Rohypnol - symptoms and side effects

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, this is a bit of a dodgy area of expertise and one possibly controversial... the very fact that this is an illegal substance being used for an illegal act makes it, obviously, very difficult to get information on. I can go onto Wikipedia and probably get loads of facts on this drug but it is not really facts I am looking for (though I don't mind if people post some below).

Hopefully, someone can answer this...

I have a character who is being drugged with Rohypnol (or a similar drug, I am actually not bothered what it is so long as it has the effect of rendering her unconscious, though it does need to be administered by a drink). What I am looking for is any general information anyone may have on this (how easy is it to get hold of in a nightclub, what does it look like, does it add taste to the drink, have an aftertaste, a smell etc).

I am also looking for some more specific thoughts on the symptoms involved. In particular, how will she feel as she is affected by the drug and how she will appear to any onlookers. It is these last two which I don't think it is possible to find out about easily from an internet search and so I am hoping that there may be some people on here who have observed this drug in effect (paramedics, people who were witness to this sort of thing, even victims of it, though I urge you not to post if you feel uncomfortable about talking about it) who can give me some insights from a thoughts and feelings PoV rather than just a clinical list of symptoms.

Thank you in advance for any information.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
Sure, I don't mind talking about it. I got it from a bartender, as it turns out. I was with a big group and thought it must have been one of the guys, till the bartender was arrested a few weeks later for giving it to someone else.

No clue how easy it would be to get or what it looks like. I was drinking a chocolate cherry flavored cocktail, and I didn't smell or taste anything unusual. I'm actually pretty on-guard in nightclubs, never set my drink down for a moment type of thing, so I know I would have realized if anything seemed "off."

Anyway, at first it just seemed like I got drunk really fast. I have those cocktails frequently, and I know my usual tolerance...I wasn't even halfway through my first and I felt like I'd had about six. I staggered from the dance floor over to a couch. Then the spinning kicked in. Apparently it was vertigo, or at least that's what my best friend with Meniere's disease, which causes frequent vertigo, said. It was like the entire club was one of those Gravitron rides, and I was clinging to the couch trying not to spin off.

Then I started going in and out of consciousness. I remember waking up to a bouncer yelling at me about sleeping in the club. Then I woke up again with one of my friends stroking my hair and gently shaking me. He made me drink some water. Then I woke up again in the backseat of the car on the way home. Then not again until sometime the next afternoon, still in my club clothes, on a friend's couch.

I was sick as a dog that whole next day--kind of like a cross between a hangover and the flu. I pushed fluids and gradually managed to eat lightly, and was okay to drive home by that night. Took me about three days to fully recover though.

In retrospect, I should have gone to the hospital. But as I pieced together later, everybody just thought I was really drunk. Nobody was keeping up with how much anyone else was drinking, most of the group was drunk...so it was a logical conclusion. But I am SO fortunate that I was with a group that got me out of there okay. I literally would have been at that bartender's mercy, and it's a really scary thought.

Hope that helps!

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. @cbenoi: I was not aware there were already threads on this (for some reason, maybe because this PC is on its way out riddled with 'issues', the search function on forums never seem to work for me very well - I got no hits on this, if I do it again I may get loads...) but will look at them. I should have known there would be and dug deeper when I found nothing the first time :)

@blackrose: That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks. I guessed that the symptoms would be close to being drunk but I needed confirmation of that from someone. I really appreciate the help you have given.

@missesdash: That looks like more of what I need too... I will definitely give that a look.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Rohypnol is my favourite sleeping pill. It's effect are sudden and total. I just drop. I buy them in pharmacies in third world countries. I stock up when I travel. Last time was in Cambodia.
Today I'd never set my foot on a long flight without them. Last time I came home from Thailand I had screaming infants on three sides. I still slept like a.... well... not baby. More like a clubbed seal.

The next day it's a bit like being on valium. Relaxed and slow. A great way to start a holiday. I have a stressful job. Instantaneously I slide into vacation-mode. So these pills definitely have a use apart from date-raping.

Another drug you can use is Ketogan. My ex-wife in Goa got some poured into her beer by some idiot Israeli guy who thought it was funny. When she collapsed, my choices were to punch him in the face or carry my wife home. I did the adult thing. I still can't shake that guy's stupid sneer from my mind as I picked her up. She was conscious but had no control over her body. She was like a doll. She moved around but only weakly in a highly uncoordinated fashion. Her speech was night-marish slurred low babbling. In the morning all she had was fractured and distorted memories of the events, but otherwise felt fine. Anything could have happened to her by anyone and she wouldn't know. When I told her that I'd taken off her clothes and put her to bed she had to ask if it was me who did it.

Ketogan can be bought at pharmacies in India. It's a tasteless clear liquid. I've been told it's horse tranquilizer. There are people who take it willingly for "fun".