• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas wanted: contemporary YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

trolly dei

I'm in love with everything!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leeftappynix.blogspot.com
I’m looking for betas for my contemporary YA, APEIRON. Here’s a rough draft of my query:

Emily is having a mid mid-life crisis.
After a freak encounter at gunpoint leaves her unharmed and wondering how afraid she ought to feel, Emily decides it’s time to re-evaluate her priorities. She wants a fresh start on life, and most of all, independence. Emily vows to get rid of nearly all her possessions by the time she graduates high school in the spring; she hates the idea of being tied down by anything.
When Bonnie, her sort-of best friend, abandons her drunk at a teacher’s house, it might be time to get rid of Bonnie, too. As the contents of her room gradually end up with friends, in the lost and found, or in random trees, Emily turns to Cho Park: an intimidating and fiercely independent classmate. Emily also takes up Greek philosophy, thanks to an eager teacher and a library book she may end up keeping.
Emily is determined to figure out who she is and what she stands for, apart from all her money, magazines, and clothes. Her parents might not understand it, and Bonnie certainly doesn’t like being ignored, but Emily must decide for herself what (and who) she wants to keep in her life.
Written as two thirds narrative and one third quirky, aphoristic journal entries, APEIRON is a 55 000 word contemporary YA novel with a literary bent.

I’ve been revising the novel for a few months now, and I’m fairly confident in the grammar and writing itself. What I’m looking for is an overall opinion of the book- does it flow well? Is the plot engaging? Is there enough conflict? Is the ending satisfying? I'm not afraid of brutal honesty. Previous betas have said they liked the voice, dialogue, and humor, but they said Apeiron was much more literary, and much less typical high school story, so… be warned. This book might be for you, if:
-you like atypical YA novels
-you don’t believe every YA novel needs to revolve around romance
-you enjoy substantial amounts of irony.

You can read a sample of the journal entries here. If you’re interested, leave a comment or PM me! Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.