PDA

View Full Version : Water- A Writer's Best Friend (Moved from Novels)

chekzchevov
08-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I love water

Ambitious
08-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I'll keep it in mind thanks.

Maryn
08-12-2011, 01:15 AM
My whiskey isn't going to like this...

Maryn, who actually prefers wine, but not for writing

JayMan
08-12-2011, 01:51 AM
My whiskey isn't going to like this...
Likewise. I suppose I could have a few sips of water between swigs of whiskey. :idea:

lucidzfl
08-12-2011, 01:58 AM
I definitely keep a tall glass of clear liquid near me, but yeah it ain't water.

lbender
08-12-2011, 02:05 AM
I hesitate to say this, the topic of the thread being what it is, but whatever floats your boat.

quicklime
08-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Likewise. I suppose I could have a few sips of water between swigs of whiskey. :idea:

think of it as a palate-cleanser

coffee or tea here when writing, unless here, where I do sometimes post after a fair bit of wine/beer/other alcoholic delights

chekzchevov
08-12-2011, 02:10 AM
I had no idea that so many writers were drinkers. I couldn't imagine "drinking" while writing. That would be terrible.

quicklime
08-12-2011, 02:34 AM
I had no idea that so many writers were drinkers. I couldn't imagine "drinking" while writing. That would be terrible.

I think it is rarely helpful, and I don't, when working on fiction.

you sound a bit agenda-driven though, and for those who do, if it works and/or they are happy, who am I to judge???

dangerousbill
08-12-2011, 02:46 AM
This has been a Public Service Announcement from Dalton

Done. But not until I've had my first 2 or 3 cups of coffee.

lucidzfl
08-12-2011, 03:08 AM
I had no idea that so many writers were drinkers.

LOL WHAT??

FREDERICK EXLEY
"After a month's sobriety my faculties became unbearably acute and I found myself unhealthily clairvoyant, having insights into places I'd as soon not journey to. Unlike some men, I had never drunk for boldness or charm or wit; I had used alcohol for precisely what it was, a depressant to check the mental exhilaration produced by extended sobriety."

HARRY CREWS
"Alcohol whipped me. Alcohol and I had many, many marvelous times together. We laughed, we talked, we danced at the party together; then one day I woke up and the band had gone home and I was lying in the broken glass with a shirt full of puke and I said, 'Hey, man, the ball game's up'."

JACK KEROUAC
"As I grew older I became a drunk. Why? Because I like ecstasy of the mind."

JACK LONDON
"I was carrying a beautiful alcoholic conflagration around with me. The thing fed on its own heat and flamed the fiercer. There was no time, in all my waking time, that I didn't want a drink. I began to anticipate the completion of my daily thousand words by taking a drink when only five hundred words were written. It was not long until I prefaced the beginning of the thousand words with a drink."

F. SCOTT FITZGERALD
"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

EDGAR ALLAN POE
"I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom."

WILLIAM FAULKNER
"“There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others. But a man shouldn't fool with booze until he's fifty; then he's a damn fool if he doesn't.”

DOROTHY PARKER
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." -Parker

ERNEST HEMINGWAY
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

HUNTER S THOMPSON
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

HARLES BUKOWSKI
"Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now."

JayMan
08-12-2011, 03:20 AM
I think it is rarely helpful, and I don't, when working on fiction.
I know exactly what you mean. I limit myself to only a couple if I'm writing. Any more than just enough to take the edge off and the writing suffers.

However, when my characters are intoxicated, I have been known to give them company for the scene to ensure that their dialogue and thoughts and behavior are appropriate for their level of inebriation. Call it field research for the sake of verisimilitude.

Eddyz Aquila
08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
A good glass of cool water on the rocks with a freshly squeezed lemon inside will definitely sooth my soul and clear my thoughts. :)

Bartholomew
08-12-2011, 03:37 AM
I could never drink water. Fish fuck in it.

Soul
08-12-2011, 03:53 AM
The only problem with continually drinking water for me is the fact that I then have to pee every 5.2 minutes an hour later.

I do write on a netbook which I could take into the bathroom, but EWWW.

