PDA

View Full Version : Agent's location?

kidcharlemagne
08-13-2011, 03:07 AM
When querying agents do you start with New York City first or is location becoming less of an issue?

hillaryjacques
08-13-2011, 03:53 AM
I believe it is less of an issue than it has been in the past, but the majority of successful agents are still in NYC. The important thing is whether they have sound publishing contacts and have made recent sales (to reputable publishers) in your genre.

Becca C.
08-13-2011, 04:01 AM
It's not much of an issue anymore, with the advent of email. Plus a lot of non-NYC agents make frequent trips there anyway.

Jamesaritchie
08-13-2011, 04:49 AM
A New York agent is still most likely to have better contacts. E-mail is just fast snail mail, and no substitute for actually having lunch with an editor at a moment's notice.

Ryan_Sullivan
08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
No. My agent's based in CA and he's in constant contact with NY editors. Location doesn't matter, what does matter is that the agent stays active and connected.

kidcharlemagne
08-13-2011, 02:53 PM
A New York agent is still most likely to have better contacts. E-mail is just fast snail mail, and no substitute for actually having lunch with an editor at a moment's notice.

So, in general, do most writers start querying focusing only on NYC then move further out if they don't score a NY agent?

Lucy
08-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Who cares what "most writers" do? Do what is right for you. Research agents based on what genres they sell, what they're looking for, what you have to offer, and then submit. Go from the top down (i.e., your "dream agent" - a term I despise - to the ones you're less excited about.)

If it is an agent in NYC, that's great. But there are good agents in Denver and Washington DC too. So don't focus on geography, focus on fit.

Cyia
08-13-2011, 08:28 PM
So, in general, do most writers start querying focusing only on NYC then move further out if they don't score a NY agent?

Build your list of potential agents based on their track record, not their location. There are excellent agents in California, and I can think of at least one in Denver and one in Washington D.C.

Reputation and experience mean more than zip code.

James D. Macdonald
08-13-2011, 10:29 PM
A worthwhile agent has sold books you've heard of.

kidcharlemagne
08-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Who cares what "most writers" do?

I'm interested because for Hollywoood you focus on L.A. agents only. The credibility factor reduces dramatically once you move out of the L.A. area.

If publishing is 'location agnostic' that's fine by me as it expands the hit list :-)

Tromboli
08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I know of two of the best agencies out there that are not based in NY. (one is CA, one is CO, go figure :)). Make sure they are a good, reputable agency that are making sales and don't worry about the rest. Most agents are based in NYC, but just because one isn't doesn't make them any less of a great agent.