View Full Version : Question on Acquiring Cover-Images for Adult eBooks

08-11-2011, 11:40 PM
This may be better for the erotica section, but here goes:

I write fetish erotica & I'm looking into self-publishing some ebooks--possibly on Smashwords or Amazon Kindle. I'll probably need to commission some striking cover art or photographs. I'm assuming I'll need to provide the artist or photographer with paperwork establishing the sale of the rights. Does anyone know where I might be able to pull a basic example of this kind of document? Or even just explain in simple terms what rights I'd need to acquire?

Second question, for extra credit: I've been thinking about buying a pack of photos sold by content providers for adult webmasters....anyone know if using those for ebook covers is permissible or if that usage is not covered under the agreements those folks ask for? I'll be asking this on a couple of webmaster forums, but if anyone here is knowledgeable, I'd be grateful!


08-13-2011, 12:10 AM
There are guidelines for most of the retailers that say no porn, so too "adult" would probably get you tossed.

The image I'm using for an avatar right now came from iStockphoto. But if I wanted a very particular custom image, I would check into ModelMayhem and find someone willing to do a TFP deal (time for prints aka models looking to build a portfolio) and take the picture myself.

If you buy a stock image from any of the big sites, the license will spell out how you can use it. I can use my current image an unlimited number of times for advertising and promotion, and sell 499,999 copies of the book. If I go over that I have to buy an extended license.

If you take the picture yourself, you will need the model to agree to similar terms of usage.

I don't have any idea what you would need from a professional photographer, but I expect you could ask one and find out.

08-14-2011, 04:49 AM
...I don't have any idea what you would need from a professional photographer, but I expect you could ask one and find out.

Thanks, Kathleen!


08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Most of the erotica cover art (and other cover art) you see is from image stock websites, where you buy the right to download and use the images. Commissioning an artist for a book cover is pretty simple. For instance, in my book cover business (link in signature) everything is handled via invoice. Invoices are sent via email, and they include a "buy" button, so there's no heavy paperwork. It's quick and painless, and we won't ask you to buy until the cover gets your seal of approval.