BjornAbust
08-12-2011, 04:01 AM
I've just recently started doing this and I find that it helps me to think faster, smarter, and makes me feel like my brainflow has been doubled.

I usually set an enormous pile of cocaine on my desk, next to my laptop. Does the same thing for me. I guess water would be cheaper, though...

soullesshuman
08-12-2011, 04:30 AM
I though about 2-3 bottles of water a day. Terrible for my bladder, and doesn't help much with my mind. I find a better way to find reprieve would be to walk onto my balcony and contemplate my navel for a few minutes. If it's warm enough I may even take a nap on my balcony.

defcon6000
08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
In turn this will also get you to get up and go to the bathroom more often, allowing your blood to flow and giving you the small break you never knew you needed.

You know, five minutes of jogging in place or even doing stretches can give you the same results without the bathroom trip. You just have to be mindful of how much time you're spending in front of the screen (chances are it's too much).

Also, you can die from drinking too much water (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication).

This has been a Public Service Announcement from defcon. :tongue

chekzchevov
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM
You know, five minutes of jogging in place or even doing stretches can give you the same results without the bathroom trip. You just have to be mindful of how much time you're spending in front of the screen (chances are it's too much).

Also, you can die from drinking too much water (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication).

This has been a Public Service Announcement from defcon. :tongue

I want to meet the dumb son of a bitch that dies from drinking too much water and ask him why he thought it would be a good idea to ingest the Atlantic ocean.

ChaosTitan
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Our bodies are what? Eighty percent water? And most people simply do not drink enough of it. In between my morning and evening coffee, I always have a glass of water nearby to sip from.

Chris1981
08-12-2011, 05:53 PM
There's water in Mountain Dew. *holds up bottle* See? Right there on the label.

Reziac
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I hesitate to say this, the topic of the thread being what it is, but whatever floats your boat.

This is why we prefer the phrase, "Whatever floats your corpse."

Mharvey
08-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I actually start with 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, then progress onto green tea chai. It's like water on steroids. ;)

quicklime
08-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I want to meet the dumb son of a bitch that dies from drinking too much water and ask him why he thought it would be a good idea to ingest the Atlantic ocean.

before you get all smug about it, a number of athletes have done just that. Usually athletes, granted, but too much water can and does kill.

FWIW, feel-goodery aside, the "8 glasses a day" thing is being re-examined. Now, I won't lie, I usually have a good eight myself, in part because I'm a fidgety SOB, but I don't buy into the mantra, either--we have kidneys (most of us) and under normal circumstances do fairly well at regulating our own water balance. You may be getting a "boost" as much from getting up a bit, the distraction of an occasional sip, etc. as you are from the water itself.

backslashbaby
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
There was a radio contest where a woman died from drinking too much water (the contest itself). They told her she'd be fine. Moral: don't take medical advice from DJs.

I'm always drinking something. Always. Yes, I take more bathroom breaks than a woman pregnant with triplets :)

Buffysquirrel
08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Drinking when you're not thirsty lowers your IQ temporarily. Apparently.

*glares at cup of tea*

COchick
08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I drink a lot of water, but apparently not enough to kill myself. I aim for about 100 oz a day.

And if anyone is trying to drink more water, I find that it helps if my glass has a straw. I like to suck. :)

Lyra Jean
08-12-2011, 06:16 PM
There was a radio contest where a woman died from drinking too much water (the contest itself). They told her she'd be fine. Moral: don't take medical advice from DJs.

I'm always drinking something. Always. Yes, I take more bathroom breaks than a woman pregnant with triplets :)

I remember that she drank like two gallons of water in less than hour or something in order to win her kid some video game system.

When I was in basic we always had to put salt on our food and drink what was essentially gatorade in order to keep our electrolytes in check. Of course when we were in the field, i.e. outside exercising, we drank water.

quicklime
08-12-2011, 06:17 PM

it's usually from hyponatremia, IIRC--you drink so much your blood pressure goes up from the increased blood volume, which turns your kidneys to eleven, which leads to you pissing out enough potassium (and sometimes other ions like sodium and calcium) that you die from cardiac arrhythmia

shaldna
08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
don't you think the wine makes me pee enough as it is without making me drink water too.

crunchyblanket
08-12-2011, 07:34 PM
it's usually from hyponatremia, IIRC--you drink so much your blood pressure goes up from the increased blood volume, which turns your kidneys to eleven, which leads to you pissing out enough potassium (and sometimes other ions like sodium and calcium) that you die from cardiac arrhythmia

I could be wrong, but I thought she died of a ruptured bladder. I may well be thinking of someone else though.

