Skydiving: No Jump Experience, Heading into a Gutted City

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone,

I tried looking, but it seems I'm either not searching in the right place, or this topic isn't one that comes up much in normal discussions:

Set Up
Only two characters are on a stealth-luxury plane: the pilot and the MC.

The pilot puts the plane on auto-pilot and goes to push the MC out of the plane. The MC is wearing the parachute and gear.

MC's Background in Skydiving
My MC has basic skydiving training. But he's backed out of numerous jumps thanks to altophobia. However, he has no choice in this particular jump -- he gets pushed out of the plane.

Problem
The MC needs to reach a monument in the city centre. Unfortunately, the city has been taken over by demons and much of it razed. Buildings still standing are melted shells of themselves and some still have their rooftop spiked railings. These are clustered together.

In the middle of the building targeted for landing, there's a huge hole that opens into the basement of the building.

Questions

• How likely is it for the MC to manoeuvre his way onto this roof and survive without severe injury?
  • If this is not a feasible scenario, what would you suggest?

Many thanks, everyone! (^_^)

----------------------------

Further Information:
Genre
Urban fantasy with futuristic elements.

Rationale

• The ground is crawling with demons.
  • Remaining rooftops are abandoned (since the demons under the new leadership don't think it worth patrolling the rooftops).
  • Using a plane because the MC absolutely refuses to get into a helicopter (he would disable its flight capabilities by doing something stupid to the controls or fuselage (he doesn't know much about these things)).
Assumptions

• Wind, speed, altitude, etc., are all ideal. No smoke obscures anything, and if clouds are a bother, I can remove those.
  • The plane is futuristic enough that circling on auto-pilot is flawless.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest issue is with his limited experience and his ability to guide the parasail type chute to a pin point landing. A standard parachute would be even worse to guide.

There is also the fact that the target, hole in the roof, is going to be emitting updrafts which will want to push him back up.

Lastly, there is also his fear which will be kicking in and I am not sure he is going to be able to really handle all that is required of him.

If the MC is important enough, more than likely a tandem jump would be the number one choice of those planning the mission so as not to lose the guy they need to get into the building. Have the pilot hook him up for a tandem jump. There is also the added bonus of the extra weight making it harder for an updraft to push them away from the target.

If the tandem jump is not an option, I would rather see him land on the roof and then use the stairs... More believable...

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I don't have a problem with it. The Character had training (even if it was limited to theory) but skydiving into a rustic meadow is not like diving into the straights of HEll. I'd have no problem believing that the character's adrenalin was able to temporarily overpower the phobia. I mean, that's sort of what adrenalin is for...

By the way, I would also not have a problem with the adrenalin crash, meaning adrenalin levels drop after the rush of near death expletives deplete and the character finds a nice soft warm place to take a nap.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Questions

• How likely is it for the MC to manoeuvre his way onto this roof and survive without severe injury?
Realistically? Slim and none.

As an adventuresome youth, I wasted too much time as an army parachutist and civilian skydiver. My experience as a jumpmaster with people who think they want to jump but have hardcore height phobias is they are basket cases from exit to boots on the ground. Steerable sport chutes which turn and produce forward speed require much guided practice for pinpoint landings. The chances for a first-time spot landing are slim, but (unrealistically) Dan Brown had his freefalling hero hold a seat cushion over his head to guide him to a river landing at over 100 MPH which he miraculously survives. A reading public buying that one will buy anything.

As said, if the chute is an emergency, non-steerable canopy, he pretty much descends at the mercy of the gentle breezes.

If this is not a feasible scenario, what would you suggest?

My first thought is to somehow write it so a pro skydiver is forced to do a tandem jump with your MC, snapped together to the pro's front D-rings until they land.

Another is that his target has some kind of suction vortex which will draw his chute to itself. That way, luck can get him close, and the vacuum will get him inside.

Yeah, those are a bit lame.

Last edited:

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Do you need to re-use the plane? :)

If your pilot was an experienced jumpmaster, he could do the tandem jump with your hero, and just let the plane fly on until it runs out of gas.

However... I think that most people afraid of heights would, given only those two choices, take the helicopter over the chute. Even if he had to be drugged or tied up in the chopper.

lcwrite

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't made a jump in twenty years, and only about a dozen before that including two tandems. I seem to recall that the military subsidized most tandem jumps back in the 80s because they viewed tandem jumps as the best way to get an expert in some topic, with no skydiving expertise, into an area quickly and cheaply.

The square chutes are pretty manueverable and you say your MC has jumped before but also backed out of jumping a few times. Sounds like me (after a minor injury I got spooked and rode the plane down several times with jumps in between). If you say the MC has something like 150 jumps it can be believed that he can land on a target like a rooftop but you may have some winds to deal with at rooftop level while at the ground the winds are calm. If the building is only a story or two high that might not be a problem. A hi-rise though almost certainly has some winds to deal with (and you might have the MC land on the roof but add tension as the winds drag the chute...and the MC...toward the edge of the roof.

I'm a bit bothered by the mention of spiked rails on the roof. That could make landing anything, even getting out of a helicopter, a real challenge.

But you're dealing with fiction and a fictional world. Is it possible that the canopy can have a self-steering mechanism that keys onto some target on the rooftop (like laser guided weaponry that uses ground based targeting systems)?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. Thanks for the great responses; the detail and information are invaluable!

I've decided to rewrite the scene so the MC gets a tandem jump with a secondary character (already introduced previously) who has the experience (not the pilot). I'm keeping the spiked railings and hole (have noted the updraft, etc., huge thanks for pointing that out!) but since the city has mostly been razed there will be some flat-ish areas. The MC gets dragged out and will have his eyes closed all the way. And he will be too terrified to offer a squeak . Hehehe.

The MC won't have a chance to collapse fully yet, but near collapse will serve, unless I can get some comedy out of the situation. Hmmm. Will ponder.

Basket case on the hardcore phobia also noted. Thanks for the information. I'm going have lots of fun writing this one (and will have the time since my computer is down)!

I did wonder about Dan Brown's MC doing that but I have no such experience so put it down to questionable fictional physics and read the rest of the story.

Again, thank you for the wonderful help, everyone! :)

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the chopper vs plane: MC quirkily refuses to get in a chopper even when he's dead (so he tells me). He wants an opaque cabin. :)

And I did consider the guidance to rooftop thing, but it wouldn't be logical given the state of the city. Thanks for the suggestion, however; I may be able to use it elsewhere. :)

Last edited: