Who Do You Blog For?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
When I started blogging it was for myself. I told very few people about it. I wanted to get into the habit of writing something regularly.

After a bit, though, I discovered that I disliked all this talking to myself. I wanted to hear what other people had to say. I found that a group of people who belonged to a forum I frequented had LiveJournals. I went there and signed up, joined their "friends list" and voila - it was conversation time. I didn't get everything out of it that I wanted, LJ was more like a coffee klatch. Don't get me wrong, I still post there and I *love* the community and the coffee klatching - when I need support for a personal crisis, that's where I go. When I have the urge to do a silly meme, it's LJ time. My LJ friends are very dear.

But, I wanted to start writing more substantial posts. These seemed out of place on LJ and I still wasn't getting traffic or comments on my original blog.

Then I discovered AW. And the blogs of other AWers. And I started my new blog. I still don't get a lot of traffic or comments, but I comment on other blogs and I don't feel as much like I'm talking to myself.

How about you?

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I'm new to all this blogging stuff -- I'm barely learning. I just recently started blogging for myself but I have no idea of how to put a comment thing on my site. (I tried but it would never work so I removed it.)

edit to add: I did it. I finally have a real blog on my site. It used to be me updating a webpage but now I linked it to a blog page.

please come take a peek/there's nothing serious in there. just simple stuff: http://midnightwritings.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm new to blogging, too, and I'm not yet sure why I'm doing it. I haven't given out the url anywhere, so the only people who know about it are people whose blogs I've commented in. And that's the way I want it, at least for now. I get enough "exposure" and commentary elsewhere. I'd like the blog to feel like a haven of sorts, one that only a small circle of friends know about. But I still have no real idea what I want to say there. ;)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
My blog is maybe a year and a half old, now. I started it for much the same reason you started yours, Dawno--motivation to write more regularly, a place to fine-tune thoughts, and so on. Mostly because it never really occurred to me that anyone would read the thing.

I still blog primarily for myself. I blog for my commenters, too, though. I try to write about things they'll find as interesting as I do.

It never fails to surprise me, though, that topics I think are going to bore my readers turn out, instead, to be the posts that get the most action. :)

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I do not have a blog. Whatever one's reason for having/maintaining one, it concerns me that it appears either precious time or money generating ideas or both are provided the blog, detracting from revenue generation.

Just my 0.2 cents.

ATP

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ATP, you're probably right, in some (ok, maybe many) cases. I wonder how many established and productive authors keep a well maintained blog and how they'd respond. I visit Neil Gaiman's blog pretty regularly but not many others. Perhaps they feel there's a good return on the investment?

Oooh goodie - a new project for Dawno - hunting down author blogs.

Lady of Prose

Member - the "Sting Gang."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to blog--but I'm afraid of getting into too much me, me, me, and I, I, I, and boring me.

Somehow I find my life rather dull as of late, and can't imagine sharing it with others. I guess I could blog about my BIC and the moments of inspiration?

:idea:

All kidding aside, would you approach the blog much like a daily diary?

Edit for P.S. I have visited the "squashed gopher's" blog site a few times, and find it (the gopher) to be a very good and informative writer, considering it is smashed flat into a tapestry panel.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to see what other AWers are blogging about I have a whole list of links (and am going to be adding more) on my blog - you can check them out.

The great thing about blogging is you can approach it anyway you want. I see a lot of diary like postings on blogs as well as others that are more about issues. Mine's a mix.

There are a lot of great free blogging hosts, so you're not out much by giving it a try - just the time it takes to set it up (and I was posting on Live Journal within minutes).

If you decide to dive in and don't mind letting people know about it, please let me add your link to my AW bloggers list.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't feel bad about not having one now. Jenna said it just right.

'Why do I want to do this?' Until I answer that, I probably won't get one. I may do it after NaNo is finished. 50,000 words is kind of big for SYW.

I've bookmarked some of my AW friends blogs (as I found them) in a separate sub-folder under 'writing links'. That link already rolls off the screen and out the front door to the street when I open it. I wish I could ride it. If I added everyone's, I could hop on it and take it all the way to town. :eek:

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
I usually blog for the few family members and friends who stop by and read it. Usually, I post news snippets with commentary and funny things I've run across in my day.

I find that the more you comment on others' blogs, the more likely you'll have people visit yours... I'm sure it'll be a neat and useful tool to discuss things with readers if I ever get published. I really like John Scalzi's blog, which I've been reading day-to-day. He's usually entertaining.

I guess I troll blogs for news and commentaries. I follow up on the news because it's sometimes inaccurate, but it's a starting point.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think blogging is an interesting experience. I don't blog all the time, but when I do, I want to say something interesting and not just "I ate an egg today and it was good." I also like to see if anyone would comment on anything, because I really hate feeling like I'm talking to myself. Sometimes I stop blogging because I don't think people are interested, and I'd rather just keep my thoughts to myself, then. But when I see that people are reading and commenting on it, I feel more motivated.

I like blogging because it's like a snapshot of my brain at various times. I could read something I wrote a year ago and go, "Wow, what was I thinking." So that's good. I use my website mostly for promotion/marketing, etc. But if you really want to know how I think -- sometimes, not all the times -- the blog is a better place.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I just blog for the heck of it. It's a place I can put some stuff up on a big eletronic board and see what happens. Mostly it's for myself. But I did tell a select few of friends and family who do read it. Now that I posted on AW, others may read it. If anyone gets anything out of it, cool. If not, no biggie. I'll still write it.

Lady of Prose

Member - the "Sting Gang."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did it! I have a blog. Not ready to unveil it yet--but it is DAWNO'S fault that I have one. So anything that you have complaints about, please take it up with her. Just to refresh your memory, it's Dawno's fault for everything since 1959 I believe it was. Well, it's just her fault. I could do a blog on all the things that are Dawno's fault. Don't believe me? Just ask her. :popcorn: Dawno, answer your PM.

I guess I blog for Dawno.

Deleted member 42

I started blogging in 2002 for professional reasons--I work in Instructional Technology, and software development; blogs are fabulous in terms of teaching, and in terms of project management/development.

I have several blogs (Macallister, stop snickering!) and spend a fair amount of time testing blogging systems and clients, and teaching people How to Blog.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
In fact, Lisa has blogs she's apparently forgotten she ever started...*snrrk* *snort*

Now they just sit quietly, a monument to...errr...

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lady of Prose said:
I did it! I have a blog. Not ready to unveil it yet--but it is DAWNO'S fault that I have one. So anything that you have complaints about, please take it up with her. Just to refresh your memory, it's Dawno's fault for everything since 1959 I believe it was. Well, it's just her fault. I could do a blog on all the things that are Dawno's fault. Don't believe me? Just ask her. :popcorn: Dawno, answer your PM.

I guess I blog for Dawno.

July 1957
Please, don't try and do a blog on all the things that are my fault - it's easier just to go to Wikipedia and read all the articles there on disasters and tragedies.

Sent you a PM back!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
I started blogging in 2002 for professional reasons--I work in Instructional Technology, and software development; blogs are fabulous in terms of teaching, and in terms of project management/development.

I have several blogs (Macallister, stop snickering!) and spend a fair amount of time testing blogging systems and clients, and teaching people How to Blog.

Do you, perchance, have the "Teaching People How to Blog" on a blog? or at least a website? I'd love to read it.

Deleted member 42

MacAllister said:
In fact, Lisa has blogs she's apparently forgotten she ever started...*snrrk* *snort*

Now they just sit quietly, a monument to...errr...

Ha!

I know exactly where the tombs are. I beta tested for, . . . well, pretty much everybody. Sometimes even I run out of things to say <g>

Deleted member 42

Dawno said:
Do you, perchance, have the "Teaching People How to Blog" on a blog? or at least a website? I'd love to read it.

Some of it it's a book from O'Reilly, and the rest of it is scattered. I probably should post it, now that I think of it.

I'll add that to the list . . .

MarkPettus

Writer and Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markpettus.com
I blog for readers. I love readers, I love to be read, I need to be read. I'm a needy writer who needs to be read by readers.

Actually, I'm not sure who I blog for. Most of my commenters are writers, but I doubt I would have started blogging just to talk to other writers. I could do that here.

Readers, family, co-workers, people who know me from the paper, or from my other published works, don't comment often, so I'm not sure if they are even passing through, but they are much more my original target audience.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'm blogging because I gave in to a sudden impulse and because it's techno-dweeb-friendly. Sorta. I still need to figure out a lot of stuff. And yep, more readers is hardly ever a bad thing.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Reposting since it didn't make it through the Great Migration:

My first blog was one I started on behalf of the regulars on another message board. Some of the guys on ModernMusclecars.net wanted somewhat more regular updates on my Dodge Dart project car. Since I normally don't start many threads about my own cars unless I get something running, I thought it was best to start a blog. That is how Mad Scientist Matt's Lair came to be. I expect it mostly to be read by people on a couple car forums I frequent, but if it becomes popular enough it may be useful for promoting car books.

Not long after I started that, my fiancee suggested a blog about local restaurants. After all, big cities have their online guides, why not ours? So I started ccdining.blogspot.com as a guide to restaurants in Covington, Conyers, and the rest of Newton and Rockdale Counties in Georgia. So, this blog is for anyone who might be visiting or living in the area - and, of course, for Kelly.

I put a Sitemeter on my first blog, and might get something for CCDining too. Right now it doesn't look like I have very many readers, but I intend to write it as though it may one day reach a wider audience.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
Blogging = Sanity

I blog because it maintains my sanity. I had a baby last year and I became somewhat depressed, I didn't know what to do with myself or anything around me.

I visit a board on world royalty, asking if anyone knew of any jobs related to writing about royalty, since it's a subject which I really love and enjoy. The moderator suggested starting my own blog. So I did - http://www.marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com

I've tried other types of blogs, on different subject matter - one blog was about motherhood and trying to find ways to cope. I felt very alone and isolated and I chronicaled my search for other mothers in the neighborhood, how some seemed to be unpenetrable cliques, my desire to throttle parents who brag about their babies incessantly (my 2 month old said his first word!) then it started to become a forum to vent about my mother-in-law..so I have given up on it.

The royalty blog gave me a sense of purpose in my life, I don't want to sound cheesy by saying that (cue sentimental moment tv show music), but it really did. I don't feel right unless I'm writing something about royalty. I'm now taking it a lot more seriously and I'm trying to find ways to do this (writing - not blogging) for a living. If I can make money at blogging I won't complain, as long as it's about royalty.

Last edited:

AmyBA

I'm a believer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amyba.com
I do a variation of the lit blog thing with Ruining My Eyes-- I talk about what I'm reading, observations, and whenever possible, book suggestions (yeah, it's the librarian in me, I guess). I'd like to think that's what makes my blog different, that not only to I talk about a book, but usually I try and tie it to one or two other titles that may interest readers.

Since I don't have many readers, or commenters, yet, I guess I'd have to say it's more for me than anyone else at this point. I just want to take it and see how far I can go with it.

Last edited: