself from smashwords and all other avenues? What other main legal and literary considerations do I need to look at?

Thanks
Bob

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
Work on something new. Those books are totally off the table for an agent.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others about writing something new.

Out of curiosity, what's your definition of selling fine?

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Agents and publishers want first rights. You relinquished first rights when you self-published, so these books are pretty much done now, unfortunately.

However, if you have mind-blowing sales (50,000+, and this is probably conservative) an agent may be interested in trying to sell print rights.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Well, actually, it's more like around 5,000 to have the possibility to interest agents.

This. And I would leave the book up for sale. If there is interest from publishers, they will ask you to take it down if you go into a contract with them. Otherwise, leave it up and let the agent see how well it's selling.

If you can back up a strong book with strong sales, it already has a platform established. If you're moving 5,000 books a month, there are probably a lot of agents that would be interested. If you are moving 50 a month, not so much.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
What these guys said - an agent isn't going to be interested in your self-pubbed books unless they're selling like hot cakes, so wait until you have something new to shop around before querying.

You can leave the existing books up, though - unless they're getting awful reviews, they're not doing any harm to your career.