Know anything about viburnum?

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I saved and saved for months so I could have a professional landscaper come and do some much-needed heavy tree pruning. He was here yesterday. My mom has some viburnum that's had a big growth explosion from the heavy-rain-then-heavy-sun of the past month or so. She wanted me to ask the landscaper before he left if it was safe to prune viburnum this time of year (I guess you're only supposed to prune it late winter/early spring).

Did I remember to ask him? Of course not even though I wrote myself a note. :Headbang: grrr.

Does anybody here know if it's okay to prune viburnum this time of year? My mom said it's kind of thin, flimsy new growth.

Any advice/pointers/etc. greatly appreciated!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd be sacrificing next year's bloom and this autumn's berries, but it won't hurt the plant itself this time of year.

If the growth is literally growth you don't want - like you want a 6 ft bush and yours is 8 feet now - cutting 2 ft now won't hurt anything. Just don't cut it back farther than that.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Did I remember to ask him? Of course not even though I wrote myself a note.
I'd call the landscaper and ask his advice over the phone. I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering a few questions for a recent customer.