PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Blog For?

Dawno
11-13-2005, 06:41 AM
When I started blogging it was for myself. I told very few people about it. I wanted to get into the habit of writing something regularly.

After a bit, though, I discovered that I disliked all this talking to myself. I wanted to hear what other people had to say. I found that a group of people who belonged to a forum I frequented had LiveJournals. I went there and signed up, joined their "friends list" and voila - it was conversation time. I didn't get everything out of it that I wanted, LJ was more like a coffee klatch. Don't get me wrong, I still post there and I *love* the community and the coffee klatching - when I need support for a personal crisis, that's where I go. When I have the urge to do a silly meme, it's LJ time. My LJ friends are very dear.

But, I wanted to start writing more substantial posts. These seemed out of place on LJ and I still wasn't getting traffic or comments on my original blog.

Then I discovered AW. And the blogs of other AWers. And I started my new blog. I still don't get a lot of traffic or comments, but I comment on other blogs and I don't feel as much like I'm talking to myself.

How about you?

September skies
11-13-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm new to all this blogging stuff -- I'm barely learning. I just recently started blogging for myself but I have no idea of how to put a comment thing on my site. (I tried but it would never work so I removed it.)

edit to add: I did it. I finally have a real blog on my site. It used to be me updating a webpage but now I linked it to a blog page.

please come take a peek/there's nothing serious in there. just simple stuff: http://midnightwritings.blogspot.com/

JennaGlatzer
11-13-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm new to blogging, too, and I'm not yet sure why I'm doing it. I haven't given out the url anywhere, so the only people who know about it are people whose blogs I've commented in. And that's the way I want it, at least for now. I get enough "exposure" and commentary elsewhere. I'd like the blog to feel like a haven of sorts, one that only a small circle of friends know about. But I still have no real idea what I want to say there. ;)

MacAllister
11-13-2005, 12:15 PM
My blog is maybe a year and a half old, now. I started it for much the same reason you started yours, Dawno--motivation to write more regularly, a place to fine-tune thoughts, and so on. Mostly because it never really occurred to me that anyone would read the thing.

I still blog primarily for myself. I blog for my commenters, too, though. I try to write about things they'll find as interesting as I do.

It never fails to surprise me, though, that topics I think are going to bore my readers turn out, instead, to be the posts that get the most action. :)

ATP
11-13-2005, 01:40 PM
I do not have a blog. Whatever one's reason for having/maintaining one, it concerns me that it appears either precious time or money generating ideas or both are provided the blog, detracting from revenue generation.

Just my 0.2 cents.

ATP

Dawno
11-13-2005, 01:46 PM
ATP, you're probably right, in some (ok, maybe many) cases. I wonder how many established and productive authors keep a well maintained blog and how they'd respond. I visit Neil Gaiman's blog pretty regularly but not many others. Perhaps they feel there's a good return on the investment?

Oooh goodie - a new project for Dawno - hunting down author blogs.

Lady of Prose
11-13-2005, 01:52 PM
I would love to blog--but I'm afraid of getting into too much me, me, me, and I, I, I, and boring me.

Somehow I find my life rather dull as of late, and can't imagine sharing it with others. I guess I could blog about my BIC and the moments of inspiration?

:idea:

All kidding aside, would you approach the blog much like a daily diary?

Edit for P.S. I have visited the "squashed gopher's" blog site a few times, and find it (the gopher) to be a very good and informative writer, considering it is smashed flat into a tapestry panel.

Dawno
11-13-2005, 02:08 PM
If you want to see what other AWers are blogging about I have a whole list of links (and am going to be adding more) on my blog - you can check them out.

The great thing about blogging is you can approach it anyway you want. I see a lot of diary like postings on blogs as well as others that are more about issues. Mine's a mix.

There are a lot of great free blogging hosts, so you're not out much by giving it a try - just the time it takes to set it up (and I was posting on Live Journal within minutes).

If you decide to dive in and don't mind letting people know about it, please let me add your link to my AW bloggers list.

Unique
11-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, I don't feel bad about not having one now. Jenna said it just right.

'Why do I want to do this?' Until I answer that, I probably won't get one. I may do it after NaNo is finished. 50,000 words is kind of big for SYW.

I've bookmarked some of my AW friends blogs (as I found them) in a separate sub-folder under 'writing links'. That link already rolls off the screen and out the front door to the street when I open it. I wish I could ride it. If I added everyone's, I could hop on it and take it all the way to town. :eek:

emeraldcite
11-13-2005, 07:02 PM
I usually blog for the few family members and friends who stop by and read it. Usually, I post news snippets with commentary and funny things I've run across in my day.

I find that the more you comment on others' blogs, the more likely you'll have people visit yours... I'm sure it'll be a neat and useful tool to discuss things with readers if I ever get published. I really like John Scalzi's blog (http://www.johnscalzi.com/whatever/), which I've been reading day-to-day. He's usually entertaining.

I guess I troll blogs for news and commentaries. I follow up on the news because it's sometimes inaccurate, but it's a starting point.

maestrowork
11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
I think blogging is an interesting experience. I don't blog all the time, but when I do, I want to say something interesting and not just "I ate an egg today and it was good." I also like to see if anyone would comment on anything, because I really hate feeling like I'm talking to myself. Sometimes I stop blogging because I don't think people are interested, and I'd rather just keep my thoughts to myself, then. But when I see that people are reading and commenting on it, I feel more motivated.

I like blogging because it's like a snapshot of my brain at various times. I could read something I wrote a year ago and go, "Wow, what was I thinking." So that's good. I use my website mostly for promotion/marketing, etc. But if you really want to know how I think -- sometimes, not all the times -- the blog is a better place.

AdamH
11-14-2005, 12:34 AM
I just blog for the heck of it. It's a place I can put some stuff up on a big eletronic board and see what happens. Mostly it's for myself. But I did tell a select few of friends and family who do read it. Now that I posted on AW, others may read it. If anyone gets anything out of it, cool. If not, no biggie. I'll still write it.

Lady of Prose
11-14-2005, 05:23 AM
I did it! I have a blog. Not ready to unveil it yet--but it is DAWNO'S fault that I have one. So anything that you have complaints about, please take it up with her. Just to refresh your memory, it's Dawno's fault for everything since 1959 I believe it was. Well, it's just her fault. I could do a blog on all the things that are Dawno's fault. Don't believe me? Just ask her. :popcorn: Dawno, answer your PM.

I guess I blog for Dawno.

Medievalist
11-14-2005, 05:29 AM
I started blogging in 2002 for professional reasons--I work in Instructional Technology, and software development; blogs are fabulous in terms of teaching, and in terms of project management/development.

I have several blogs (Macallister, stop snickering!) and spend a fair amount of time testing blogging systems and clients, and teaching people How to Blog.

MacAllister
11-14-2005, 05:36 AM
In fact, Lisa has blogs she's apparently forgotten she ever started...*snrrk* *snort*

Now they just sit quietly, a monument to...errr...

sthrnwriter
11-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Oooh goodie - a new project for Dawno - hunting down author blogs.

Authors Blogs (http://www.authorsblogs.com), Published (http://www.published.com), and Writers Blog Alliance (http://www.writersblogalliance.com) has lists for you to look through.

Dawno
11-14-2005, 05:39 AM
I did it! I have a blog. Not ready to unveil it yet--but it is DAWNO'S fault that I have one. So anything that you have complaints about, please take it up with her. Just to refresh your memory, it's Dawno's fault for everything since 1959 I believe it was. Well, it's just her fault. I could do a blog on all the things that are Dawno's fault. Don't believe me? Just ask her. :popcorn: Dawno, answer your PM.

I guess I blog for Dawno.

July 1957
Please, don't try and do a blog on all the things that are my fault - it's easier just to go to Wikipedia and read all the articles there on disasters and tragedies.

Sent you a PM back!

Dawno
11-14-2005, 05:40 AM
I started blogging in 2002 for professional reasons--I work in Instructional Technology, and software development; blogs are fabulous in terms of teaching, and in terms of project management/development.

I have several blogs (Macallister, stop snickering!) and spend a fair amount of time testing blogging systems and clients, and teaching people How to Blog.

Do you, perchance, have the "Teaching People How to Blog" on a blog? or at least a website? I'd love to read it.

Medievalist
11-14-2005, 05:48 AM
In fact, Lisa has blogs she's apparently forgotten she ever started...*snrrk* *snort*

Now they just sit quietly, a monument to...errr...

Ha!

I know exactly where the tombs are. I beta tested for, . . . well, pretty much everybody. Sometimes even I run out of things to say <g>

Medievalist
11-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Do you, perchance, have the "Teaching People How to Blog" on a blog? or at least a website? I'd love to read it.

Some of it it's a book from O'Reilly, and the rest of it is scattered. I probably should post it, now that I think of it.

I'll add that to the list . . .

MarkPettus
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
I blog for readers. I love readers, I love to be read, I need to be read. I'm a needy writer who needs to be read by readers.

Actually, I'm not sure who I blog for. Most of my commenters are writers, but I doubt I would have started blogging just to talk to other writers. I could do that here.

Readers, family, co-workers, people who know me from the paper, or from my other published works, don't comment often, so I'm not sure if they are even passing through, but they are much more my original target audience.

aka eraser
11-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm blogging because I gave in to a sudden impulse and because it's techno-dweeb-friendly. Sorta. I still need to figure out a lot of stuff. And yep, more readers is hardly ever a bad thing.

MadScientistMatt
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Reposting since it didn't make it through the Great Migration:

My first blog was one I started on behalf of the regulars on another message board. Some of the guys on ModernMusclecars.net wanted somewhat more regular updates on my Dodge Dart project car. Since I normally don't start many threads about my own cars unless I get something running, I thought it was best to start a blog. That is how Mad Scientist Matt's Lair (http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com) came to be. I expect it mostly to be read by people on a couple car forums I frequent, but if it becomes popular enough it may be useful for promoting car books.

Not long after I started that, my fiancee suggested a blog about local restaurants. After all, big cities have their online guides, why not ours? So I started ccdining.blogspot.com (http://ccdining.blogspot.com) as a guide to restaurants in Covington, Conyers, and the rest of Newton and Rockdale Counties in Georgia. So, this blog is for anyone who might be visiting or living in the area - and, of course, for Kelly.

I put a Sitemeter on my first blog, and might get something for CCDining too. Right now it doesn't look like I have very many readers, but I intend to write it as though it may one day reach a wider audience.

Marilyn Braun
11-22-2005, 12:56 AM
I blog because it maintains my sanity. I had a baby last year and I became somewhat depressed, I didn't know what to do with myself or anything around me.

I visit a board on world royalty, asking if anyone knew of any jobs related to writing about royalty, since it's a subject which I really love and enjoy. The moderator suggested starting my own blog. So I did - http://www.marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com (http://www.marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com/)

I've tried other types of blogs, on different subject matter - one blog was about motherhood and trying to find ways to cope. I felt very alone and isolated and I chronicaled my search for other mothers in the neighborhood, how some seemed to be unpenetrable cliques, my desire to throttle parents who brag about their babies incessantly (my 2 month old said his first word!) then it started to become a forum to vent about my mother-in-law..so I have given up on it.

The royalty blog gave me a sense of purpose in my life, I don't want to sound cheesy by saying that (cue sentimental moment tv show music), but it really did. I don't feel right unless I'm writing something about royalty. I'm now taking it a lot more seriously and I'm trying to find ways to do this (writing - not blogging) for a living. If I can make money at blogging I won't complain, as long as it's about royalty.

AmyBA
11-22-2005, 07:44 AM
I do a variation of the lit blog thing with Ruining My Eyes (http://www.ruiningmyeyes.com)-- I talk about what I'm reading, observations, and whenever possible, book suggestions (yeah, it's the librarian in me, I guess). I'd like to think that's what makes my blog different, that not only to I talk about a book, but usually I try and tie it to one or two other titles that may interest readers.

Since I don't have many readers, or commenters, yet, I guess I'd have to say it's more for me than anyone else at this point. I just want to take it and see how far I can go with it.

Niesta
11-29-2005, 03:11 AM
I started blogging for three reasons:

1) I'd just had a baby and I wanted to record as much about his early life as possible (and I'm SO glad I have this record now)

2) I was about to move very far away from all my family and friends, and I wanted a way for them to keep up with what I was doing (it's been a mixed blessing in this regard: they're up-to-date on MY life so they don't feel the need to write to me!)

3) I wanted something that would discipline me to write a little every day (it worked very well for this, when I was just getting started. Now that I'm doing other writing as well, the blog does sometimes feel like an obligation).

Anatole Ghio
11-29-2005, 01:43 PM
I blog to improve my writing, learn more about what it's like to have a readership, and because having people read my stuff makes me feel all warm inside. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonbanana.gif

ProsperitySue
11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I want to write fiction, but I also have the desire to write articles where I might need to share my personal experiences and thoughts. When I blog, I take some risks -- not a lot at this point -- but some. It gives me practice writing and I get a feel for what I want to share publicly. My blog isn't a journal, but more quotes and thoughts.

I've been blogging a couple of months. It was a stretch to post the blog in an AW forum. I was thinking -- do I really want them to know this about me?!! If want to be an effective writer then I've got to let someone read it beside myself. Blogging is a good way for me to become more comfortable with myself and what I want to say.

I set up my blogs at blogger.com and it was simple and quick. I think blogs are great. An article can come out months after it is written. This way, we can get a more intimate, real-time version of the person's thoughts, unedited by anyone but the blogger. If we like it, it's a real pleasure to be able to come back and see what's new. Not everyone wants to be published in a book or a magazine, but their words can be gold.

One of my blogs is Finding My Way to Well-being (http://findingmywaytowellbeing.blogspot.com/).

maestrowork
11-30-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm resigned to the idea that probably not a whole lot of people are going to read my blog. That's okay. I still do it. I think it's good to be able to share my thoughts and writing, even if only one or two people would read it.

Dawno
11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Niesta and Anatole, thank you for posting. I hope you'll continue participating in this forum - feel free to start new threads and continue the conversations already in progress. It's exciting to see new folks join in!

Richard White
12-03-2005, 08:00 AM
My blog is primarily my writing journal. When I was being serious about BIC,I was using it to record my daily progress. I have to admit, the college classes I'm taking are taking a chunk out of my writing time, but I do note when I do accomplish something.

Yes, the occasional meme slips in, but I try not to post silly stuff.

With the end of semester in sight (one more weekend after this), I'm hoping to get back to writing seriously. (keeps fingers crossed)

jdkiggins
12-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm finally getting around to this new forum. Dawno, you're doing a great job here!

When I started my blog, I was going to use it as a daily journal and blog for myself. It's turned out being a journal of my writing, goals and progress. Sometimes I slip in a personal rant, and then I worry about posting for the world to see.

blisswriter
12-07-2005, 10:38 PM
I blog to vent mostly.

Recently however, I did send the link to an acquaintance because I know he's bored at work most of the day.

Paint
12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I blog because I want to get my stuff out 'there.' It is a handy tool to show someone my work.

Sometimes I vent, like when I posted a nasty political letter. It is a soapbox for me. I like to be outrageous because I can. I haven't heard of any blog police yet! I like to run through "next blog" and see what others are doing. Although one time I ran into a naked lady and a deer! Shriek!!!! (I was at work too!)
I enjoy reading other AWers blogs. It is fun and free. So why not? I have two and use one for a newsletter about a group I belong to.
Paint

Annabella
12-08-2005, 12:35 AM
I blog for me. It started (two days ago!!) as a BIC exercise. It is also for me because i have no readers :ROFL:

smbwallace
01-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Initially I started blogging to see if I could make any money. I made a little but I found blogging to be great fun, addictive even. I'm not blogging for money right now but have a couple of blogs going. One is Arkansas Profiles (http://www.arkansasprofiles.com), which gives updates on my writing website (http://www.geocities.com/smbwallace2003/arkansasprofiles.html), and the other is Living the Mom Life (http://www.livingthemomlife.blogspot.com), which chronicles the challenges of motherhood from where I stand! I find it helps me get my creative juices flowing and it keeps me thinking about writing.

I guess I said all that to say I blog for ME!

L M Ashton
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I originally started blogging on a whim with the intent of improving my writing and making writing into more of a habit. But in the course of finding blogging software, I found my husband (http://www.laurieandfahim.laurieashton.com)- he's the programmer for the software (http://www.farook.org/bytes.htm)I ended up using (Blog).

I ended up, shortly after starting to blog (2 months), moving to a foreign country - Canada to Sri Lanka - halfway around the world to marry this guy :D, so I ended up starting another blog (http://www.srilanka.laurieashton.com/blog.htm)to document life here. I started it initially so that friends and family back home, none of whom had met the guy, would know he hadn't chopped me up and stashed me in the freezer. And then, I ended up getting readers from all over the world who want to know what life is like here, so I keep it partly for me so I remember what life here is like (I have a lousy memory), especially in the beginning, partly for loved ones, and partly for those other strangers who've happened across my ramblings.

Does it detract from revenue generating activities? I don't think so. I think, though, that when I reach the point of publishing a book, I'll have a whole bunch of readers, a ready-made audience from those who already read my stuff, albeit a different type of stuff.

I think that blogging helps me learn to express myself better. It also helps me write on a more regular basis than I probably would otherwise. But you know what? It's also fun. Telling stories about all the cows wandering around, mooing any time of day, stopping traffic - that sort of thing doesn't happen in Canada, and it's fun to write about stuff that's so completely foreign to the way I grew up and to most people I know. :D

And dangit, but who knew that blogging could be more effective than a matchmaking service? ;)

CCOhio
01-04-2006, 11:50 PM
It seems to be a great way to waste vast amounts of time. Why just the other night it took me three hours to get the 'bookshelf' figured out and typed out exactly the way I want it.

I suppose with increased knowledge of basic html tags that sort of thing will not take as long to accomplish. But there is always more html to learn and procrastinate with. Why not? I have 10 days before my article is due...right?

ETA - my blog: http://acuppacoffee.blogspot.com/

Unique
01-05-2006, 01:11 AM
I blog for my friends at AW. No one else is crazy enough to read it.

KAM
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Thank you for this thread, Dawno! I am new to blogging. My husband made me a website for Christmas and I'm now working on filling it with content. Since I'm not published, I thought I would use my blog to document the process of finishing my first novel. I was nervous to start, to be honest. Writing has always been my private little venture and I don't talk about it much unless my friends and family press me. Having a website and a blog makes me feel very exposed, even if it is just my husband and my mom reading it http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif.

SeanDSchaffer
01-05-2006, 09:02 AM
....I plan on starting a blog soon. I will be doing it for a number of people, not the least of which is myself. I want to use the blog to improve my writing and give myself and my work greater exposure in the writing world at large.

I think it would be a wise investment into my career, and I'm hoping other writers will be able to benefit from it, too.

Dawno
01-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Goodness! I have so many new folks to welcome - and new blogs to read! So, welcome to

Richard (hope your semester ended well and your writing is coming along)

Joanne, its letting the world see that occasional rant that tells us how caring you are

blisswriter, I hope you'll share your link here as well (is it over on the AW Blogs thread? I'll be looking but after I finish this post)

Paint, first I thought you ran naked through a blog, like a virtual streaker, then I stopped and re-read it :) I'm so glad you're sharing here

Annabella, it's been nearly a month - how's the new blog coming along? (I'm going to go check it out soon!) If you want readers (and some don't - so no judging here) you should comment on other blogs, share your link and put up other links too. Seems to work - I think I have about 20 pretty loyal readers. Makes me feel guilty if I don't post! I like that :)

smbwallace, did you make money? If you wouldn't mind sharing some tips we've got the "ads on blogs (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22414)" thread, another about blogging to get paid by the word (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23625), and another one on "blogit, good for income (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23900)" - if you want to add to those conversations or start a new thread, feel free to share what you learned - I'm sure it would be appreciated.

quidscribis - What a wonderful story! blogging had some definite upside for you! Thanks for sharing about the positive things that have happened. Have you seen Sir Arthur Clarke since you moved to Sri Lanka? Sorry, I'm a raving Science Fiction fangirl :)

CCOhio - how's the writing for that deadline coming? I know what you mean about tweaking the template. I get so involved sometimes. Keep that sense of perspective ;)

Unique - I bet if you checked your site meter you'd find there are folks other than from AW who've discovered you. If not, want me to find some and send them over?? :)

KAM, you're so welcome. Thanks to Jenna, for creating this sub-forum! When you're ready to have a larger audience, please give us the link here. It would be wonderful to see what you've done with your site. I know what you mean about feeling exposed, and as you might have noticed on other posts, it's a pretty common feeling.

And Sean - I'm so very glad you decided to drop by! I hope you are getting plenty of help, we've got some experts hanging around here and they have been very generous with their advice.

Happy New Year everyone - I look forward to reading all your blogs in 2006.

L M Ashton
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
quidscribis - What a wonderful story! blogging had some definite upside for you! Thanks for sharing about the positive things that have happened. Have you seen Sir Arthur Clarke since you moved to Sri Lanka? Sorry, I'm a raving Science Fiction fangirl :) :D Yeah, I rather like my odd blog beginnings/marriage story. It's enough to make most people's jaws drop. :D

I haven't met Arthur C. Clarke, although my husband, also a science fiction writer, has interviewed him and exchanged emails with him in the past for an article he, my husband, wrote for a local newspaper. They're still sometimes in contact. Arthur's getting old, you know, and his health isn't the greatest from what I gather, but his foundation (http://www.clarkefoundation.org/) does some pretty interesting work here.

SeanDSchaffer
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
And Sean - I'm so very glad you decided to drop by! I hope you are getting plenty of help, we've got some experts hanging around here and they have been very generous with their advice.

Yes, I've been getting great help tonight. Unfortunately, I've also been getting great amounts of numbness in my left wrist (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome--Oh, Goody!) so I won't be starting my blog today, although I do plan on getting it started in the next couple days.

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome, and I've got to get off here before my left hand falls off.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/e2thud.gif

Have a good night, everyone!

Edited to Add:

Now I can say why I do blog. I do it for myself, mostly, to improve my skills as a writer. But I also blog for reader's sakes as well as other writers. If my work can entertain, cool. If it can help other writers in their aspirations, awesome!

astonwest
01-07-2006, 06:41 AM
I would love to blog--but I'm afraid of getting into too much me, me, me, and I, I, I, and boring me.
Make your blog (almost completely) fictional...and it becomes quite exciting...