Green tea for me. All the benefits of water plus antioxidants!

soullesshuman
08-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought she died of a ruptured bladder. I may well be thinking of someone else though.

Green tea for me. All the benefits of water plus antioxidants!

Black tea technically has more antioxidants, but it also has more caffeine in it, if you want to avoid that kind of thing.

New discussion, what is the best drink to avoid dehydration?

smcc360
08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I have water on my desk. Salt water, from my tears of rejection. :cry:

soullesshuman
08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I have water on my desk. Salt water, from my tears of rejection. :cry:

Is this considered re-use or re-cycle? Either way, good work being green!

(joking, of course)

I don't know if salt water helps you, salt kinda detracts from the water.

urbanmum
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Jennifer Strange (from the aforementioned radio contest) died of water intoxication according to the Forensic Pathologist. (http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/14959/Jennifer_Strange_Trial_Coverage_The_Defense_Begins _Then_Rests)

I never liked the taste of water growing up, it used to make me gag but in the past couple years I've found a couple of brands I can stomach (ice cold) and I must admit I do concentrate better when I drink about 1 litre a day.

tim290280
08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm going to comment on the amount you actually need to drink to die from excessive water intake. Calculate 2.5% of your bodyweight and take 80% of that figure. That is how much water you lose per day in a normal environment without exercise. That is how much you need to drink to maintain equilibrium (all other things being equal).

Now your body can process 800 to 1,000 millilitres per hour without experiencing a net gain in water. So add your previous figure to this figure of 19-24 litres per day. That is how much you can drink in a day.

Of course hyponatremia is the real limiter here. There are several factors at play, including water intake, that can lead to a blood sodium concentration below 135 millimoles per litre. The normal concentration is meant to be somewhere between 135 and 145 millimoles per litre.

So the real risks come from excess plain water intake: without food, post exercise in a stressed state, or in a salt deficient diet. Normally the excess level is going to be far above 1 litre per hour and approaching amounts that you wouldn't normally be able to consume. The above states bring this level down to levels that could be consumed in an hour, but we are still talking excessive amounts of water.

My basic point is that dying from excessive water intake is not going to be caused by drinking water, but rather drowning in it.

Reziac
08-12-2011, 09:04 PM
One of the symptoms of having drunk too much water is, ironically, excessive thirst -- you drink and drink and still can't seem to quench the thirst. Taking a little salt instead (or just about any electrolyte) stops the thirst almost instantly.

See also http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001431/

flarue
08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Funny, yesterday I just happened on to an article about chronic dehydration and saw that I had many of the symptoms. My wife is always after me to drink more water. I might go an entire day without water, but a glass of tea, fo coffee, and juice in the evening...

I've been very lethargic for a long time.. tired out in the afternoons, trouble keeping my thoughts clear. I thought I was just burned out from work.

So i grabbed a 1.6 liter of water at the corner, and drank it throughout the day. didn't hit a lull until I was packing up to go home at the end of the day.

i got another bottle today. I really do think it makes a difference!

Huh. I might have to start drinking more water- I've had those symptoms myself, lately. Thanks for the tip- I'll see if the water makes a difference. :)

lucidzfl
08-12-2011, 09:44 PM
All this talk of water is making me fiend for booze!

Jamesaritchie
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Water? You mean that stuff fish crap in? You can drink plain water? Really? I thought you had to add alcohol to purify it, and caffeine to activate its energy potential.

lucidzfl
08-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I actually drink a lot of water during the day. Probably 6-8 glasses. I don't typically drink water again until bedtime. I don't drink any soda at night or any caffeine for what its worth after about noon.

I will have a cocktail when I get home, and then wine with dinner though.

