PDA

View Full Version : A Novice with a series, good? bad? or just plain ugly?

phantom000
08-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I am not sure which forum this belongs in so if i got it wrong i do apologize.

I have heard that when a first timer goes to a publisher and says their book is part of a series, trilogy or whatever, the publisher usually just tosses it in the rejection pile and sends the writer on his way.

The reason for this is because it is a big risk for most publishers to print one book by an unknown even bigger risk to publish two or three.

The reason I am asking is because i am working on a story that is looking like a series or at least a trilogy. I would love to see it in paper back with a publisher's trademark on it but i am nervous.

Mr Flibble
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Depends on the genre. For instance I've heard/read several agents say they can only sell series in fantasy, not stand alones because teh pubs want series.

However, I think it helps if the first could stand alone. That also gives you that ubiquitous line for queries: This is a stand alone novel with series potential.

Win/win :D

Rachael7
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I agree with IdiotsRUs. After reading through a lot of this stuff, it seems the stand alone plus series potential is the way to go. At least that's what I'll be doing. Good luck!

AlishaS
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Stand-alone with series potential is the way to go, I think. Mine was that way, and my publisher right away was interested in a series, but a different publisher(whom I was considering) wanted just the stand-alone and no series.
I think it depends on what they think can sell and how strong your novel is.

Also I'm a firm believer in writing a stand-alone, with series potential, but not actually writing the series (until the book sells) I'd rather work on new stuff, then waste time on writing an entire series that might never sell.

Crock-o-dile
08-12-2011, 02:22 AM
What everyone else said-- stand-alone with series potential is the way to go. When I signed with my agent, one of the first things she wanted to know was whether I had any other stories involving the same characters/world that book number one introduced. She said publishers would want to know.