Greetings, from my E-Z Chair!

SharkB8

New Shark Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mirajberry.wordpress.com
Hey, how ya doin'?

So, I've just finished the first draft of a sci fi manuscript that I think I might have a shot at getting published. I've been writing for myself since I was 14 (that is half of my life) and think I finally may have something that I'm not terribly embarrassed to put out there in my real name!

I had an editor-type look over the first chapter and a buddy of mine read the whole thing. There is a decent story in there, just needs some meat and potatoes, dash of salt.

Over the last ten years or so, I've concentrated my writing on screenplays, but wanted to get back to the narrative. Unfortunately, my style is still pretty stuck on script format. To add salt to my wounds, I have a degree in journalism...so clear, concise writing replaced the flowing, descriptive voice I once possessed. I thought I would join a few message boards not only to commiserate, but to share techniques on curing my literary laryngitis.

I'm originally from the Twin Cities. I went to college and worked for ten years in Rhode Island. I am also in the Coast Guard Reserve and spent 7 months at the BP Oil Spill. That was a really important deployment as it helped me to rediscover myself after I'd lost that person somewhere in the rubble of a lousy 7-year "series of unfortunate events." My deployment also helped to to collect enough courage to pursue a career in medicine. I have been working on the last few courses I need to take the MCAT while working in a doctors office and staying with family in VA.

I have really lost all of my passion. Writing was one of them and I am slowly, but surely getting it back.

I look forward to meeting, sharing, and exchanging advice with all of you!

Cheers!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Sharky,

I see from your profile that you were born in 1903 - You're quite ambitious for someone who is 108 years old.

I'm impressed, I tell ya. :tongue

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.