I haven't "drank" and written in a long time actually.

AlwaysJuly
08-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Dalton) http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6432358#post6432358)

before you get all smug about it, a number of athletes have done just that. Usually athletes, granted, but too much water can and does kill.Yeah, it's a real concern for marathoners (of which I am one) and I don't think we're dumb. Crazy, yes, dumb, no. Running 26.2 miles one tends to drink a lot of water, and the issue is with water retention, not what's obviously excessive consumption. Some marathoners drink when they're not thirsty because of that belief water's always good for you. Not so much.

There have been quite a few deaths from hyponatremia in the distance running community, and I hate seeing the misinformation about it. We're not talking about people sitting there downing the contents of a kiddie pool for shits and giggles; we're talking about health-focused athletes drinking what seems like a reasonable amount of water for their effort given all the "yay water!" stuff floating about.

But I don't think that's a big concern sitting at your desk writing. :p

Reziac
08-13-2011, 12:21 AM
But I don't think that's a big concern sitting at your desk writing. :p

I dunno... judging from some of the stuff I've read, I'm fairly sure some writers have water on the brain.... <gd&rlh>

chekzchevov
08-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Water's scary now

lucidzfl
08-13-2011, 02:14 AM
None of us are going to die while writing because of an H2O overdose, and if you do, then maybe your moronic self shouldn't have been alive in the first place.

You're sure awful name-calley for someone pretty new here.

Just sayin'.

EDITED to add: Going to go to a bar after work today. I'm going to drink to you. Then I'll have a drink for my wife. Then I'll have a drink for myself. Then I'll have a drink for my fallen homeys. Then... We'll see what the tab looks like when I wake up on the floor of my house.

Lyra Jean
08-13-2011, 06:14 AM
OMG, just stop, we ALL know that you can die from drinking too much water, just as you can die from too much anything. Please don't act like you're educating anybody. I was just making a joke and the fact that you can't recognize that disturbs me greatly.

None of us are going to die while writing because of an H2O overdose, and if you do, then maybe your moronic self shouldn't have been alive in the first place.

You can't control how people respond to your post. Quick was only pointing out the fact that yes you can die from a water overdose. Didn't say it was easy to do.

quicklime
08-13-2011, 08:37 AM
OMG, just stop, we ALL know that you can die from drinking too much water, just as you can die from too much anything. Please don't act like you're educating anybody. I was just making a joke and the fact that you can't recognize that disturbs me greatly.

well, let's see....someone else first mentioned too much water can kill, your clever retort was something about anyone dumb enough to drink the atlantic ocean....

I mentioned that it wasn't common, but people do indeed die. several others mentioned the same as well, with several cases including marathoners and some radio contest lady. Apparently you took this as a personal attack, since the best you had to offer in response was to suggest I was too dumb to live, rather than considering the possibility it had anything to do with your initial, glib and somewhat prickish, response about anyone dumb enough to drink the atlantic.

Welcome to AW, dalton. You seem to be setting yourself up for a short stay.

Susan Littlefield
08-13-2011, 08:53 AM
I drink a lot of water, and love my cold green tea too. Send my to the tinkle stall a lot, though.

defcon6000
08-13-2011, 08:54 AM
OMG, just stop, we ALL know that you can die from drinking too much water, just as you can die from too much anything. That's right, "anything" is the number one cause of death among writers. "Anything" can strike at any time and any place. You could be next!

:tongue

Welcome to AW, dalton. You seem to be setting yourself up for a short stay.
:popcorn:

Susan Littlefield
08-13-2011, 09:16 AM
OMG, just stop, we ALL know that you can die from drinking too much water, just as you can die from too much anything.

You can't die from eating too much popcorn.
You can't die from pounding away on the word processor.
You can't die from petting your cat or dog, or even your pet rock.
However, I wish I had my mother's fudge recipe because it is to die for!

None of us are going to die while writing because of an H2O overdose, and if you do, then maybe your moronic self shouldn't have been alive in the first place.Seriously, the story about the woman dying from too much water is true. Read more here (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill).

Actually, on the bold part: death by too much water can indeed happen by accident. Most people don't drink enough water to die from, anyway.

blacbird
08-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Seriously, I want to make this short and to the point. In these long bursts of writing for a few hours or more on end, please get yourself a water bottle of Talisker and set it on your desktop.

Editorial correction.

caw

Mara
08-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I drink lots and lots of water, and have a filter on my refrigerator so I can. But I also eat a good bit of salt. (I'm on medicine that sorta requires that I do both.)

Anyway, I've found the bathroom break thing actually does help me with writing.

AlwaysJuly
08-13-2011, 11:05 AM
That's right, "anything" is the number one cause of death among writers. "Anything" can strike at any time and any place. You could be next!

I hear that King's next horror novel is actually going to be titled ANYTHING.

Chrisla
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
don't you think the wine makes me pee enough as it is without making me drink water too.

By the time I get some writing time in, it's wine time for me. I drank water all day. You can't seriously mean in the late hours . . . ?

soullesshuman
08-13-2011, 12:38 PM
I still prefer energy drinks and the like.

Mana potions are the best!

dazzlejazz
08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Why doesn't the water in coffee count???

bearilou
08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Water? You mean that stuff fish crap in? You can drink plain water? Really? I thought you had to add alcohol to purify it, and caffeine to activate its energy potential.

:hooray: I think I read a scientific study about that!

Reziac
08-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Why doesn't the water in coffee count???

Because coffee, tea, and most soda-type drinks are diuretics, make you piss away more water than they contain -- thus they actually dehydrate you a bit. It's a pretty good policy, hydration-wise, to counter a cup of coffee/tea/soda/etc. with a cup or two of water, to make up for what it'll remove.

Mr Flibble
08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
The only time I drink just water is, ironically, when I'm working in the pub.

My brain's working overtime as it is, I don't want to go making it worse!

A.r.p.
08-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Water is for, like, animals . . . man. If they could brew and steep and distill, you think they'd ever touch that stuff again? Do ya?

Archerbird
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Dehydration seriously slows down your brain. I can't for the life of me remember why right now (it's the whisky's fault), but if you do a little google-magic you'll easily find out.

Seriously, the story about the woman dying from too much water is true. Read more here (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill).

Actually, on the bold part: death by too much water can indeed happen by accident. Most people don't drink enough water to die from, anyway.

It's true, there have actually been quite a few people that have died of drinking too much water. Ask your doctor, hell, even nurses and profesional caretakers should know that.

James D. Macdonald
08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Every year you lose a few fraternity pledges from water intoxication. It can be done.

But that doesn't mean that most Americans aren't walking around chronically dehydrated, and that drinking more water isn't a good idea.

Reziac
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
That's right, "anything" is the number one cause of death among writers. "Anything" can strike at any time and any place. You could be next!

Now look, you pack of reprobates have gone and given defcon more weird ideas (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221887)!

Tho you'd think by now everyone would know the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (http://dhmo.org/). ;)

defcon6000
08-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Now look, you pack of reprobates have gone and given defcon more weird ideas (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221887)!:D

Tho you'd think by now everyone would know the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (http://dhmo.org/). ;)Hmmm, perhaps I should write a story about that, too... :evil

WriteMinded
08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Seriously, I want to make this short and to the point. In these long bursts of writing for a few hours or more on end, please get yourself a water bottle and set it on your desktop.

I've just recently started doing this and I find that it helps me to think faster, smarter, and makes me feel like my brainflow has been doubled. When sitting there doing nothing but staring at a computer screen, you'll find yourself drinking the water just to drink it- because it's there. In turn this will also get you to get up and go to the bathroom more often, allowing your blood to flow and giving you the small break you never knew you needed.

Really guys, water. All the time. 24/7. You'd be surprised just how much of an impact it might have on your writing and/or writing habits.

This has been a Public Service Announcement from DaltonAnd I, for one, thank you for that.

Most people do not drink enough water to stay healthy. And, as answers to your post have confirmed, they do not understand that many of the things they prefer to drink, coffee and alcohol among them, are dehydrating.

I got that into my own stubborn head a few years ago. Just to prove my son wrong, I started drinking water, as much as he said I needed. Not only did I feel better in general, I slept better, and miracle of miracles, I almost never get migraines anymore.

That said, I still do love my coffee. :)

quicklime
08-14-2011, 03:44 AM
And I, for one, thank you for that.

Most people do not drink enough water to stay healthy. And, as answers to your post have confirmed, they do not understand that many of the things they prefer to drink, coffee and alcohol among them, are dehydrating.

. :)

1. the alcohol was a joke

2. there's a pretty solid amount of research to say while caffeine is indeed a diuretic, at the doses in tea and coffee you still put more H2O into your system than you piss out. Granted, that's just science and actual testing and all.......but the folks mentioning coffee and tea may have never heard caffeine is a diuretic, or perhaps they've done their homework.

Susan Littlefield
08-14-2011, 05:16 AM
Look what we've done! We got funny about water and now we're in the party room!

:partyguy::Cake::partyguy::Cake:

Silver King
08-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Look what we've done! We got funny about water and now we're in the party room!

It should be noted, as most of us know, that the "Respect" rule applies here as it does anywhere else on AW. And since this thread is here now, a word or two about the following post is in order:

You are welcome to disagree with whomever you wish. You can rail and spit and put up your fists all you want. But you will do so respectfully, which means using your skills as a writer, if you have any, to engage others in civil discourse without insulting them with childish rants simply because they don't agree with your position.

That's how it works, here, including this room.

Susan Littlefield
08-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Have you drank your water today?

soullesshuman
08-18-2011, 02:03 AM

I have a bowl of watery porridge daily. Does that count?

Chris1981
08-18-2011, 02:25 AM

Yup. Despite the wisecrack I made earlier about Dew containing water, I do drink plain water. With triple-digit highs still hitting my part of Texas, I think this is the only sane way to go. :)

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2011, 04:35 AM
My son's teacher has all the kids bring a water bottle to class. She's firm believer that keeping the brain hydrated helps the kids learn.

Personally, I prefer a tall cold glass of water to any of those other carbonated or flavored drinks.

Write drunk, edit sober.

Reziac
08-18-2011, 04:48 AM
I always have a glass of water to hand, and I never go anywhere without a bottle of water (and a gallon jugful in the back of the truck) and a salt packet in my pocket. But I'm a desert-rat; you learn to stay hydrated (and salinated) out here, or you wind up sick, if not dead.

Susan Littlefield
08-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I have a bowl of watery porridge daily. Does that count?

Of course it does!

Susan Littlefield
08-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Yup. Despite the wisecrack I made earlier about Dew containing water, I do drink plain water. With triple-digit highs still hitting my part of Texas, I think this is the only sane way to go. :)

Unless ya get crazy drinking too much water. :D

I heard about the triple digits in Texas. So far, here in California we've been anywhere from 75 to 90 degrees, which is not as hot as we have had in past years.

I love my water.

My son's teacher has all the kids bring a water bottle to class. She's firm believer that keeping the brain hydrated helps the kids learn.

Personally, I prefer a tall cold glass of water to any of those other carbonated or flavored drinks.

There's some commercial on TV with kids and a coach at a sports event. She hand them some sugar juice drinks and tells them up cause they're losing water. One very intelligent kid says, "Well, if we're losing water, shouldn't we be drinking water?" The kids got water!

I always have a glass of water to hand, and I never go anywhere without a bottle of water (and a gallon jugful in the back of the truck) and a salt packet in my pocket. But I'm a desert-rat; you learn to stay hydrated (and salinated) out here, or you wind up sick, if not dead.

Yep, I think it's important to stay hydrated anyway with good old fashioned water. Those wonderful tasting sugar drinks just are not good for us.

bettielee
08-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Well. I don't know. The coffee... it doesn't like when I spend too much time with other fluids. It's just because he cares, you know. He just wants to make sure I'm ok and alert.... and you know. It's not like that. It's not like he doesn't let me have water when I get thirsty and stuff. You know.

Our relationship is just... complicated.

Susan Littlefield
08-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Bettielee,

Yeah, green tea gets very upset when I turn to water too much. I think GT is very jealous of the clarity that water exhibits. After all, GT can be a little colorful at times.